How do you handle a guest who brings a dog without telling you

Someone suggested that we list our property with a different service that takes real deposits. That is not an option Airbnb and VRBO rule the road. The same person suggested that I knew what I signed up for when I started hosting on airbnb. I disagree. Airbnb has very assertive language making it mandatory that house rules are agreed to at the time of booking. We did not know that airbnb would not enforce rules with the deposit. Airbnb specifically asks if we want to charge a deposit, and I have checked “yes”. Only experience working through resolutions have we learned that this deposit isn’t even charged. Further airbnb won’t payout any charges unless the guest agrees to it or you have photos and receipts for damages. Airbnb also does not allow charges for administrative time when in the resolution process. How is that not damages? Time is money. The breaking of the rules has without question taken up our time. I agree with the previous post, our rules are being mocked! Thank you previous poster KKC, for you humor.

2 Likes

Wanna buy a paragraph?

Going cheap…

JF

2 Likes

Fairbnb, if you haven’t read the entire Airbnb Terms of Service document, please do so. You may learn a number of things that surprise you. [Terms of Service](https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2908/terms-of-service)

I agree that Airbnb makes hosting sound like sunshine and roses—and it consistently has been for us. The TOS tell a lot more of the real story. They don’t spell out problems, but they do specify a lot more than the host-promotional material does.

Airbnb updates and/or modifies the TOS from time to time. It’s worthwhile to reread them periodically.

3 Likes

One of the best posts of 2021. Very thoughtful and insightful.

1 Like

@Fairbnb All your lengthy paragraphless rants are things we already know about the way Airbnb operates. I’m not sure what you think going on and on about it accomplishes.

They aren’t concerned about protecting hosts, their concern is their profits. The CEO and top muckedy mucks are billionnaires. Their feel-good rhetoric is PR bullshit.

Use them as a listing service or don’t. Send them feedback about what you’d like changed. Run your rental business in a way that cuts down on attracting the kind of guests who are rule breakers and house wreckers. Learn to vet guests well. That’s about all you can do.

2 Likes

Yes, you can take a direct deposit with Air. To qualify, you need to use a channel manager or other software connection. See my earlier post. For a pittance, you have the right to a real security deposit that you collect and control. Include language in your house rules where the deposit CAN be used against certain applicable violations of house rules (smoking, etc).

That is the cost of doing business. You factor it into your model. Adjust your expectations.
It sounds like you have had a few issues with damages, resolution center, etc. If so, re-evaluate what you can be doing differently and better. Take control of your business. Think of Air as merely a platform for getting bookings and payments. Expect nothing more. Do you think Marriott expects Expedia or Booking.com to handle their business? Nope. Same thing.

1 Like

No you cannot. If you go outside Airbnb’s own security deposit scheme, i.e. try and either take in cash or ringfence funds on a CC, outside of Airbnb, then you are in contravention of the ToS. This is what Airbnb say about it:

Can a security deposit be collected outside of the Airbnb website?**

No. To make sure guest payments are protected and that hosts are properly compensated for property damages, we require that all security deposits be handled through Airbnb. Payments outside of the Airbnb website, including security deposits, are a violation of our terms of service.

The consequences, if a guest complains, are likely to be immediate delisting.

Complete and utter bollocks, there is no “loophole”. I’ll use the example channel manager you suggested, here is what they say about security deposits:

If you are collecting security deposits from Bookingcom or direct booking reservations, you can automate this process using Your Porter App.

Taken from here:

https://yourporter.com/how-to/more-features/auto-deposit

None of the channel managers we’ve used, or tested, over the years have the ability to circumvent Airbnb’s processes or ToS. If they did, they’d be denied access to the Airbnb API immediately.

The bottom line is that a security deposit, as in a real security deposit, with Airbnb doesn’t exist, sadly. If it did, there’d a lot less disgruntled hosts who’ve had to jump through the various fiery hoops to get reimbursed via the host guarantee scheme.

There is mention on the Airbnb site of “Airbnb required deposits”, where they do put a hold on the CC, but I’m not sure the actual host has much input in that process!

In the case of BDC, if you use Payments by Booking, then the only way to do it is either by taking cash or CC at check in. If you process your own payments, then you’ll know how it’s done :wink:

Vrbo is similar to BDC if you process your own payments. However, if you allow Vrbo to process your payments then it changed a few months ago. They used to charge the deposit amount on booking and you then had the option to refund post check out, but now (I believe) they simply put a hold on the CC to the value of the deposit.

JF

3 Likes

1 Like

Good luck with that, try it and see how you get on, as a common or garden host…

Been down that road, as a “connected host”, for the past three years.

JF

1 Like

So I just got this in my email from Ownerres…

Special Airbnb webinar tomorrow (Tue, Apr 13) about Request To Book and offline Security Deposits

Hosted by O/R and AirBnb

This is for API connected hosts, I will be attending the webinar …

I will report back.

RR

1 Like

Waiting with interest!

Ownerres seem pretty on the ball, I think it might have been you that mentioned they were doing a trial with Vrbo to allow hosts with less than five properties use the API connection.

Being a “common or garden” Airbnb host, and with an API connection, I thought I’d see what they said when I asked to collect security deposits. Not surprisingly, I’m still waiting for an answer :rofl:

JF

I have occasionally been able to get my $50 fine for failing to clean up dog poop in the yard. I have also gotten bad reviews for it when I was new and charged people before the 14 day review period.

How do you “make sure you get a 5 star?”

I agree with you and have semi-successfully (probably less 50% now) been able to get the fines. I still way prefer those who just do the right thing…

If we had a real deposit… I also have a website and take a real deposit via venmo or paypal. For some reason, I’ve never had an issue with any of those guests. 100% 5 star guests, no issues. The people that sneak in pets, were talking 1% or so, we don’t need them. Would those 1% choose to break the rules if we had a real deposit? I am a guest at airbnbs as well. I have zero hesitation if a host wanted a deposit especially when they are well reviewed. Has airbnb crunched the numbers and realized a loss of business if a real deposit is required? Who knows? Airbnb is running defense for guests as well. In one of the rule breaking instances, the guest happened to also be from my home town according to their profile. So I asked airbnb for their verified info and was considering writing a letter and reminding them of the rules they agreed to and implying small claims court. Airbnb said that giving out guests info would be against policy. A hotel takes your ID and CC info and has recourse. Airbnb is shielding guests from the recourse that a hotel has. It seems wrong and contrary to the historical Hotel to Guest relationship. Anonymity breeds poor behavior and airbnb is providing guest anonymity.

4 Likes

Have you actually used it? What is your experience?

Definitely should look into this on the future but I’m just to the point now that I end up getting usually double my minimum rates because I increase them so much around other reservations and for short notice, and surprisingly, even some from the smart pricing being above my minimum which didn’t happen much before COVID.

I also have a new job now so don’t really have the time for a lot of things I used to…I’m even having to hire cleaners to completely handle turnovers due to me being out of town for this new job.

1 Like

Thank you for asking. No, we have not used it, yet, but are getting very close to opening our new stay. It’s a total renovation of a new space with a private entrance and private elevated deck overlooking the river. It also has a shared common area (entrance vestibule) - so that gives us leverage for enforcing no pets of any kind including SA (allergies).
As to channel managers, we are leaning toward yourporter.com. It’s only $9 a month and looks pretty good. In theory, any channel manager makes us a “software connected host” with the right to collect a direct deposit.
What we may do is include some language that we have the option to charge guest a security deposit if the situation warrants, at sole discretion of host, etc.
We’ll definitely make a big effort up front for direct stay marketing and try to keep Air stays at a minimum.

1 Like

Please do update us when you do as to how you managed it and your experiences. Thanx in advance.

I’ve been indulging in cute pet videos on Facebook since the pandemic, and now I’m getting ads for this ridiculous service to get your “support pet” “legally” certified “FROM REAL DOCTORS, REAL FAST!” Grrrrr. Double Grrrrr.

" In these times of uncertainty, it’s urgent you have the right to be with your pets always!"
“Click to qualify instantly!”
“Save money by eliminating costly pet deposits and waive fees.”