How nice a TV to buy for my rental

No, I meant to write “a pain” and have now corrected it.

Oh, I see. Thank you for the clarification. In what respect is it a pain? Just curious. Old technology can often be very reliable, and indeed, as long as it works for you, there is no reason to get rid of it.

The wires make it impossible to configure all the speakers to my space now.

It came with five speakers and a large subwoofer. The subwoofer is powered and the hub of the system so it has to be plugged in and the other speakers connected to it. I only have two of the small satellite speakers connected because I’ve changed the configuration of the room. It’s fine I just don’t have “surround sound” now.

I see. Yes, wiring can be a pain. The environs of my computer resemble a rats nest. And I don’t even have much my way of devices.

Wireless keyboard, mouse and printer helped. I have stereo speakers and a security camera DVR hooked up to my desktop so still a bit of a tangle.

1 Like

Spotify, tenner a month! Put the cd’s in the bin without copying them all

I’m glad you questioned me because it made me think again.
My home TV is not smart - that’s why I bought the Roku which connects via the HDMI port.
The TVs I bought for the triplex were all smart.

1 Like

LOL. Ah, the attachment to things. Bane of my existence. Satellite radio got me to the point of hardly buying new music anymore…technology will probably solve my problem eventually.

But I’m sure I have some artists who aren’t on any of the streaming services, Tool for example. Then I’d have to check before I tossed them.

might be a different Tool :slight_smile:

Actually I have my Tool stuff on my computer already. But the point is, the streaming services are not yet a substitute for the hard copy of the music.

1 Like

Ah, and what’s the upgrade situation with respect to those TVs? Just wondering how long Sony would keep up with upgrades. Normally manufacturers lose interest after a couple of years.

Good point.

I sold the property with the smart Tvs so hadn’t really thought about it. But now that I do, I guess I’m satisfied with my not-smart TV and inexpensive Roku in my home. When the Roku is no longer supported I’ll replace it.

1 Like

Sorry TMI…I was intrigued by all of this so I did some research just so I would be a bit more “in the know”. I hope at least some of it applies to your situation in India. The reason, again, I would opt for a smart TV rather than getting Roku, etc. Is because they are very small and could be easily stolen by guests! Unless you are on premise or there when they check out. Or maybe getting a regular not-smart TV with set top box is less money for you overall…

@Faheem, I was not talking about “second hand” as in used, I was talking about refurbished, which are usually “Open Box”. Are these not available in India? I’m sorry that I’m not sure…Here is an article on refurbs:
https://blog.blinq.com/blinq-bits/refurbished-open-box-used/

I have purchased the following refurb. items for myself and my business:
2 Apple Mac mini’s
3 Apple (Mac) Power Books
(The computers you can get direct from Apple or they let Amazon resell them, and I purchase them through Amazon b/c I don’t have to pay taxes)
3 Vizio Smart TVs
1 Sharp Smart TV
2 Vacuum Cleaners
1 iRobot Roomba
And on and on. No problems with any of these items. They look/function like new. (Oh, one of the TV’s had a small ding on the back of the stand) that happened in shipping so the customer who purchased it new sent it back. Ding did not bother me a bit)
I would never purchases “used” electronics. Just refurbs…maybe I’m wasting your time if you do not have these in India :grimacing:

Silly thing to ask but did you spell Vizio wrong in your search as it is above (with an S rather than Z)?
I read your links above, they are both relatively old…(First one is 3/17/16, the other is 4/24/17)

From one of your links:
IP address — since everything on your home network is behind the same router, you might be watching a particular program on TV and then start seeing ads on your smartphone, tablet, or PC, for something related to that program.

I’ve never noticed this happening on phone, etc.? They do mention Windows Computers, which I don’t use Windows based computers.

Please DO read this article from 7/24/18. I get a lot of good advice from this website and it will answer all your questions and more…some smart TVs now have roku or Amazon tech built right in…but the Smart TVs DO update their apps…Sounds like Vizio may be the slowest at doing that.

I bought an Amazon fire stick, on Prime Day for $19. (Now they are back up to $39 USD) Not b/c smart TV apps weren’t working, but for other reasons I won’t bore you with. But I learned you can use the firestick, for example, and subscribe to HBO via AMAZON for cheaper than if you were to subscribe through your satellite or cable provider. I know Roku and Apple TV are supposed to be better, maybe in the resolution category, but I’ve used all three and can’t tell a difference.

I still don’t know if you have any kind of cable set up? In US Xfinity and Direct TV boxes are also smart and have lots of apps you can use as well, built into the “cable/satellite” receiver. (Geez, you’d think I have time to watch a bunch of TV! I don’t! :sweat_smile:)

Holy COW, that is expensive for a 32 inch! I really don’t think Sony is in the lead anymore as far as TV technology. From what I’ve heard and read, albeit briefly, Samsung is in the lead, not that you have to get a Samsung, but they are definitely good!

I bought this vizio from Amazon (refurb) in 2012. They are still updating all the apps and have even added some, which I admittedly don’t use, but they are there.
EDIT: This was a big TV, but the lowest end Vizio and cheapest refurbished TV I could find in this size. Anyhow good luck and let us know what you decide!

25%20PM

Hi @yecatsr,

Thank you for the further very helpful comments. I must admit I find myself a bit perplexed about what decision to make. Unfortunately, that’s a common situation for me to be in when I got shopping. Did I mention I hate shopping?

Answering your points in order:

Yes, that’s a very good point, which I see @Annet3176 also made. And which I forgot to address in my previous post. I don’t know how likely this is, but it’s certainly a possbility.

My listing is not a whole house rental, as you can see by looking at my listing - it’s a room (sort of) in my house (though really in an adjoining building). However, it’s certainly possible that guests could go off with a small electronic device without my noticing. I don’t check things so carefully, and often guests depart late at night or in the early morning when I’m not around.

There’s not much difference between these options, in terms of price. At any rate, I wouldn’t use price as a criteria here, just whatever was a better option overall.

I was using second hand as a loose term including refurbished. Though I see that refurbished isn’t the same as used. The term includes products that were returned as defective, and then fixed. Or maybe that were never sold in the first place.

Yes, you can get refurbished products in India, but I don’t see a strong market in refurbished TVs at least. I couldn’t find any refurbished TVs on Amazon India. This seem like the relevant page. As you can see, it’s all cables. And the volume for these kinds of consumer products is just much smaller than in the US.

Sorry about the typo. I checked “Vizio tv” on both Amazon India and Flipkart again, to be sure. And there are no TVs listed that I could see. You could easily check this yourself.

If one and two year old links are old, then things must indeed be moving quickly.

Actually, this sounds like the kind of thing that is quite likely to happen. I’ve had similar things happen to me already. I surf for products on Amazon, and then next thing I see is that they are appearing in Google Ads in articles I’m reading. It’s quite disturbing.

But if it is only STR guests who are using the Smart TV, it would not really be an issue for me. And hopefully not for them, either.

Yes, I read that article already. I noticed it was one of the few that wasn’t almost entirely negative about Smart TVs.

These little gizmos tend to be much more expensive here than in the US. Double the price is quite normal. I’ve seen markups of up to 5 times. And I think Indian conditions and available services would be different. I haven’t researched this yet.

No I don’t have cable or satellite TV set up. We used to, but not now.

Yes, electronics products are very expensive in India. TVs and smartphones are actually relatively reasonably priced. Other things can be much more expensive. But Sony still seems to getting good reviews. I don’t know about Samsung. I’ll take a second look.

That’s interesting. Do you know the last date it was updated?

Thanks. I’ll mull it over a bit more, and update the thread when I’ve purchased something. Unfortunately, i think I do have to, since the old CRT in that room is just not working properly any longer, even for an extremely generous interpretation of “properly”.

Thanks again for all the detailed comments and thoughts. It’s really very useful.

Well, at least it’s easier, somewhat at least, now that we can do it online. I haven’t been to the mall in quite some time. And I don’t miss it!

This is usually not the case, IMO. Usually “open box” in my experience, but do your due diligence. Defective? Maybe, usually just unused returns. Maybe someone else here can help, but I’m a refurb. enthusiast for sure. Older models, cheaper, but like new.
I can add, cordless lawn mower, weed whacker, and snow blower to my refurb list. LOL

Awww, bummer. I’m sorry, I’m not helping you out here much. I wonder how much shipping items costs to India from the US.

Oh yes, they definitely are, @KKC mentioned this as well.

Yes this definitely happens to me, while on the computer. I’ve not experienced that with TV use, however. But I’m not using my TV to surf Amazon, etc. It’s the cookies they drop on your computer…tracking you every minute! I have a sticker over my laptop camera lens! Ha! Just in case.

Ugh. I’m sorry. I’m wish I could be more helpful.

who needs it, I’m about to cancel everything but internet…

I do not know, it’s when they darn well feel like it! I think the TV’s with Roku, Amazon fire, etc. built into the tv are updated regularly. The 2012 vizio I have? They update it but not on a regular schedule, as far as I know.

@Faheem, good luck and let us know what you come up with!

1 Like

Hi @yecatsr,

The Net is certainly a godsend when it comes to shopping - no question. More specifically, having Amazon in India has been a positive thing for me, at least. I realise people in the US and elsewhere have very mixed feelings about Amazon and its business practices, but in India American-style consumerism is a step up from the prevailing norms.

Yes, the term refurbished covers a lot of possibilities. But it’s just a much smaller consumer market here. Less people buying, and they keep products much longer, probably. I think in the US it’s not unusual to replace products even when they are working. End result - there are less refurbished items available here. And in many cases, it’s not clear how reliable the sources are.

There’s usually a big markup, with shipping plus import taxes. But it’s not unusual for it still to be cheaper that way than buying the same product locally. Often the locally available products are marked up to a grotesque extent. But bear in mind that if you import stuff from elsewhere, you can’t reasonably return it. And of course the warranty, if any, is effectively void. And often these products are quite cheaply made, frequently from China or some similar place. And if feels silly to be paying USD 30 equivalent for something that is being sold in the US for USD 10, and probably cost like USD 5 or less to manufacture.

I only see ads on my phone, because I run ad blockers on my computer.

I’d be interested in statistics about how often these boxes are updated. If anyone happens to have any.

I’m now leaning towards a Smart TV, partly as a result of these exchanges. Also, I suspect that guests would prefer it. I have to keep in mind that it’s not for me. I’d probably still go with the Sony one. There aren’t a whole lot of other good options. Samsung and LG, but Samsung doesn’t seem to have a lot of stuff available on Amazon, at least for my specs. And I’m not sure about LG. Also, it seems Sony ships with Android TV, which is probably a plus. Other Smart TV manufacturers ship with proprietary operating systems.

I also asked my current guests (Americans), who left this morning what they thought. They weren’t really interested in talking about it, but they did say that they both had Smart TVs, and found it easier/preferable.

How is your own TV? I’d give the guests your tv, and treat yourself to a new one

Old and damaged. It’s a pretty nice Sony Plasma, or was. But the screen got damaged recently. Just old age, I think. We’ll replace that eventually too. But it’s not used a whole lot.

I would have to say I agree, the android TV is a plus, I’m sure it’s updated regularly, but have not researched. The proprietary OS on other TV’s is not updated as often, I’m sure of that.

1 Like