How should I respond to this inquiry?

It’s the Dunning–Kruger effect - the more incompetent someone is at a certain task, the higher they rate their ability. Conversely, people who are very skilled at tasks often think they are less competent that they really are.

A few years ago when we sold one house and the new one wasn’t ready yet, we rented some space from a couple of casual acquaintances. The wife had a terrible case of cognitive dissonance - she kept bragging about her housekeeping and fix-er-upper skills and how she loved to decorate. The house was FILTHY, there was dirt and old dog hair stuck to the walls going up 15 feet, the carpet was dark brown until you cleaned a spot and it turned out to be beige, the curtains were stiff with dust and hair. We will not discuss the toilets. My husband and I were both exhausted from selling the old house (4 months of fix-up work, cleaning, getting it show ready, keeping it spotless, then the actual move and clean for the new owners) and I was really not happy to have to turn a filth bomb into someplace livable. I chose to clean only the areas that we really used. Meanwhile, cray cray is sitting on the couch telling us how wonderful she is, while a selection of old half-empty coffee cups sat in a ring around her collecting mold.

So yeah, I can really see a lot of people who think that they are neat freaks - are really only freaks!

4 Likes

Faheem, “(hides face)”… you are tooo cute!

2 Likes

(Check the father for weapons before your tour…just in case.)

Totally fascinating! I’ve never heard of it ~ learned something new.

1 Like

Yeah, I know a few people who are totally “laid back and friendly” and yet always have horrible experiences at restaurants. Hmm, maybe it’s because they’re rude and demanding and start every customer service experience out on a horrible foot by being rude and snarky from the get-go and then are surprised when the waitress minimally comes by or is short in response. I always tip extra in these circumstances and try to avoid going out with them. But it’s always relatives and hard to get out of…

2 Likes

Hi @Artemis,

Wow, someone who uses “Dunning–Kruger effect” and “cognitive dissonance” in the same post. My kind of person!

4 Likes

In that case I must be secretly wonderful at evaluating guests because I never, ever have the ‘gut feeling’ that all you guys seem to get :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why thank you!

What I really hate most about the Dunning-Kruger people is that they have so much confidence! They think they are just great! And since others respond well to confidence, sometimes those people get ahead - sometimes a lot ahead - in life. And they are complete morons who can’t find their way out of a paper bag. Meanwhile, I agonize over every decision and second-guess myself constantly. Sound familiar Faheem?

3 Likes

Maybe you are brilliant! That could be the solution to your quandary.

1 Like

Yes, it does, actually. I’m certainly not over-filled with confidence. And I’m very much a look-before-you-leap sort of person. Before making a decision, I do everything but mathematical calculations. And I’d do them if I could. You should see me shopping online.

Yes, I’ve noticed that phenomenon. But I don’t really understand it.

3 Likes

Very interesting conversation, about the Dunning-Kruger effect. Being in business all my life oftentimes we refer to those people by another name - ‘fakers but not true makers’. Eventually they will out run their initial support system, meaning eventually they will move into a league in which their sheer bravado can’t sustain them any longer because of a lack of true intellect.

3 Likes

People usually always get raised to their level of incompetence eventually.

The Peter Principle.

1 Like

I am only familiar with the term “Peter Principle” from U.S. government class - and now I am thinking of other things like “small peter syndrome” - they are very similar it seems…

Yes. Forgot the name.

Here is a good one for you, that should make your skin crawl. The other day had dinner with some people, and after ordering from the waitress, the lady told her - ‘You can go away now’. As is dismissing a slave.

1 Like

@cabinhost Not supposedly related…on second thought, maybe they are.

1 Like

I would move on from a listing and/or host who asked me to “tell me a little about yourself”. For me; exchanging personal information is something that comes naturally when people feel comfortable with one another. I don’t feel that it should be demanded. I have a motto; people will tell you as much about themselves as they want you to know, don’t pry. I would have no problem answering specific questions about how I planned to use the listing from a host that would help them to determine if we would be a good fit with each other.

1 Like

Seriously speaking @faheem, that line and the one as to ‘purpose of your visit’; struck me odd also, like Ellen said. Perhaps worded more circumspect may be best. Something like, ‘Well I am sure you have read my listing, do you think is a good fit for you’?, by way of opening a conversation.

Yes, well. That was a response to his - when can I check in and out. I don’t normally say that to people - it doesn’t usually come up. Granted, “what is the purpose of your visit” is not the best possible word choice; it sounds like customs. But I guess I was a little irritated. Though looking at it, what I actually said was “Please tell me a little about yourself, and what brings you to Mumbai.” Which doesn’t strike me as offensive. And, like most of the people who contact me, I would personally have volunteered this information at the outset.

Incidentally, several people said that it’s too much work for people to write this stuff to multiple people. But there’s this wonderful thing called cut and paste. This isn’t the 19th century.

I do have “tell me a little about yourself” in my listing, though. And it’s staying there.