How can Airbnb give over $6000 compensation to a guest without practicing due diligence?

Yes all their own homes!! As most are in SF and the local law requires that if you do STR it must be your one and only residence (within SF)

1 Like

I’d love to see Chesky’s listing.

I’m sure you could find it on Google!

I didn’t find any current listings.

I did see his profile but no listings. The last review was someone who cancelled in Sept. 2015. Oh well…

1 Like

Oh bummer!! I know as of the 2015 Air BNB open he had a listing. Maybe he never got a permit to legally host in SF. I remember there being a local news article about one of the ABB guys illegally hosting.

2 Likes

Did either of you see the article in the New York Times about the listing in Trump Tower? Several people stayed there in the fall and through/past the inauguration. LOL. They’ve taken it down now.

3 Likes

I did see that! Great story. Secret Service shut that down but fast.

“Don’t forget that Airbnb is run by a bunch of 20 yo who are not required to host, but enjoy the free power trip they get by playing with someone else money.”

I think @gbanchini was referencing the employees of AirBnB making all these decisions are 20 somethings hiding behind a computer screen and making huge financial decisions against the people taking all the risk. Meanwhile most of these kids are probably college students who probably still live in their parent’s basements and have no idea that poor internet connection is not worth $1000/month in reparations.

5 Likes

Follow up article about the Trump Tower AirBNB this morning:

1 Like

Same here
taken advantage by to guest in new york city
when i m away in overseas i usually put my list because 3 bedrooms and nyc crazy pricy
average long term rooms are 1000 here and my list only btwn 45-55
if we consider december jan feb almost total vacancy it is same price for a roommate in short term what ever lets go my story.
she made reservation her profile was awesome with a few good review price was $50
and when she checked in i wasn’t home like 12.00am and was working for a very very small water leak by radiator she text me that she don’t feel comfortable and ask for discount and i declined when arriva home by 1:00am she said that she do not pay and will ask airbnb for refund i told her i can drop her anywhere in city for free and make full refund nope she is hard core and she asking me you make the cancellation which will sent my lst all teh way end of list possible closing i show her refund list in my phone included 30 days long term one of them was $600 another one $1200
nope she want to stay and no pay and she is professional talking very politely and really professional cool scammer i told her if she doesnt quit i ll call 911 to get her out because she decline to go and keep giving me hard time still a woman and it is midnight she said that she going to her friend (by the way another airbnb guest in another room and he is witness of all those conversation) i drop her at midnight to midtown with my car (yes she had free ride with an luxury mercedes S550 to)
and finally said sent me that you want refund (there wasnt an option at that time sent money to guest or ask for money at app menu)
next day i saw money taken from my account :frowning: and she claim that is not safe but she want to stay
between me and airbnb case manager corresponding was 6 pages and sorry airbnb but the case manager was rude and 80 reviews host says goes trash when she had her many straight when i was voluntarily pay her .

2nd will keep short
a couple checked in when i m not here
next day he claimed some broken glass in kitchen and his wife step on it.
in 5 minute
person 1 neighbor came in no broken glass
at same time my friend arrived there house is no one and no broken glass
in 15 minutes one friend and other airbnb guest arrived home no broken glass no guest.
i give 5 people cell phone 2 of them reviewed one 8 other 6 review airbnb guest
nope Mrs case manager take down my list it is take two months to reopen .
dear airbnb please do not throw your 80 review host for a no review idiot scammer
CRAZY.
NOW MY 2 ROOMS ARE ON SHORT TERM LEASE FOR 3 MONTHS.

Unbelievable!
I had similar experiences about payout issues guests stayed 12 nights during new year, Airbnb forgot to collect money so Airbnb didn’t pay me…and refuse to pay me afterwards as well

A post was split to a new topic: ABB is 100% Pro Guest!

Hi Zac

Why not start your own post, rather than tagging onto someone else’s - as you are likely to get a better response.

You sound a highly experience host so likely know as much about this sort of issue as we do.,

What amenity issue did you guest complain of on day one? How long did it take to get resolved.? As you know the guest is meant to contact you about problems before approaching Airbnb, so presumably both the guest notified you and Airbnb must have communicated with you too.

Have you spoken to them via twitter.

If Airbnb is a headache for you and your family. Try voting with you feet and using other platforms.

I may be considered an experienced Superhost after doing this for a year-and-a-half but very little experience with complaints or disputes because I’m a fantastic host. Sorry to intrude upon your thread. I’m not very experienced in forums… because again, I don’t get complaints.

LMAO at @Airbnbhelp on twitter. I’ve never found assistance there, only promises to reroute me to someone that will get back to me at their earliest convenience. Wait times for response and lack of communication are absurd.

As for voting with my feet, I have just signed up for HomeAway and I’m looking into others now… also looking at third-party management platforms as the Airbnb platform is leaves a lot to be desired.

As for communications of a complaint, I can hardly consider him letting me know that one of the smoke alarm batteries was weak and therefore putting off an intermittent beep, which was dealt with within 15 minutes of my notification, as a complaint. In fact, the battery wasn’t even weak and the button simply needed to be pushed to reset it.

I hope the point of your reply I wasn’t too defend Airbnb customer service protocols. That would be a ridiculous an unproductive position for a venue such as this. Or was your intent perhaps to inform me that there’s nothing I can learn on this site because I have more experience than everyone posting??? Again, I’m not a very experienced forum user, so correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t that what this site is for?

Thanks for your help?

You may find homeaway way worse.

1 Like

Oh Plllleeeease. . . .by 20 yo I meant the Case Managers. . . Brian Chesky has no idea about the day to day cases and how they’re being handled.

er, parsley is garnish. I think OP wanted to say “garnishee”.

Hi there- is 28 days a specific maximum for some reason? Just wondering as I’m working on my first listing. thanks.

In many areas, particularly in the US, a guest who stays for 28 days become tenants, with tenants’ rights. This means that to get them out of the property, you have to go to court to evict them legally.

This can takes months and you are obliged to keep all utilities available for the ‘tenants’ during this time. (In other words, you are screwed financially).

However, this is a very old topic and some of the information posted here may be outdated so I am closing this thread.

Please feel free to post elsewhere in this forum. Thank you.