How are they going to verify all those hosts? By charging money, of course. Why didn't we see this coming?

So then it must be true.

Lol

RR

2 Likes

Chesky: "The challenge is you can’t physically inspect seven, eight, nine million properties,” Chesky said about a week ago on the podcast.

Yah think? 🤦

I think it won’t be a fast-track at all. It will shake out to be another money grab and the badge won’t come unless payment does first.

They could have “solved” this before it ever started by actually verifying listings, hosts and guests, like they say they do when you sign up. When we had our issue with the “evil guest that shall not be named” it was disconcerting at best to be told they wouldn’t give out ID information … Pretty sure they never had it to start with.

They don’t have to physically verify either. A background check and a little more security up front would have been genius. Now they are behind the eight ball and don’t know how to fix the problem they set in motion.

1 Like

You’re right, I didn’t see that coming. However the article does confirm what we did see coming:

Airbnb will put a “verified” badge on your listing.
Airbnb will be using guests to verify listings through surveys (which will be part of the review system).
Airbnb Plus and Luxe listings are exempt.

1 Like

I wonder how much overlap there is between superhosts and scam hosts?

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it only partially verifies a listing. Chesky specifically said “Homes will be verified for accuracy of the listing (including accuracy of photos, addresses, and listing details) and quality standards (including cleanliness, safety, and basic home amenities)”

Any previous Airbnb photography is not guaranteed to have captured these. I would even argue that if there was a problem, a previous photography session would have purposefully avoided capturing it.

2 Likes

I can’t wait for a photographer with an Airbnb golf shirt to sniff my shower gel and make sure it’s really Tahitian Vanilla, maybe have a couple of snacks, count the pillows and use the fire pit :laughing:

2 Likes

Probably small, but not small enough to exempt Superhosts. Although I’d wager the overlap gets smaller for hosts that have consistently been Superhosts.

Maybe they’ll at least let the consistent Superhosts trade their travel voucher for the cost of the verification.

1 Like

I just have to say here… I suspected they would do something like this. Great way to turn a tragedy into more money for Airbnb. I guess this means they really have gone “evil”.

3 Likes

The challenge on this for some of us is that our properties don’t really lend themselves to easy verification other than a physical inspection. I had a b**ch of a time getting our property verified when I had to go on HomeAway payments. They asked for a utility bill with our address - we don’t have an address! They asked for a government website to look us up - St Lucia is not that advanced. They finally accepted us when I sent them the purchase contract and begged a lot.
In St Lucia, in order to find out who owns something, you either knock on the door and ask, or ask the neighbors, or stand in line at the government office with a plat plan and pay ~$5US to have them look up the owner. Oh, and wait for about an hour in a hot room.

2 Likes

Uh, no. Not only have tons of hosts reported terrible photos from Airbnb photographers, they don’t have photographers all over the world. No way I want to be stuck with Airbnb photos.

6 Likes

I want to find out , “How I can become an Airbnb “verifier”? “. I’m open to earning some extra money and getting to know my neighbors.

in the USA There are vendor verification services like Reptrax/Intellicentrics/Sec3ure, simplr & more that will do a complete criminal background check on the host or co-host at the host’s expense.

After Airbnb thinks about options, I will bet they have hosts verify, then verify location.

3 Likes

hi, there! does having flexible cancellations improve the listing’s position in searches? i’ve never seen that…is this an educated guess? thx, rr

Yes, just a guess. No way to know for sure.

RR

exchanging the travel voucher is a brilliant idea! Write to Chesky…

I was looking for an AirBnB in Seattle for a Thanksgiving visit and ran across some truly horrible “AirBnB Verified” photos of disheveled kitchen with dirty dishes, unmade beds… and I’ve seen some horrible photos taken by Air’s “professionals” that are worse than my iPhone room pix!

5 Likes

They are now. I’ve filled out 5 in the last month. It’s optional after the review. Their inept software was asking for details about a stay last week at the Air I just returned to. Wanting to know about steps, grab bars, and whether the shower had a sill. Another one asked about other amenities.

Wow - I didn’t know photographers would dishevel kitchens with dirty dishes and create unmade beds… . I thought they took pictures.

That is not what @NordlingHouse said… I understood it to mean that the house had a dirty kitchen and unmade beds when the photographer came, so that is what the pictures show. In other words, “verification” by photo doesn’t necessarily imply quality.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what verified means but I never thought they were professionally done pictures.

This host operates on very low margins. It’s a way to offset bills. Now everyone wants a slice of the pie. For the amount of work involved, I am already making less than minimum wage. (Mind you, I have a very clean house!)

So get ready for the rant!

If a host has been in business for years, and has good metrics, is this really necessary? And in a multi billion dollar firm, should they not be the ones to cover security concerns?

3 Likes