How to Avoid a Cancellation

@JonYork Glad to hear the booking is going ahead and you haven’t lost out, but why you want to make anyone feel stupid, let alone guests who are paying you for a service?

And surely you choosing to rely on Airbnb income when you have a little one coming along, rather than having other income sources, is a decision you made as a couple and not one to guilt trip your guests about?

1 Like

Pick pick pick, Helsi, pick pick pick.

If you read it all, you see what he means, it’s not like he stood up and mocked the guests (that are trying to weasel out of a deal) loudly in public for half hour.

5 Likes

I didn’t say anywhere that he did @Barns. Pick. Pick. Pick.

And of course I read the whole comment before responding. Pick. Pick. Pick

At least I try and provide help and advice on this forum, as well as comment, rather than just making saracastic remarks @Barns

Ah, taking me literally, even though you must’ve guessed I wasn’t quoting you. Nice one :slight_smile:

lol, (pick pick pick)
If I’m right, please tell me to go and enjoy my one man melodrama :slight_smile:

Now you are just making yourself look silly by trying to backtrack,

Obviously you were quoting someone else and just happened to refer to them as Helsi.

I’ll leave you to enjoy your one man melodrama :slight_smile:

Thing is, I didn’t say that you had actually said anything, there are no quotes. I was just saying what he HADN’T done, as you’d overreacted with the ‘making them feel stupid’ thing.
You just like a little put down, here and there.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. Now let me muck it up with bit of hyper analysis.

It takes me 5 nights to make $250 but I get very few 5 night stays, I believe I’ve only had 2 out of 400+. But if I could get one and they didn’t make me miserable while they were here it would be an okay trade off as I, too, have plenty of good reviews. However, if it were 5 one nights guests over a period of time and I made the same $250 but got 5 bad reviews, that might take me down below the new standards. (4.7/4.8 SH) It’s unclear what happens when we slip below the target. Lose SH status is clear but what about for work category or basic standards. Do they disappear you for a week or longer? Does it actually end up costing you more than $250 because the unhappy guest gives you 1 star and Air punishes you in search and now you lose bookings?

Does the unhappy guest arrive and with an eye toward revenge, particularly if you are trying to make them look stupid as the OP advocates, they make a complaint that gets them refunded and relocated at YOUR expense.

I am firmly in the camp of I don’t want unhappy guests here. I don’t want liars, cheats and selfish people here. I don’t want angry, grumpy people here. I’m also more likely to get replacement bookings than a fly-in destination so easy to be more sanguine about it. I’m on flexible and even then most my cancels get their money back because I give it back to them. I’ve had a few whose money I’ve kept. Oh, and a reminder to anyone reading this…if they cancel the same day or after they arrive they still get to leave a review. So you could end up with no money and a bad review.

1 Like

Or try:

Did you pay for your visit with a preferred credit card? You may automatically have travel insurance through your credit card issuer.

4 Likes

Joan, the British press has been among the worst. Even the BBC has misstated. All the major networks in the US have been complete fails. No one is correcting the record at all. It’s appalling to watch what they are saying. No one ever ever says it’s affecting a small portion of the island that’s inaccessible right now anyway.

Local reporters on the ground are doing the best job, specifically Mileka Lincoln of HawaiiNews Now, if you want to look her up.

People who know the Big Island will know 99 percent of the island is totally okay but the majority are scared to death by the hype and are staying away.

3 Likes

I have a friend who lives on Oahu and here is an exchange between her and a HI friend on her facebook (on a news story about the eruptions from Hawaii News Now.

So locals are also the source of misinformation.

Who is Amanda Lemke? With Hawaii News Now? She’s incorrect.

The ONLY neighborhoods affected by New fissures are in Lower Puna! Is she saying it’s happening elsewhere? That is just erroneous,

The ashfall from the subsiding summit rockfalls is affecting downwind areas to the south and southwest but no further than Pahala. I have not had one bit of ashfall here. We do have hazy conditions here but they more or less look the same as they do most days when the volcano is active. Which has been pretty much continuously since 1983.

Also air quality in Hilo is good. Kona gets vog due to the blocking presence of the two large mountains. But this has always been the case! It’s just that now, vog has made the news.

YES! Even locals. But who is she? If she is from Oahu, she might be just as misinformed. Residential neighborhoods? ONLY in LOWER PUNA, below Pahoa.

Amanda is on Oahu, I would not consider her a local to this island.

No, she’s just a resident of Oahu.

No, I didn’t think she was a local of your island.

She shared a story from HNN and then her friend made a comment, she responded, I interjected. So even HI residents are ill informed, even after following local sources. Imagine if I asked her if I should go visit the big island? I’d think she knew because she lives in HI.

1 Like

I’m just making the point that the misinformation is widespread and it’s not just the mainstream, mainland media.
Someone reads something on facebook and tells their friend who tells their friend who cancels their HI trip.

I’ve had several fb friends who have posted misinformation and I’ve tried to correct them based on your information but they don’t get it.

3 Likes

It’s a losing battle… I could spend all day correcting the press or people and none of it makes any difference. Here’s a letter I wrote to the Washington Post. Their lede sentence was chock full of mistakes.

Reader feedback for ‘As Hawaii’s Kilauea erupts, volcanologists swarm: ‘I expect great science from this event’’

Aloha,

Your lede is incorrect. Here is what you wrote:

“The volcano that began a new round of eruptions on May 3 is proving to be a bonanza for volcanologists, as it cracks apart at its base and blows periodically at its top to jettison lava and plumes of ash across much of an anxious Big Island.”

—It’s NOT jettisoning lava at its top. Only ash and steam are emerging about twice a day, causing small explosions. The lava lake has drained from both the summit caldera and from the Puu Oo vent. The summit is subsiding and rockfalls are causing the plumes. There is NOT lava erupting at the summit.

—Plumes of ash are NOT blowing across “much” of the Big Island. Some light ashfall is occurring in Pahala and other areas just downwind of the summit. The rest of the Big Island is NOT experiencing ashfall.

—I’m not sure I would use the words “cracks apart at its base,” as a description, as this wording is dramatic but misleading. This is an established active rift zone which has experienced almost identical activity in 1955 and 1960. It was not a surprise that lava begin to flow in these active zones. That’s hardly “cracking apart at its base.”

The Big Island of Hawaii is about 4028 square feet in size. This eruption is occurring in a small remote southeast corner of the island and has so far impacted about 10 miles of land there. Most of the island is COMPLETELY unaffected. The rest of the island is not “anxious,” except in sympathy for our friends and neighbors in the affected community.

I am a 26-year resident of the Big Island. I would greatly appreciate it if you would please correct this story and if your reporters who may not be familiar with the Big Island’s topography, geography and geology would PLEASE check facts more carefully. We are getting killed and crushed by all the media misreporting facts and events. Hawaii is open for business everywhere but in this small section of the island, parts of which are under mandatory evacuation. But the entire world thinks we are blowing up like Krakatoa.

In fact, we would love to see a story about how much the media is reporting misinformation and misreporting this event while sensationalizing and overdramatizing. I can’t tell you how much damage it’s doing to the rest of us.

Mahalo,

5 Likes

Good response. (I think you meant the Big Island is 4028 square miles, rather than feet.)

1 Like

@TotalAirHead - I heard once that most major credit cards don’t cover “vacation rentals” as part of the trip insurance. That might have changed since then, but I do as you - encourage them to investigate their credit card trip insurance.

The same thing happened in Bali with mount Agung - and it still hasn’t gone off! I was there for 3 weeks when it was just kicking off and it wasn’t anywhere near what they were saying in the media. It totally wrecked tourism on which the Balinese dearly depend. So I absolutely hear you and emphasise with you.

2 Likes