Host protection insurance/ guarantee

Based on a recent experience with Airbnb’s “trust and safety” team, I would say you should basically ignore Airbnb’s host protection insurance and host guarantee. They are basically non-existent, when you need it. Trying even to LEARN HOW to submit a claim for the host protection insurance has been fruitless, with no information on the website (told to contact CS) who then don’t know anything and say look on the website.

It appears that the insurance/guarantee don’t really get honored unless your case makes noise in the news or on social media.

Above points about making a claim via resolution center and in the meantime guests can leave negative feedback is also a concern.

This wasn’t helpful?

I was referring to the Host Protection Insurance, which is a different program. There is little in the way of specifics on that program on the website, and just to find out how to submit a claim you have to contact Airbnb, who then say they don’t know anything about it. Plus, based on my conversations with Airbnb, it definitely feels like Air sides with guests much more than supporting hosts with respect to the host guarantee.

I would basically caution new Air hosts to operate as if the Airbnb “guarantee” and “protection insurance” do not exist. If they come through, that’s a bonus, but do not rely on it.

I see. I wholeheartedly agree.

I am going with Proper or CBIZ as then I can drop my regular homeowners insurance policy, which does not all short term rentals.

With proper, they cover everything, including liability when on the boat we offer for use & our bicycles.

Like one of the other hosts said…it is not inexpensive, although you are able to set it up in a couple of different ways. It you want it only when you are hosting, they can do that as well as do it as a full time hosting situation.

I would also be interested to know if anyone has ever filed a claim against their short term rental insurance company & if so, how it went.