How do you deal with guest discomfort in a minority neighborhood?

Yes, am aware @Helsi. I get marked down in location too. I started to modify my listing once to try to make guests more aware of neighborhood expectations, but then it made me angry that I even needed to do this. Then I figured that a savvy traveler should be able to determine whether or not my location met their expectations through pricing and previous guest stars for location. I’m grateful for those low location stars now.

Maybe a photo called “nearby street scene” making it clear that this was an ethnic neighbourhood and it was safe. Or if there was a local shopkeeper you knew well and agreed to participate and who was a person of color get a photo with the both of you in it the title: “Host with local cafe legend MMM. 10% off coffee for AirBnB guests!”

I might add I wish my local area had some more ethnic diversity! I have to travel 30km just to restock Indian spices. Proper bagels appeared briefly at my local supermarket and then disappeared again. For two blissful mornings I had toasted bagels for breakfast (with vegemite, not lox)

4 Likes

This is a five minute walk from my house @JamJerrupSunset

http://www.sweetmart.co.uk/

One of my favourite shops and they do internet shopping now. How it’s grown over the years from a tiny grocers!

1 Like

Oh I forgot you were in the west country too. There is a special offer on Wriggle (Bristol food app) on their takeaway meals. Check it out.

Great. I also love the Thali Cafe. My first house was in Greenbank.

Oh really, Greenbank is lovely - there’s a couple of much more authentic Indian restaurants opened off St Mark’s.

Where are you know?