Hosts should be able to offer Meal-Vouchers eg Lunch

Thank You so much for such a thorough response! Having been reading on this forum for quite a while and posting recently, I can tell that I am going to have to go out of my comfort zone and seriously consider the possibility that I may have to start pursuing other avenues of gaining rentals other than abb

I had NO idea abb was testing this, this makes no sense to me! And it upsets me because as I’ve mentioned before, I have a bit of commitment phobia, so I sometimes don’t open up dates on my calendar until 7-10 days before the days I’m willing to rent out.

I am slightly familiar with VRBO, had my place listed there for a little bit, but found the inquiries to be less than above board, maybe I should have stuck with it a bit longer, but I just really don’t need one more thing on my plate at this time. And if I am to apply my time and effort now, I think it should be in gaining my rental income for myself.

Brook Tripadvisor offers an airbnb style to. It’s called “Flipkey” I believe, another place to advertise.

I was on there for a bit, got inquiries that were not indicative of people I would want in my home. Most of the listings on there in my area are actual businesses. There are a few privately owned places like mine. But I also note the guest reviews are harsh, seems like people who use both tripadvisor and flipkey as guests are just miserable! A complete different atmosphere than ABB. Hosts just seem to have to spend an awful lot of time responding to ridiculous accusations and complaints from reviewers. Maybe it’s because the guests photo is not plastered next to their review, so it just gives people the feeling that they should conduct themselves like online bullies.

2 Likes

Guests, some anyway, want cheap. So they’ll take anything that’s edible if it’s free. I think once you start adding on charges for food that most would prefer to grab fast food or whatever.

J Wang

As I said it’s not compulsory, so Im a bit confused by you saying adding on charges. It’s a voluntary add on, all these catering options will only be offered if people purchase a voucher. It’s voluntary, and they can still stay at the Host’s place, even if they don’t purcache meal vouchers.

I suppose if you offer the option for meals it might be appealing to some guests.

The idea of the voucher for meals sounds good. It’s convenient for the possible jet-lagged guest or weary traveler who doesn’t want to hassle going out. Since I’m a single working person I could possibly give the option of a dinner during the week and on weekends, but hosts who work from home could offer all meals.

Breakfast seems like the big deal for most of my guests. I leave out protein bars and fruit plus coffee or tea. I also offer a plate of food to the guest if I’m cooking myself dinner. Most of the time they happily accept after I describe what I’m cooking. Some decline, and here is the problem that might arise with the meal voucher: people have food preferences–likes and dislikes, so how do you address that? “no onions” “vegetarian” “not spicy” etc.

What if you cook a meal that is not to their liking yet they have paid for? It’s a worst case scenario I realize, but it’s going to happen. People can be very fussy. Just ask any waiter! :)))))

To deal with that issue a few options:

-Maybe have a set-menu and they pre-book and in comments sections could say stuff like eg NO CHEESE or NO Garlic etc.
-So maybe haveing a set non-negotiable menu choice, despite being limited may also provide the most stability. But by haveing a set menu, you can have a lot of menu choices on your menu, as all meal-vouchers are pre-ordered before the stay not during the stay. So like a 5-Star Hotel, you could have a vast menu range eg Pizza styles/Pasta dishes/Indian curries/Mexican Burritos etc.

Steve. I hope you are being facetious about serving a vast array of dining options. Airbnb is about cheaper accommodation provided by resident hosts. To shop, cook, and serve just one meal for even one guest, at least for me, would cost more than what I charge for one night at my place and my guests wouldn’t want to participate. I realize some hosts offer higher-end, larger properties. These hosts might be able to justify hiring outside help to provide meals.

You make some good points, but not I’m not being fictitious etc, Im being real. I’ll go over your points.

1. You say airbnb is about cheaper accommodation provided by resident hosts, in reality now that could be nothing further from the truth. Airbnb caters to all markets, and is really ramping up it’s promotion of the Luxury and corporate market. You can get listing for $5 dollars on aribnb to $15,000 per night. Mariah carey the pop star rented out some Mansion by the beach for like 15K per night. Tennis court and a host of other luxury mod-cons. So all markets are offered in airbnb not just the cheap market.

2)Some hosts have more time than others, and can deliver a full menu option, and if told in advance (pre-meal booking vouchers), can prepare food and people will play like resturents. Restaurents take time to prepare food, and have to make a profit, same applies to airbnb cooking for guests. Mnay websites now you can go eat at someone else’s house and pay them to cook for you. Also don’t forget bed and breakfasts, who often offer lunch and dinner too, so you can make money from food, and if you buy in bulk it’s cheaper, and people will pay top dollar for a good dinner. Eg $35 each for a main meal. And iwht online shopping you can get food delivered to save time shopping at supermarket. So it can be done, making a profit from selling meal vouchers in my view.

Of course there are hosts who use Airbnb to offer very high end properties and services. They are pretty must like hotels or luxury properties who employ others to help run the business; and that’s great. Most of us, myself included, offer cheaper accommodation for the budget traveller who wants to save money but also have a more personalized experience.

I don’t advertise that I offer meals because I don’t want the responsibility; and I work a full-time job. However, I do end up offering quite a bit of food to my guests; and I put out fruit, Cliff bars, tea and coffee.

And on a related note, after this last messy guest–who’s packing to leave as I type–I’ve decided I’m going to reword my listing to not allow any cooking. Heating water, making coffee, or making cereal in the micro is fine. I’ve discovered it just means more work for me because,invariably, the kitchen is never left as clean as it was. I might consider allowing some cooking for longer-term guests.

1 Like

lol @ Gandy! I think it’s a dreadful idea myself, especially for the run of the mill travelers that most of us Airbnb hosts encounter. However, it would make for some great “Airbnb horror stories”. All I can think of is what it’s like going out for a meal with a friend or 2; or the process of calling in a take-away order as we often do at work: “No tomatoes…extra this…can you put the “x” on the side?” People can be so picky and fussy.

1 Like