Hosts airbnb is not on your side

No. what this is “supposed” to mean is that if for example you have a pic of an outdoor grilling area (and it is shared with neighboring tenants) then that should be disclosed. Or if the rooftop is shared with other tenants then that should be disclosed. They act as if they had planned to dine out on the stairwell or something.

What’s next? If I have a house right on the beach, can a guest claim that they assumed the entire ocean was just for them? What about the pic of the restaurant next door? Of course it would be ridiculous to say “other customers can also visit this restaurant while you are there”?

I am just astounded that Air didn’t even pay you out of their pocket for one night stay and cleaning fee. didn’t even offer a voucher to you? Nothing!

Some of these Air reps. have more “creative” interpretations than even the most unscrupulous attorneys!

6 Likes

Aww Jaime, I am so sorry. I do have a question that no one has asked: How can it be STR if there’s a 30 day minimum? NY laws are so crazy. So does this mean that basically someone’s only options for staying 1-29 nights in NY is a hotel?

I was kinda regretting letting my young cousin rent our little MIL apartment over this coming school year for $300/month and babysitting a few times a month as we usually make $1000-1800/month, but I think I’ll be ready to have no laundry or almost daily turnovers after this summer. And I’ll definitely be glad to not have to deal with Air’s “customer service”.

And like Faheem mentioned, I have a guest guidebook that has pages on the house rules, local amenities, emergency procedures, and at the end if they’re bored I have a page on the review process and what the stars mean, etc. And how I base my reviews as well. But my one bad review is buried and I’ve met the requirements for superhost, so I don’t want to encourage reviews, lol. If someone leaves me one I leave them one, but unless they were stellar and we had a great rapport or unless they were horrible and I want to warn future hosts, I don’t review people.

1 Like

One of the requirements for superhost is 50% review rate.

“Received a 5-star review at least 80% of the time you’ve been reviewed, as long as at least half of the guests who stayed with you left a review”

1 Like

I’m at 81% review rate, lol

1 Like

Or ending with with a heart!

The scuff marks and clutter were also bogus. Definitely NO CLUTTER and yeah a few bike tire marks on shared hallway stairwell from muscling a bike on shoulder up and down 4 floors.

I would not be in the least surprised if one of the reps. said "well…you will need to find some sort of examples of the place not being “maintained” and signs of the apt. not being clean. So all the guest could come up with was scuff marks and “clutter” that wasn’t clutter at all. Sigh…

1 Like

Airbnb lost their fight with NYC and as far as I understand it…not being a lawyer…subletting for 30 days plus is fine but less could land you a fine. Subletting is a institution in NYC which everyone does. So it’s common knowledge that 30 + is cool. If you list for shorter you could get a fine though I doubt NYC puts a lot of their resources into enforcing it. This time around I had to make it avail for shorter so I could get it rented at the 11th hour and cover my costs but normally I only do 30+ sublets.

3 Likes

I know this an older post but wanted to chime in that this is effing ridiculous. I am now re-composing my photo captions in my head “Caution: the host may enter the backyard to refill the bird feeder” “Warning: the host may walk in the driveway and approach within several feet of your vehicle to take out the trash.” I would love to stay in your LEGAL Airbnb if I am ever on an extended visit. Hang in there and list on other sites. If your loser guests are afraid to have a real experience as advertised they should stay in the Plaza.