[Title/Post Redacted]

[Redacted]

Posts offering advice are not welcomed unless such advice was asked for by a member.
Posts offering advice which does not apply to 100% of members not welcome.

6 Likes

It’s going to get hot in here :smiling_imp:,
I can just feel it coming !

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

16 Likes

Is what I said really that controversial? I didn’t realize… :hushed:

No, don’t worry, controversial it isn’t :slightly_smiling_face:. But there is quite some food for discussion in your post: Topics that have already been discussed fiercely on this forum :wink:. So we will have to see who, in favor or against, will come to the arena and provide us some spectacle.

Most certainly all the amenities you provide will spark some discussion. I for certain wouldn’t be making any money if I provided all the things you provide.

5 Likes

Probably more that in your first post here, it looks like you have cut and paste a blog post (or similar) aimed at new hosts and posted it in a forum which is aimed at experienced hosts without looking at what has already been discussed before on this topics .

Probably comes across as a tad patronising :slight_smile:

11 Likes

This is a post I hand wrote yesterday. I didn’t realize this forum was only for experienced hosts, I thought it was for all hosts, new and experienced a like. I don’t mean to be patronizing. I mean to be helpful to those that aren’t seeing the results they would like or for new hosts.

4 Likes

Yes, I’m trying to figure out who asked for your advice and/or are you selling something. Nothing personal, it just made me a bit skeptical of your motives. In general, I’m not sure your hosting style fits every property; it’s not a one size fits all.

3 Likes

Hi @sirvin

Don’t worry why don’t you put your extensive hosting experience to good use and contribute to some of the posts here from hosts looking for advice and support and then you can tailor your response to a question that’s been asked.

It’s just by making your first post one that doesn’t answer a question and promotes links to commercial products, it makes your post look a bit spammy.

I have to disagree with @GutHend on this one, I believe In general this forum is for more experienced hosts (I am sure the mods can clarify) and we tend to direct newbies wanting start up information to the Airbnb Help Centre and its Community Forums/.

1 Like

I won’t question your good intentions :relaxed:, and it’s true that this forum is not only for experienced hosts but also for newer hosts who want to learn quickly so they can do a good job.
However, the reasons for not seeing any results, may be very different to the things your topic speaks about: Market saturation, lousy cost control, not knowing the market one is catering for, etc. … What may work in SantaAna, might not work in Timbuktu.

But keep your posts and help coming, also in other topics. Another view is never a view too many. Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Wow. I am shocked and amazed at the immediate negative response to my post. I didn’t mean it as patronizing, degrading, or as a catch all for every listing. It was meant as a guide from my perspective that you can then choose what to add or change in your own listing. The reason I compiled it all into on post instead of commenting on multiple old posts is because as an Airbnb traveler as well, I continue to see and experience a lot of bad hosting practices.

Based on the response to my post, it almost feels like any suggestions toward improving hosting practices are not welcome here and I’m a bad person for suggesting it…

2 Likes

What??!! Really? Just because I’m trying to help other hosts that may want help (if you don’t, then ignore my post), I have to have ulterior motives or be selling something?? What has this forum done to you guys??

1 Like

And there is the friction point. Hosts that don’t really care about their listing and their guests’ experiences aren’t members of forums. They don’t invest that kind of time into making their spaces special.

Many of your suggestions are not my style, or don’t apply to my type of listing. The ones that do fit, I am already doing but in my own way.

I have no idea how you could get this type of information to the mediocre hosts out there that are not searching for ways to increase their guests’ happiness and/or their own profit margins.

2 Likes

You are correct. I will make that edit. Thank you for noticing.

1 Like

To be honest, based on the initial response to my first post, I am second guessing my membership here. Everyone seems to have a guard up and already jaded towards any posts that suggest they improve their listing in any way. I am very put off at the moment.

1 Like

I send you a private message. Please read.

Hi @sirvin

I think it’s like with any forum or social media space, you read and get a feel for a forum and read it’s rules before starting to contribute. I appreciate you have been a member since last summer, but haven’t posted before.

Unfortunately there are people who have been on here before who post blogs with links to commercial products they promote, which they get a commission on, so some here are a little cynical, when someone does that in their first post.

No-one has said you are a bad person, it’s just more experienced members are suggesting it’s probably not the best way to introduce yourself.

As I said do stay around and contribute by answering some of the recent posts on here asking for advice and input. I have found this one of the most useful forums with great advice.

1 Like

I have been reading around the forum since I joined. However, I did not read the rules to be honest. Did I violate a rule by posting what I did? Honestly, my head is kind of spinning still from the backlash I’ve received. I was not expecting it at all.

1 Like

As did I since I joined and have just been reading every now and then, which I why I decided to contribute to the advice, and I guess it came off wrong.

@sirvin, you may NOT post affiliate links or any links that that users off the forum. Please edit your post to remove them. I would do it but it’s way too much work because there are so many of them. I’m not going to comment on the content because other users have said enough but If you want your post to remain, please take the links out now. Thank you.

PS. Please read the Forum guidelines before posting again. Thank you.

@sirvin… actually, I am going to unlist your post until you take the links out. You can still see it as will those who have commented and the mods, but not anyone else.