House Rules—how to communicate them?

Then you refund once you get paid and if you make less you refund less.

RR

RR

2 Likes

How odd. What if you wanted a fishtank - does each fish count? Or is that only for mammals, lizards, etc? :smile:

The best response IMO is what you wrote them - hopefully in the airbnb system “You are welcome to come without the dog”.

You didn’t create the problem and you certainly should not suffer for it.

I do wonder if, as a paying guest who maybe does not come - would they be able to blast you with 1 star if they wish? If they did, would airbnb remove such a review …?

1 Like

It’s for dogs specifically.

Not these guests, because they cancelled. That’s why I offered to refund if re-booked so that they would cancel. I certainly don’t want them here pouting about not having their Yorkie with them. I did however first suggest they come without it and they refused, so that was their choice.

I would hope so! It is my first and most prominent house rule. If they mentioned they wanted to break it and I couldn’t allow them to, then I’d hope it was irrelevant, but who knows…

1 Like

Ours are shown in the listing, and in a binder in the Suite with the House Manual. Our expereince is most do not read anything - book first and then are surprised when we point out that our listing says NO PETS for example, and have to go through the hassle of declining the booking.

Yes, most people don’t want to read. We see it here on the forum, hosts state all the time they didn’t read the TOS and don’t know the Airbnb policy. The best policy is to guest proof the listing as well as possible, minimize rules and adjust hosting attitudes since that’s all we can control anyway.

1 Like

Well said

RR

r

2 Likes

Absolutely. I don’t know what it is about Airbnb that makes people so lax about their businesses. And not only guest proof the listing , minimise rules and adjust attitude - also interact with guests!

I think that many hosts do not have any prior business experience and this is all new to them.

RR

2 Likes

I know.

It’s that Airbnb over-promises and under-delivers. Log out of your account and go read their spiel about how great and easy it is to become a host. Read all their promo-misses (promises) with fresh eyes and you’ll see where hosts get these crazy ideas.

4 Likes

And yet they go into such a demanding business as hospitality - odd.

1 Like

There was an Airbnb banner ad at the top of my page on this forum earlier that is exactly what I’m talking about. A saffron sunset with humans and the Airbnb logo and the words to the effect of “make extra money for the special things in life.”

Airbnb makes it simple!

Yet I thought that people today are mostly immune to advertising and are pretty cynical about what they hear on the news or read in the media. I guess I was wrong!

1 Like

Here’s the banner that I saw:

I have them in my listing, but in our experience people rarely read much of the listing. One Christmas when the holiday fell on Thursday a man who had made the reservation sent his wife on the first day, Saturday. He planned to join her on Wednesday. When we got home on Wednesday we had a note from the wife: “My husband didn’t read your policies and brought out dog so we have left and are looking for a hotel”. It was, after all, Christmas Eve and we might have made provisions if they had called. Still we imagine that made for fun holiday for that couple!

1 Like

Absolutely.
About 6 months in, I had an epiphany: “Holy crap, I have a business. WTF. I don’t know anything about business. And why are all of these strangers in my house? Crap.”
Oh well…LOL :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes