How strict is your cancellation policy?

So the guest who canceled on me because of a death in the family rebooked today at the lowered rate!

1 Like

So the guest who canceled on me because of a death in the family rebooked today at the lowered rate!

WHAT??? You arenā€™t going to take them are you? What total nerve they have!

1 Like

I contacted Airbnb as soon as I received the booking! They said they couldnā€™t ask the guest to pay more so theyā€™re making up for the difference. Thankfully Iā€™m still making the same, but this whole situation has gotten me very annoyed.

1 Like

But, money and differences made up by Air asideā€¦ why would you WANT this guest in your home?!! Chances are good they will be BAD, as their behavior is chock full of red flags. For one thing, the LIED to you. LIED, had not compunctions about LYING. Not a good start!

2 Likes

Hey, hereā€™s a thought. You could say youā€™ll refund your portion if Airbnb refund theirs. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m exactly the same as @Reeny - Iā€™d never had a cancellation using strict. But when Airbnb started having the option of guests choosing the cancellation policy in their searches, I decided to change to moderate. This was also because I was well-booked for a few months but was keen to get bookings for the slow months.

Within a few weeks of changing to moderate, I had a cancellation. So Iā€™m back to strict.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if this is the correct thread for this, but a solution would be for Airbnb to allow guests to set their own cancellation policy. It could clearly be flagged as ā€œCustom: read carefullyā€, or similar. Does anyone know why they donā€™t do that? Too much scope for abuse?

Imagine the ramifications; it could become a bargaining session with each guest about the cancellation policy. The way it is now, potential guests see the parameters and inquire or donā€™t.

Well, there are already a lot of individual policy variations e.g. House Rules. This would be one more. Iā€™m not saying thatā€™s necessarily a solution, but the current options are quite restrictive.