How do you inform guests who spray water everywhere and do not use your towels to clean up?

I am still scratching my head at this. Is this for real? And a common practice somewhere? Really? For real? How is this better?

1 Like

I agree with you. However I do struggle to understand how someone could be so dense as to not see how a bathroom works. I mean it’s so obvious it doesn’t have a drain, is dry, has fluffy mats etc.
I can register a wet room with a 2 second glance. Not that fussed about having one to be honest, dry feet are nice.

I’ve never had anyone do this and we’ve had guests from all over the world but there are always strange people out there.

1 Like

LOL @Icklmiss, really, for real. I have a long term Chinese woman staying with me long term. She is here because her child is attending the local private high school.

It took me almost 2 weeks to figure out what was going on. She would take the roll of paper towels from the kitchen into her room. Finally I asked why she needed so many paper towels, as it was starting to seriously irritate me (oh, the foreshadowing!). She told me she needed them to dry herself and her hair. I asked her why she didn’t use the towels provided? She looked at me like I had 3 heads and exclaimed, “NO! No CLEAN!”

I was like, OMG, did I forget to change the towels in her room? I asked her to show me, and she brought me the towels from the the rack. They were clearly freshly laundered and untouched. It took a half hour and Google Translate. Basically, she believes that my super cool high tech Samsung washer doesn’t get things clean and since someone besides her may have used that towel in the past, it is useless to her.

I could regale the forum with nearly endless tales such as this related to this guest. It’s a learning experience and an ongoing exercise in patience, thickening one’s skin and learning not to be offended.

5 Likes

That sounds like a personal quirk. We’ve had quite a few Chinese guests and none of them have done that. Maybe for an extra charge you could buy a new towel for her since she’ll be staying long term that way she’ll stop using the toilet paper like that. They do have different ideas of what is ‘clean’ and ‘unclean’ though.

I told her she had to go and buy her own towels as she was not allowed to continue to use paper towels. At first, she didn’t want to wash her towels in my filthy washing machine, but I also told her she couldn’t continue to use vast quantities of paper towels in my home no matter who bought and paid for them. I just wouldn’t be able to tolerate that.

I had to go to the interwebz to find articles about my washing machine’s performance, and how it works (it’s got this fancy feature where the water pipes are lined in actual silver, which is an anti microbial), and translate it all into Mandarin for her. Eventually I convinced her the washing machine makes things clean. She uses it, and towels, now. But this has turned into a “be careful what you wish for” example. The next battle, once she realized what an amazing time and labor saving device the washer is, was stopping her from doing an entire heavy duty (almost 2 hour) wash cycle for two pairs of panties and one set of tiny socks. And then another load consisting of 3 tiny tops (she’s the size of a toothpick). And then another load for her towel. Again, I kid you not. The washing machine running for 5 hours in order to wash what would normally constitute half a load of stuff.

6 Likes

Oh lord lol. Yeah some of the more traditional ones are used to hand washing everything. Just be firm and enforce your boundaries. A lot of people, no matter what nationality they are are not respectful of utility use because it’s not their house and they don’t have to pay for the bill. We had a family from Wisconsin who did laundry every single night for five days once. And a lot of people turn every light on as they walk through the house or leave the light on in their room when they are downstairs eating or something.

1 Like

My experience is this same @Sarah_39 I have had over twenty sets of guests from China or Chinese speaking countries and absolutely none of them have behaved in the way that others on this thread are describing in terms of use of the bathroom.

They happily use my towels, leave the floor and surfaces dry and the shower is cleaned after use

Nor with not doing a full wash when using a washing machine.

Helsi, Sorry, I’m not understanding why your non experience explains my experience? Or offers a solution? Certainly happens, you know. And the problem is how do I prevent it from happening

5 Likes

I certainly do not mean to stereotype Chinese guests. Of the (many) issues I’m suffering with this particular person, a few of them do have to do with her nationality and hence, her culture, but most of them have to do with her just being human. She is the worst germophobe I’ve ever encountered.

4 Likes

There definitely are cultural differences to be aware of and they can be difficult to navigate.

And hiding the paper products and making sure none go down the toilet. Maybe the ‘no clean’ thing is similar to my guest who would refuse to consider washing underwear in the washing machine, and wanted to drip dry it in the bedroom every day.

1 Like

Maybe charge $5 a washload, it would soon stop. I do struggle with guests and my 8kg machine, but at least I restrict them to one load a week. Funnily enough noone bothers doing extra loads at the launderette.
As a side issue I am shocked by the number of guests not washing socks and underwear. For my sons a change’s non negotiable every day. I have had guests not wash any for 2 weeks despite washing outer garments. For me it would be the other way around.

I have 100% given up on that one. Now I am LEDs all the way. In any case Victorian halls can be dark, so they’re on 24/7.

1 Like

So, that fumbled conversation ended how? Is she still using the paper towels or did she end up buying a towel? I have to say that I have never heard of this as a cultural issue. And the proportion of Asians in my N. American city is 50%…disproportionate to the rest of the country. But then again, I am not often asking about shower habits!

I did just remember that one woman out of a group of women from Hong Kong insisted on buying her own sheets and washcloths because mine were “no clean”…Sure! I dont mind. They left them behind afterward…
I then saw the tag on the sheets that said “Property of the Hyatt Regency”. I still can’t figure out what went down there.

1 Like

I just go behind them and them off. Some people respond to gentle reminders, some don’t.

That is definitely really strange. Most international Asians that I know use the small towels like I mentioned because they don’t take as long to dry when hung up. This lady honestly just sounds like a nut.

Poor you! Sorry didnt see you f/u post! This seems to done by people from all over the globe. And it drives me insane too!

1 Like

I had American guests who used machines like that. Now I have a rule of 2 free loads max per week , the rest is 5$.Not onllthey washed 3 pairs of underwater but also dries them in dryer with 90F outside and laundry lines on backyard

1 Like

Some of us aren’t used to laundry lines. You aren’t even allowed to have them where I live unless you have a fence to hide them because people think clotheslines are a sign of poverty apparently. That’s so crazy that they would wash stuff like that though. So inconsiderate and wasteful.