How Does One Handle "Hypersensitive" aka Picky Princess Guests?

@dpfromva WOW, that is a spectacular way to describe our house. My husband, who is a pretty decent writer, says to profusely thank you.

6 Likes

Agree! I think your price point could be the issue.

I used to argue vehemently with hosts who say low-priced places attract bad guests. I will still battle with anyone who says things like “you’ll only attract the riff-raff/lower-class guests/scum if your prices are too low” because well, anyone with an attitude like that is a complete and utter twat, in my opinion.

But I do think there is a sweet point where pricing your place too low has a psychological effect - it’s like people think oh well, it was so cheap I can say what I want. As in, you’ve devalued it so they will too. If that makes sense.

8 Likes

Well hot damn, your house IS spectacular!

1 Like

I don’t read the individual review stars anymore just the main guest review Air emails me. I stay at 5 stars overall and like to think all my guests are reasonable people who enjoyed the place as much as they say they did to my face. I am sure (as once happened) if I get 4 stars 3 times in a row for Cleanliness Air would tell me. Happy happy joy joy. :japanese_goblin:

1 Like

How do you see the listing? I want to see it too! I am in a completely different part of the world but I too love that old coastal house smell, it reminds me of my grandparents house.

1 Like

I live right on the sea and the indoor humidity is pretty much the same as the outdoor humidity (currently 80%) as guests leave the front door to the terrace open. I’ve never had anyone complain but if some people had a problem with sea air humidity I would respectfully suggest they go stay in the desert :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m imaginating. 20 times.

I’m not getting why if you live near the sea you need to create a different atmosphere inside. People stay near the sea for the sea breezes, sunshine, fog, squalls etc. All the weathers. Maybe in mid winter if there are fogs but that is what heaters (fires) and cocoa are for, to dispel the winter chill. If someone is obsessed with humidity levels they probably need to stay in a hotel where such things are controlled (and feel like it as well).

2 Likes

Ha! Well I have now found it and have perused it in detail (insert smirky face).

1 Like

Even on the other side of the world I know the Northern California coast is famous for its fogs, rain and humidity. Why would someone from the USA go there who had a problem with humidity for a holiday :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well…deal with these fuzzy people by re-branding your place as a Retro Retreat …

Kind of like a time travel experience and invite them to dvelve into the space.

2 Likes

Musty = mold. Always. Old books smell musty because they have mold/mildew growing in the paper.

I know that’s not what you wanted advice about, but I am a person who is extremely allergic to mold. I can smell it as soon as I walk in a house, and if I don’t leave immediately, I will be sick for days. So if I stayed at a “musty” AirBnB, I would probably be complaining too.

For other complaints that you think are silly, I would just ignore, unless you’re getting the same complaints over and over. Then it might be something to take seriously.

2 Likes

It’s the plaster. I had a 1900 Edwardian property and a 1926 Craftsman when I lived in Central California. I know the smell well.

Do you describe the property in your listing the way you did here, highlighting the historical California old growth redwood frame and plaster walls? Maybe you can make it a feature instead of apologizing for it? That’s what I did with my circa 1900 building that I had listed both rooms and apartments on Airbnb. Only had one knucklehead mention the hallway plaster odor. Everyone else loved the historical aspects of our “old California” property.

2 Likes

Bwwwwwhahaha. 50% humidity, wow I’ve not seen that in hmmmm, ever? I live in the south and it’s 98-100% humidity outside and comfortable feels anything below 75%. Of course my skin looks great for my age, but my hair suffers and blows up large…it’s the source of “big hair southern gals.” LOL. Kidding aside, is that what one should aim for – 50% inside? I’ve never heard that before.

Yep only INSIDE. Humidity where I am averages at 70% outside where I am, although its cooler. Often it’s near 100% with persistent light drizzle.

No! In the UK we treat all our old timbers so they are fungus and pest free. Period properties are at a premium because of the charm and cost of maintenance. It’s not a case of old house equals scudsy.

Not necessarily knucklehead. If the plaster has blown (hydroscopic salts have been irrevocably activated due to damp) then it needs replacing. All this damp stuff is bad for health. Musty odour equals not ok!

1 Like

In hot temperatures there is higher humidity as more moisture can be held in the air. I am assuming you have no musty smell, so nothing to complain about.

I have mold in the seaward facing walls. But I hide it with the smell of wet dog.

13 Likes

What an awesome outpouring of support. I am definitely going to reword the listing to highlight the old train station timbers and Old time plaster walls, using the descriptive wording supplied by @dpfromva - Thank You :pray: so much! We’re also going to raise the price because that seems to be the general consensus as being part of the problem. I am very happy to have found this forum, it has been super helpful.

4 Likes