How often you change linens, bed sheets etc while guests are staying

We don’t change during short stays (1-5 nights). We offer that at 6+ nights.

We keep extra linens in the unit. Guests are welcome to use them, if they wish - hasn’t happened so far.

I ask my guests not too wash the linens themselves. I don’t trust them with spot-removal and am afraid I’d get back linens with stains that have been set in the dryer (which are not impossible but much tougher). Has this not been a problem for you?

1 Like

That’s exactly what I do. I offer, but many guests say they don’t need fresh linen if they have something like an 8-10 day booking (2 weeks is my max booking length). I also ask if they’d like me to change them out, or they’d prefer to do it themselves, and they all say they’ll do it. Private room in my home- if I had an entire place listing, I’d be inclined to just state the once a week cleaning/change so I could make sure the guests weren’t living like pigs in there.

1 Like

Another host here had a long term booking.
The price was negotiated down.
The weekly clean was made monthly because he didn’t want to pay for it.
The host didn’t set foot in the house for six months.
Result?
He stored dirty sports equipment on clean bedding.
He broke a bed and did a poor job of attempting a repair.
Expensive fridge with a bad ding in the door. Door will need to be replaced.
Now, a weekly clean is non negotiable

2 Likes

No, i haven’t noticed anything. Not sure how often guests do a wash. Would rather replace sheets compared to washing 6 sets of linens.

3 Likes

This an old post but not germane to my situuation. I have guests staying for 6 nights. There are two people and they appear to be coming for business reasons. I have a washer and drier in the apartment and of course provide washing powder. I don’t really want to change the sheets during the stay even though if they were in a hotel, there would be a daily (or less frequent service if the hotel provided that option). And if they want to wash the towels they can do that easily enough. At the moment I plan not to offer any linen changes unless asked.

I have two properties with washer and dryers in the unit. People stay from 3 days to 3 months. I have never offered to change their sheets while they are there.

I travel all over, staying at Airbnb’s as well as other STRs. I always look for accommodations with washer and dryer. I often stay a week or more, and never has the host offered clean sheets while I’m there. I assume if I want them I can wash them.

Do have an extra set of linens in the home, so if the dryer is slow they don’t have to wait up for it.

1 Like

Our rooms are in our home so pre-COVID I just spoke with anyone staying more that 3-4 days to ask how often they would like sheets washed. I had a father and son staying once for several weeks. I knew that they liked them change about once a week so one afternoon i asked the father if this was a good time to change the sheets. He chuckled and said yes. I started pulling off the covers and his son was under them still sleeping. I guess the dad thought it was a fun way to get his teenage son out of bed.

1 Like

We rarely have long stays, most of our bookings are three to five days, with seven days being the usual maximum.

The odd time we have longer than a week or so, we discuss it with the guest. Work out what works for them, and us.

That said, right now we don’t. Given that we’d need to ventilate the room etc, doing a mid stay linen change just won’t happen. Clean sheets etc are available if the guest want to do it themselves.

Case in point, last guest here for ten days checked out on Monday, and on return to Sevilla tested positive.

Nopeity nope. You want fresh sheets, here they are…

JF

2 Likes

I wouldn’t do a mid-stay clean for six days. My max stay is 10-12 days. Currently, guests tend to stay on the longer end of my maximum, but I wouldn’t do a mid-stay clean during COVID, and I’m guessing most of my guests wouldn’t be comfortable with that, either.

I offer to wash towels and linens once every two weeks for longer term stays.

I’m probably over-fussy, but I prefer linens and towels to be washed once a week.

For stays longer than a week, I offer a remote change. I leave a hamper with clean linens and towels on the deck, and the guest puts the used ones in the hamper for me to pick up.

1 Like

I leave a linen closet with extra sheets and towels, a full size washer and dryer and detergent. If they want clean linens daily they can do that themselves.

That’s an excellent idea during pandemic times. But when things are ‘normal’ I prefer to go into the apartment with the guests’ permission so I’m sure that a) it’s done properly and b) I can keep an eye on how the guests are looking after the apartment.

I’m a bit wary of letting guests launder my sheets and towels. They could wash them on hot and set in stains. And I once had a guest who put the duvet cover into the washer - with the duvet still inside… a minor nightmare.

2 Likes