Hosts Who Use Nest Thermostats

Is the heat delivered by water/steam to the rooms or via an air duct?

I think the best thing you could do is to hire a HVAC company to install the system into 2 zones. This way, you can put a dedicated thermostat for the Airbnb unit which gives you full control. That is what I would do if I were dividing a heating system in half. BUT, this isn’t that easy if you have forced air. If you have hot water for heat, it should be a very easy fix.

It’s done by water/steam

Edit: I saw this https://nest.com/ie/support/article/Does-Nest-work-with-zoned-systems.

Our problem is in Sweden they don’t have a list of company that are doing installation, so we need to find an other company that can do it or do it ourself

Yes, nest does work with zoned systems… Mine is zoned and nest was AWFUL providing me support on how to do it. SO, I went to another message board and found someone who could help me do the set up myself. It was confusing, but it worked out for me in the end.

As it’s not zoned, I guess it’s need to put a valve on each floor…
I guess best it’s to best a company to make the installation

Similar to the forced-air designs, there are also electronic-controlled steam valves that can be connected to such a thermostat.

For thermostatic valves there are other good systems.
I work with Z-Wave, in my most used rooms I can control the radiator valves on a programm or with an app on my phone.

But there is an other option, do you know what brand thermostatic valves you have? For guest bedrooms I use thermostatic head with a fixed limit, they cannot be set higher than 20C

http://www.imi-hydronic.com/Handlers/FileDownloaderHandler.ashx?path=%2FProductFiles%2FProducts%2Fdocuments%2FInstructions%2FIMI_Heimeier%2FLow%2FTherm-Kopf-head-K-versetzt-begr-staggered-restr.pdf

Other places I have the B version, which can only be adjusted with a special key.

1 Like

That is exactly how we do it.

Z-Wave has been pretty cool from the small amount of testing I have done. I am considering converting my entire business over to it as well as several of my other commercial and residential properties. I had some issues with it when I tried it last year but I think you guys are moving in the right direction with an excellent idea and the potential for some really innovative products.

Being able to control these valves can save people from having to install second zones on their properties and hopefully give them the same control over the heat/cold as Nest does.

Hi Rolf,

Do you know if there is a way to lock and not offer heating/air conditioning at all? For instance if my air-conditioning is not working I prefer no one play around with it until it is fixed and ready to go.

Thanks in advance!

What model thermostat do you have? Or, simply throw the breaker that runs your a/c system… assuming you have the breakers box inaccessible to your guests

They have access to breakers. I mainly want to lock it

Model: Display-3.5
Backplate model: Backplate-5.3
Device ID:
Software: 6.1-9
Updated: Mar 1, 2021 2:28 PM
Wi‑Fi MAC:
MAC: 18b43080a4ee
IP: 192.168.0.122
Last contact: Just now
Battery: 3.92 volts

What is the manufacturers name and model number? It could be the name right on the thermostat itself. For example Honeywell model number X. When we have that, then we can tell you how to work it

It’s the nest thermostat 3.5 (3rd generation)

from their instruction manual:

“You can lock your Google Nest thermostat from the Settings menu on your thermostat or with the Nest app. … Unless someone has the four digit PIN that you create when locking your Nest thermostat, they won’t be able to unlock the thermostat or change any of the thermostat’s settings.”

Yes, you can lock but leave a certain temperature range available which triggers the ON function. I’d like to have it completely OFF or without access to move any temperature range. I ask this because I know most digital thermostats have this function. At my restaurant I can set it where my employees can’t use it at all. But it’s Honeywell.

Thanks in advance!

Exactly! There’s no way to turn it off completely. If there is anyone else on this thread that might have an idea, we welcome :sweat_smile:

Thanks anyways Rolf :facepunch:

Turning off ac or heat is discussed in the article. What makes you think that it is incorrect?

I didn’t see that. Sorry. Where?