Hosts beware! Wave of last minute scam instant bookings. Burglarized by one

Really?

Have you followed the news lately? AirBnB takes no responsibility of your listing.
There have been many examples in the news where AirBnB say they are not responsible if the host is doing something illegal.

Following local laws is your responsibility, like paying taxes and other legal obligations.

Read their terms under 7.
https://www.airbnb.nl/terms

@Sandy2 I would LOVE a wifi lock! But my door - which is half of a full glass french door - does not support the kind of tumbler action supported by a wifi lock. I would have to get a whole new glass door. I’ve been renting a long time - I just don’t see the need. I change it every couple of months or so.

Hi @faheem! No, I do not. That is not really the norm in the Catskills. Most of the rentals are not shares, but whole house vacation rentals with the owners somewhere else - usually NYC. But I am very good at managing my communications with my guests, and I am in touch with them on the day of their arrival and ask that they drop me a line after they arrive. So far it has worked every well. My reviews are very good. Knock on wood.

BUT, I might be looking to do it differently with my vintage travel trailer rental - that might require a meet & greet, but hopefully I will be upstate when that is booked. To be figured out …

1 Like

Yep. From the BBC.

For the UK to leave the EU it has to invoke an agreement called Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty which gives the two sides two years to agree the terms of the split. Theresa May has said she will not kick off this process before the end of 2016.

Hi @CatskillsGrrl,

Yes, I can see you have stellar reviews and no doubt a wonderful place, but reviews, however good, aren’t an effective defense against psycho loonies. I always recommend that people check up on their guests. If they are staying there alone, that’s an even better reason to check up on them. You can always make it a requirement for them to send you documentation in advance.

And don’t depend on Airbnb. Seriously.

1 Like

A whole new door won’t pass a good cost benefit analysis! Your cabin is so adorable, and I am going to guess that its location doesn’t lend itself to the rent and strip model. Just think how far away the nearest fence would be!

1 Like

You’d be surprised, actually. Legally, I’m sure a lawyer could win an argument that hosts are complying with the law by having Airbnb be their de facto data collector. You could also win an argument over fake IDs — Honestly, do you think the average host is going to be able to tell when they’re presented with a fake ID? That legal argument could extend to Airbnb’s system.

Again, I think a lawyer could win an argument that the keeper of the premises is using Airbnb as their legal proxy to take these details.

ALL THAT SAID — I actually agree with both of you that it’s likely many UK hosts aren’t complying with the law every time, because not all guests have verified IDs, and not all guests will use their passports as verified ID. Some could use their drivers licenses, unless I’m mistaken there.

A lawyer will not be able to upkeep the proxy argument.

Because:

1. AirBnB is not keeping records of all guests over 16, only the main guest
  2. You are not able to show it on request. AirBnB will not give it to you, they will hide themselves behind the “privacy” agrument.

Also it would be smart to keep the records yourself in case of a problem. If you have all data, it would be less likely that a person does something illegal. And it they trash your place, you have all the data to go the the police and report them for vandalism. Because we all know AirBnB’s host protection program is a joke.

1 Like

Thank you for this post. It should be required reading for all new Hosts.

Like Alex1, I have had a rash of IB’s lately with very little information.

What happened today scared the crap out of me.

A last minute IB with a blurry photo, Guest’s education, and a 2-word introduction. Further, although I require previous reviews from other Hosts, somehow she bypassed this! I could also find nothing on social media about her. VERY scary.

The Airbnb case manager cancelled the reservation, but the Guest showed up anyway with her daughter around 9:30 PM. They never got the cancellation.

Or so they said.

If that were true, both the email address and phone number she provided was fake.

I gave them the Airbnb customer service number, and offered the name of a restaurant. However my prospective Guest was preoccupied - with shouting personal insults at me. The only education this woman had was in a ship’s forecastle.

In short, this has “scam” all over it.

I contacted the case manager again and suggested that next time perhaps he should be “reaching out” to the IT manager as to how she ever got an IB with me.

Deeply disturbing.

Uhm, you clean between guest so why can’t you change codes?

RR

2 Likes

Holy moly! Is this UK law???

I take ID of everyone’s staying on the property.
It’s for mine and everyone’s safety.
I’m also very clear in the house rules that NO ID - NO CHECK-IN.
Plus, by local law, I have to report to police everyone who refused to provide ID.
I also don’t give a shiny shoe about GDPR.
This ID note helps tremendously to keep bad guys at bay.

Hey @sandyb that link didn’t work for me.

Thank you! That is truly frightening!