How much should I pay someone for check in

Hello all hosts I am going to be away for the season and I want to keep my airbnb account management but give check in and handling my reservations to a manager. How much should I pay them do you have any idea?

Just my opinion I know, but the check in and the house tour is very important. It ‘sets the tone’ for the stay. What else will the manager be doing?

I think the rate really depends on where your property is located/ what the going rate for PM services are, and how much volume/work you are going to be giving your property manager.
I’m assuming that they will be on call for the guest should any issue arrive, not just doing a check in?
If that is the case I had the most success using a sliding scale based on reviews. Almost like a bonus system for really giving the guest an awesome first impression and great service throughout their stay.

So x$ for 5 star reviews
and
x$ for 4 and below

We based it on a % of the trip cost but again that is going to be dependent on your margins, standard in your area and how many guests this manager is going to be handling for you month to month.

And then making room for things that are out of the property managers control. So that they are not penalized when the guest leaves a bad review for something the PM had no ability to help them with.

We have always gotten better reviews with on call service and check in then with self check in FWIW and I think this is worth it if the other option is: self check in/less service.

Thank you you were very helpful. I cannot pay them in percentage as they won’t know how the trip costs but yes they will be handling all issues that come up during the reservation. Should I hire them monthly or per trip I would love your opinion on this!

I agree with @jaquo that the introduction to the place and the initial meet-and-greet is very important. A scruffy appearance and any sort of impatience will really blow it for you. So it’s perhaps less of a question how much you should pay, it’s a question how much a suitable person who lives locally will charge you.

As for managing the property while you are gone, I would agree a fixed rate for a response on the app and a fixed rate for visiting the property (a call out fee). That way there is no ambiguity in case the guests have extra demands.

Hiring someone monthly seems a but over the top when you really only need someone every now and then. However if you are running a big operation perhaps it might be worth hiring someone for the month 

1 Like

I think it’s important to know how many listings and how many check-ins per month are expected.

My gut feeling is that you have are planning to hire a friend, acquaintance, or family member, to partially manage while you’re away. Is that right?

I hope not. I believe that the meet and greet is too important to be left to someone with no experience. Although someone experienced in sales could work.

1 Like

When I have managed neighbor’s and friend’s properties, I have charged by the hour. Some bookings require next to no time- the guests arrive when they say they will, they are self-sufficient and are able to figure everything out for themselves, they are quiet and respectful. They check out on time and don’t leave a mess or damages which have to be documented.

Other guests may arrive hours late, leaving you waiting without communicating, show up with 3 extra guests, need constant hand-holding, not able to figure out instructions that are clearly written, or simply don’t bother to read the info provided. They may be loud or otherwise disruptive, prompting calls from neighbors which requires dealing with. On check-out you find a number of broken items and a big mes that needs to be photographed.

So a 3 night booking could require an hour of time, or it could require 6 hours.

If you are dealing with a friend or family member who you trust to keep accurate account of their time, an hourly rate might be the way to go.

They way the questions/responses are phrased, it doesn’t seem like the intention is to hire an experienced property manager, or even a person that is experienced at pricing their own time.

1 Like

No I need someone with experience. I will make the reservation and then give the guests the manager’s number to arrange check in and anything they may need and also he would be in charge of coordinating cleaning and possible maintenance issues. Someone told me 15% of the reservation cost but i dont want for him to know details of my business and I need to make a counter offer of some short. That is why i am asking for your expert opinions

please do not misunderstand me but in Greece rental managers in order to take you on they are not agreeing a full management without you giving them your tax report managment also, so clearly I need to know how to negotiate otherwise I wont find anyone.

great idea thank you hire them by the hour

A professional PM will be more likely to be able to do some kind of fixed pricing per reservation, etc., but it doesn’t sound like you’ve even talked to any, yet. You are going to need to have a list of items in-hand that you expect the PM to handle.

E.g., you didn’t mention cleaning, so it seems like that is already handled. What about inspection after cleaning and preparation?

It would’ve been helpful to put that in your first post.

I agree, if it’s just 1 or 2 listings with only a few check-ins per month. Otherwise, I doubt you’ll find a PM that wants to log all of their time.

This is what I think is fair:

Have the PM log hours for check-in (you should already know how long this takes).
Have the PM log hours for dealing with guest issues, etc.
Include a fixed commute time for when the PM has to go to the listing (e.g. check-in).
Pay a reasonable hourly wage for all logged hours and commute hours.
Pay a daily “on-call” rate (e.g. a half-hour of pay per day) for every day that there are guests in the listing.

It isn’t a very good idea to have the guests communicate with the manager by phone. They need to communicate on the Airbnb messaging system. If there are issues, you will want them documented so Airbnb customer service can refer to them if you need to get them involved. If it’s just a matter of them phoning or texting to say they’ll arrive in an hour, that’s no big deal, but most communication really should be able to be on file.

As with most things, you get what you pay for. (Sorry that’s so cheesy but it’s true). In the past when I have looked after listings for neighbours, my fee has been the same as a one night stay. Note that these properties go for between $150 and $300.

This is swings and roundabouts for the host. For a two day stay I receive more or less half the fee. For a stay of a week, the host receives 6/7 with 1/7 to me. It works out over time.

Of course, it depends on the nightly price of your rental but one night fee is a good place to start. Unless your stays are longer, of course.

In many cases, I find that co-hosts are paid too little so don’t have a great deal of incentive to ensure that the guests have a great experience.

1 Like

Are they also cleaning, restocking and doing any repairs?

Those are verboten right now anyway. Contactless check-in is part of the new procedures.

1 Like

Great advice everyone thank you! You helped me a great deal! I think I will get a manager to co host with me for this period and I will pay his full management service. After all the reservation procedure is the lesser work compared to running the listing smoothly. Thank you!

Μυρτώ ÎšÎ±Ï„ÏƒÎŻÎœÎ±
Myrto Katsina :cyclone:

1 Like

That can’t happen in this house, which is why I’m closed.

1 Like