How often do you host someone that doesn't speak your language?

Hi Everyone,

Have you had many problems hosting people when you and they do not speak the same language? Which problems did you experience?

Until November last year, almost all our guests were from overseas. I can very roughly get by in French. I can get by even more roughly (quite appallingly) in Spanish and Italian. I know about ten words in German :stuck_out_tongue:

But I have a great translation app on my phone - and it works brilliantly.

2 Likes

I speak smatterings of several languages, and so does my partner (French, German, Russian, Spanish, Catalan, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese); we’ve not had a problem. A translator app would be our solution too.

2 Likes

With Spanish, English, Dutch, French, German and Portuguese spoken (different levels!) in our home, we haven’t experienced any difficulties so far. I would also guess that most people traveling here would have some basic knowledge of English and/or Spanish.

The day we won’t have any words in common with guests, there will be loads of smiles, giggles and google translate I suppose. Not fearful of that day, it will be a lovely experience :relaxed:.

2 Likes