Host that needs better photos

I’m a serious host with multiple units and hoping to add multiple more. I’m looking to invest (on a budget) in a camera and flash so that I can take my own pictures and have them be as “professional” as possible. Any suggestions??

Please use the search facility on this site. There are many topics that relate to photography.

Thank you Jaquo first day using the forum or any forum

1 Like

If you’re using your laptop, just look at the top right hand side of the screen. You’ll see a magnifying glass icon. Just click that and type in your search query.

The consensus among my photography friends is that for real estate photos you’ll want a DSLR, a wide lens, and decent photo editing skills. These things will set you back about $600, though. You can probably scrimp by using an iPhone, and I whole-heartedly recommend PicMonkey–free online photo editing.

I’d consider shelling out $100 for professionally done real estate photos, though. It’s the route I went–they look great and nobody’s ever said the house doesn’t look like the photos.

I took my photos with my iPhone 6S Plus and ran them through Photoshop Elements to lighten them up a little. I think they came out pretty good. I actually own a decent DSLR but using my phone was a lot faster and easier.

3 Likes

What a lovely place to stay.

@ChristianZalez,

Your place is so nice!

The thing I’m seeing with your photos is lighting issues. I don’t know if this is even possible in Beverly Hills, but you’d end up with better results if you could reshoot your photos on an overcast day, and be sure to turn on every single light you have. If an overcast day isn’t an option, then perhaps very early in the morning, before the sun is high and bright in the sky. What you’re trying to achieve is a little less contrast between the outside lighting and the inside lighting.

From there, perhaps you can use that online photo editor that another forum member mentioned. For my pictures, first, I dial down the contrast a little and then dial up the brightness.

Hope this helps, but if you have specific questions I’m happy to answer/help if I can.

2 Likes

I’m a professional freelance photographer. I’d be happy to talk details and specifics about real estate photography with you.

In general though, to echo what others have said, a DSLR and wide-angle is very important. It helps to have a tripod so that you can avoid handheld shake. A flash or two is very helpful but can also be very expensive. If you have a well lit space you wouldn’t need artificial light, just open up the windows and turn on the lights. It’s more of a natural and honest feel than artificial light. My Airbnb is a dingy basement, so I used flashes to lighten everything. You can pick up inexpensive flashes on Amazon called Yongnuo… exactly which Yongnuo light setup you need depends on the camera you get though.

Most people use less sophisticated setups, even phone, and that seems to work well enough. It’s in my opinion though that excellent photography can make your place much more appealing.