How do you handle winter weather?

Concise version:

Snow shovels for walkway in garage.

De icer in closed pail. Use sparingly, please. Replace lid immediately so moisture does not affect it.

22 words instead of 51. You don’t even need the last sentence I wrote, all you need is a note on the lid of the pail to secure lid well when done.

1 Like

Yes, you’ve improved it. Thank you!

1 Like

That’s fine, but @Lynick4442 was pointing out that you shouldn’t use “Please don’t” and instead use DO NOT. Asking will not get the attention or result you want. Prohibiting will get most folks to pay attention.

I hear you but I think I’d like to be a more gentle about it, and I think ‘Please don’t’ does that. I’ll sleep on her and your suggestion.

I agree. It’s better to be professional about it. You’re talking to adults, not children running through your yard. Hosts who have “Do not” in their rules look like megalomaniacs and I can’t imagine that adults would want to stay with them. And anyone who has to be told rather than asked isn’t going to listen anyway. It’s always better to talk up instead of down, it is after all a business and not a school.

2 Likes

My comment wasn’t about please it was about keeping your messages short to the guests. If you want them to read your info, KISS prinicple - keep it short and simple…

I agree with KISS. But if you want them to treat your property with care, then be nice. Multiple ‘commands’ might not get you there,

1 Like

I have a section titled “Things I Never Thought I’d Have To Tell My Guests” and it’s a list of stupid crap other people have pulled. It’s actually been commented on and people share their “stupid people” stories sometimes.

2 Likes

As a fellow Vermont host (stand alone house), to limit liabilities, snow cleanup, and dealing with city folk clueless about winter weather, we close shop December 31 and reopen after mud season May 1.

1 Like

I leave a broom, shovel and some ice melt on the deck, but I think it is my job as host to clear a walkway to the back Airbnb door after I do the front sidewalk. I was out shoveling one day and I heard the scrape, scrape of a second shovel – my guest was shoveling, too! Delightful. The driveway is flat but a big area so I can’t always get that done. Nobody’s whined about it.

I stayed at a house with a very steep drive in Pittsburgh last winter. I’m from there, so I pride myself on being able to navigate, but I just could not, could not get my Prius with its semi-crappy tires up that driveway one evening after an icy snow. There was no space or shoulder to park on on the street. I offered a neighbor $20 to let me park in their drive, but no room. Ended up on a family member’s couch. The host was super-apologetic, they’d forgotten to notify their snow-removal guy, so they refunded that night and sent their husband to clear the drive the next day. I grabbed a shovel from family and tidied up some more and spread an extra bag of salt.

Amazing when we all cooperate and treat each other like people!

3 Likes

Super helpful tips here and in this thread. I hadn’t thought of giving guests their own shovels and salt. Thanks!

1 Like