How did your stay compare to expectations?

As I thought, since the old review system has created an inflation of superhost one must now get rid of that by asking guests vague questions which have a huge impact if not answered ‘correctly’. Well, since the guests end up not revewing anyway, many will not reach the limit of 50%. So byebye SH. Easy. And if many enough hit the 3 (as expected) then byebye platform as well. Darwinism or something I suppose.

2 Likes

I think this is an excellent psychological discussion. We all want our experience to exceed our expectations, don’t we?

For example, my kitchen, which guests are free to use, is always full of old, empty tins and bottles. So a couple of years ago, I took pictures of my flat, myself, including this clutter in my kitchen. So fellow hosts - it might even have been on this very forum, here - remarked that this looks pretty messy, and guests wouldn’t want to see these kind of pictures.

So when the professional Airbnb photographer came to my house, last year, he took great pictures, omitting all the clutter. Sure enough, soon the first set of reviews came in, with guests complaining that the pictures did not depict the real state of my flat. Those flawless pictures created an expectation of cleanliness which simply is not there.

So I was wondering if I should dump those professional pictures and use the old ones, again, in order not to create this rift between guests’ expectations and the “real thing”.

3 Likes

I deleted my professional photos from the AirBnB photographer and replaced them with ones I took. My conversation rate is at 3% right now so I don’t think it has hurt my bookings to have crappier photos.

3 Likes