Host VENT: To review or not to review - zero self reliance and initiative

I take offense too. It is incredibly rude to suggest all Americans are one way.

2 Likes

I appreciate the non-Americans sticking up for the Americans here, though Iā€™d like to add another perspective. I normally donā€™t like to stereotype anyone based on nationality, but given my countryā€™s behavior in global politics, I donā€™t mind. Is anyone familiar with the concept of ā€œpunching upā€?

2 Likes

Stupid entitled people could come from anywhere. I just had a former host who failed to read the location, even though itā€™s in the title of the room, and failed to read the check in window despite planning a journey which arrives at night. She wasnā€™t at all capable of even trying to calculate public transport times.
She then proceeded to try to bully me into cancelling 3 times, I refused of course. Now she has agreed to arrive by taxi to speed things up, but I can feel a stealth review from hell coming on.

Maybe to avoid all the pointless finger wagging from the peanut gallery I should have added the qualifier: *in my experience hosting so far, all Americansā€¦ Would that then suffice to avoid offending you?

Youā€™re lucky then, Iā€™ve experience entirely the opposite. Incapable, whinny, entitled.

1 Like

Well, I hate nationalist stereotyping and I also hate people who take offense at it, so I guess that covers almost everyone ā€¦ except for jamjerrup

Brilliant!

6 Likes

Itā€™s not rude if itā€™s the truth of my personal experience. Wish it wasnā€™t, unfortunately it has been.

You got it ;). South Beach

2 Likes

As an Australian hosting in Ireland, my US guests are the best and worst guest experiences i have had. Most are friendly and lovely, but i had the guest from hell this year who got lost for 90 mins? In a tiny town and blamed me when she had no phone. 50 year old from PE. She was without a doubt the worst experience of my whole working life. So entitled. I had them cancelled as she tried to insinuate that the heating was off when her husband had a huge domestic and yelled at her for being a b#tch. My best friend is from the US so I am not someone who normally generalises but there are a lot of guests coming to Ireland from there who just expect everything including address formats to be like home, now I put it into the listing details to please follow directions or call as I am not a mind reader.

1 Like

I had a wonderful message exchange yesterday with an American 1st grade teacher & her mother ( mother & daughter on vacay together is also another huge warning sign in my experienceā€¦ but that another topic for the peanut gallery to take offense to) - telling me ā€œwe see your calendar is clear for the next two days, so weā€™ll be checking out after 11am as weā€™ll be attending brunch in the morningā€. My check out time is 10, and I told her there was no possibility of a late check out without paying a $25 late check out fee & having the maid consent to changing her schedule. When I reminder her of this, she replied - ā€œIā€™m not paying an arbitrary $25 fee. Next time iā€™ll be staying in an apartment we stayed previously with a host who was more accommodating.ā€ This is exactly the entitled bullshit I deal with from Americans all the time.

1 Like

There is a woman staying in my town going from Airbnb to Airbnb. Despite multiple reviews complaining about her, other hosts are still getting thumbs up and good reviews. I cancelled her IB with me and blocked her after seeing her reviews. Sheā€™s already stayed with at least 25 different hosts in town over the last 2-3 months but there are several hundred more to go.

Thereā€™s always a more accomodating host.

How do you block someone?

I feel like I post this every other day. (sorry, not mad at you, just wondering how I can get this information out more effectively)

You go to report under their profile. You can do this after they have stayed, contacted you, inquired or instant booked. Click ā€œreportā€ and then for reasons click ā€œsomething else.ā€ Then it will give you the option to block them. Note: There have been times when it didnā€™t give me this option. I had to wait and try again later. Also if you change your mind for any reason you can unblock later. I did this for a guy who stayed and then complained about his review and I didnā€™t want to talk to him anymore. I also did it after I cancelled an IB. The woman is hanging around town and I donā€™t want her to try booking with me again. I also done it to a woman who has stayed here 4 times and I donā€™t want to host her again.

Thank you, I knew about reporting, which Iā€™ve done but never saw a way to block a user. Sorry for repeating this question but I got all :laughing:

1 Like

I think you only get the option if you click ā€œsomething else.ā€ And I can understand wanting to be careful what you click in case you canā€™t go back.

@KKC - If you are asked how to block a user all the time, you could create a template phrase and paste it at the bottom of your posts whenever you mention ā€œblockingā€ someone. For instance:

How to block unwanted contact = Go to the userā€™s profile and click on ā€œReportā€ under the photo. Select a reason from the dropdown menu or click ā€œsomething elseā€. It will give you the option to ā€œblockā€ that user from contacting you. If that option does not appear, try again later. It is also possible to unblock a previously applied block.

[Just sitting in my hotel room with a lot of time on my hands.]

I know, or keep typing it out. That may be faster than finding where I have it pasted. Then they will change it and people will try what I advised and then come back and tell me that it didnā€™t work and then Iā€™ll go look for myself and see if I can find the new location and then Iā€™ll come back and ā€¦

Anyway. I, too, have too much time on my hands at times.

1 Like

I so promise not to tell it didnā€™t work dear kind karmašŸ˜‡

LOL. I need to know if it doesnā€™t work as I use it too.

Lovely lady!?! I think that the main issue is partly cultural, in the US a generation grew up hearing that the customer is always right. They expect service because of the tip culture also. I hear so many complaints here in Ireland from businesses that find that generation of tourist pushy and loud. The Irish will not complain readily even if something is wrong, but they will give it mileage after to whoever will listen! In Australia, we donā€™t really have a tip culture outside restaurants, pay for workers is better and ultimately we donā€™t like anyone who is rude, even if they are a customer. It is called the tall poppy syndrome, donā€™t get too full of yourself and you will be treated fine. My young visitors from the US are a dream, they follow instructions, are so appreciative and friendly to boot. It is a shame I canā€™t market to the 18-35 exclusively I think to myself at times!

1 Like