How have you handled local legal issues?

Honestly this is getting really tiresome defending this. We asked the advice of the tax department. We are operating according to their instructions. It took a long time to get their ruling and we have it in writing. As single property owners we are not considered a commercial enterprise and CANNOT collect nor claim back VAT. I PAY 30% TAX NOT THE 14% VAT YOU ARE TRYING TO TELL ME TO COLLECT TO DO THE “RIGHT THING”… georgygirlofairbnb you seem to think you know more than the Finnish government. So stop telling me to do things differently or that I am not collecting the right tax or whatever… contact them yourself and tell them they are wrong, their website is www.vero.fi

No need to defend yourself to me. Just be prepared to defend yourself against the hotels when they lobby your local govt to change the zoning laws. I don’t give a hoot what you do. Happy renting!

Hey there. I actually just joined this forum because my wife and I have been shut down by the Niagara by-law committee on the Canadian side. Neighbour complaints about the fear of c visitors was enough to convince the city to start taking a stand against airbnb hosts. The city clerk told us that they will be “cracking down” on people like us and we face a $10,000 fine if we continue. With no regard of how we will pay the mortgage and bills they gave us 2 weeks to shut down, We are now trying to involve a lawyer and see what we can do. We were booked solid until September and have had to inform all our guests to seek other accomodation. That’s all for now but I shall keep the forum updated as we all have this struggle to deal with.

1 Like

I’m in Nova Scotia and watching very closely what’s happening in Ontario and Quebec. I can’t help but think the rest of the provinces are watching and learning from you before they do something similar. Please do keep us posted.

I would contact Airbnb. Massachusetts has a bill on the floor that is not quite good for the host community and we’re becoming quite organized with how to work with legislators. We have a rep from Airbnb that coordinates things and is the rep for most of East Coast as far away as Chicago, would you like his email?

That sounds awful and pretty unlawful. I would contact Airbnb and tell them what happened. I would also pretend to be a guest and contact every single host in the area and organize a group meeting. You’ll have to be the group leader, set a date/time/place. Airbnb will most likely send out a rep and you guys can come up with a legal strategy. Keep us posted.

Yes, I am going through one now, here in Pennsylvania…you’ll see it all discussed on another thread