How I have changed my guest communication over the last 12 months

That’s it exactly. And yes, don’t even start on owners…!!
Sadly we lost our best treasured housekeeper last year and I haven’t managed to find anyone up to her standards since. I miss her so much, not just because of her great work but because of the hilarious comments she would give when asked for input for any review.

1 Like

It’s very difficult to find them one of mine puts the ad on local Facebook group for me. I also miss one who made me laugh every time she cleaned. Luckily she’s begging to come back.

She was out the front one day, guests were ignoring her knocking on the door. 45 minutes late on check out. She said to me: I can hear them, she’s complaining that she’s fat and her bikini is tight. I’ll show her what fat is if she doesn’t leave! She is an ample woman.

Another time she said there’s a blonde wig amongst the cleaning products, do I have to wear that? I said I told you in the interview we only employ blondes. She then sends me a photo of her with it plonked on top of her head while she is vaccing

3 Likes

I change the code more often than this, only because we get people that live relatively near, or people who are traveling from our town to another nearby town. I don’t want to take the security risk, just in case. Someone brilliant posted here once (wish I could find it) that they use the last four digits of each guests phone number for the door code. I now use that method - it’s great - and no guests are pestering me asking for the door code, because they can’t access the app, forgot it, etc.

2 Likes

Yes guests do read it! I do not want to hear from a guest, ever, emphasized text

That is so funny! I like some of your wording quite a bit, I may borrow a few of your ideas, such as about downloading the app. I’ve unfortunately had quite a few guests go AWOL during their stay with zero communication, and it must be because of the no app. Also I have almost 100% new Airbnb guests.
Anyway, I also leave a laminated copy of information on each bed, along with a binder. They have tons of opportunity to get information. Doesn’t mean they will READ. :grinning:

1 Like

Most of my guests live close as well. Using the last 4 digits of the guest’s number has been around for a long time. I used to use it about 4 years ago, but the locks are too cumbersome to change every day. If I could convince my owners to invest in a smart lock linked to Airbnb, like I have for my own house, that would be perfect. However, I can’t even get them to invest in a $180 Ring camera for the front door! So the best we can manage is to change the code monthly. So far so good.

1 Like

I would love to take credit about “my ideas” but none of them are mine. I am not an ideas person, as much as I wish I was. I know I am severely lacking in that department so I try to make up for it by reading, stealing and plagiarising from others.

I stayed with a host last year who had fabulous photos and check in information via the app, but had bad reviews from guests about the check in process! We discussed it and he said that many of his guests didn’t use the app. I told him that I ask guests to download it in my welcome message and he said that he was going to add it too.

3 Likes

@Poppy thank you for all this great information! I am a new host and will definitely be taking some of your ideas and welcome letter. Thanks for sharing :blush:

1 Like

Thank you but I don’t know that I can take any credit. I have stolen from other hosts on here over the last few years. Every time I see that someone has written something that sounds better or is clearer than what I have I plagiarise it.

My messages are a conglomeration of them mixed with things guests have said. E.g can we park in the garage? Obviously not as you haven’t been given access to it. Or: the code won’t work (I know it does because we haven’t changed it for weeks), I then discover they forgot to push the * at the end. It’s a matter of making it as foolproof as I can.

1 Like

When he told me he was on his way “a little early” I changed the codes and told him he could check in after 3, no earlier. He complained a bit, made the “must be ready bc I have codes” comment. I told him he needed to give the current guests the same consideration he would expect and recommended a couple restaurants and things to do.

3 Likes

Hi @Poppy I have a question relating to the above. Do you only allow guests to contact you through AiR BnB and never give out your mobile phone number to your guests?
TIA

Unfortunately Airbnb gives them my number when they book! This is why I try to send my first message as quick as I can to stop them ringing.

I will not speak to a guest on the phone as they never ring with good news and I struggle with hiding the irritated tone in my voice when they are complaining about something petty. The last time I spoke to a guest was in the beginning of November when one phoned to say she was having trouble with the code on the door. I was two levels underground with no internet access. I explained this to her as I quickly started my ascent so I could double check the code she had. She snapped at me that this was seriously impacting her stay! I answered with: hey I’m doing my best to help you here! Of course there was nothing wrong with the code!!

I have a dual sim phone (which is also brilliant for travelling as you can keep your normal number and have a sim for the country you are in as well, but I digress). I have a work number that is used for Airbnb. I do not answer any numbers I do not know. I let them go to message bank and my message says if you are phoning as a guest please contact me through the Airbnb message platform.

Against my better judgement I accepted a booking that I had reservations about last week. He was a clueless young guy who was really struggling with giving me any information etc. I declined his booking on the basis that I was “uncomfortable” as he was so inarticulate. He promptly sent another booking request! He then filled out one line in his profile and here’s the rub, he said he was indigenous. There was nothing he wrote that made me feel he would be a good guest - everything was pointing to the opposite, that they would treat the home poorly. But now I had the risk of appearing racist if I declined him again. So I phoned Airbnb and asked for advice. They phoned him and explained that I needed more from him. He sent me a message that didn’t say much but I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was making some effort so I accepted it. Airbnb thanked me.

I then get this message: image ,
I groan and send this, hoping he will cancel:image

So now we get to the point of why I am telling you all this. He and his girlfriend phoned me a number of times last weekend, the booking is not till the end of April. I sent him an Airbnb message telling him to message me through the app and haven’t heard back.

It makes it so much better for clarity if everything is via the Airbnb message system. Like the recent guest that snuck a dog in and then told Airbnb that he had told me all about the dog. I had the proof in the messages that he had not told me.

I’m sure this is a much longer response than you wanted or needed, sorry I was on a bit of a roll!

6 Likes

No, this is all perfect! I need to get as much information as possible to make the right decisions for my home, myself and my guests. I think I will ask all guests to use the App as it makes sense for transparency.

2 Likes

Are you an in home host as this really only works for those that remote host and have no face to face contact with the guests?

I am renting my entire home and I live in the same area but would like to keep the face to face contact as little as possible if I can.

1 Like

There are times when I am forced to text guests but I always send a copy of the message through the App as well.

I fold the basics into my rules. This way they MUST have read them.

95% of the time I meet them personally and give them a quick show-round, and then take my cues from them in terms of what they can manage. And I live here, so I catch everything. Nonetheless, I send a note the first morning, and advise them of checkout the day before.

I don’t mind hearing from them at all. If I am at the cottage I sleep with my phone next to me. 99% of the time its an easy fix.