Host bloopers, mishaps and fails

My house design is that the upstairs consists of two bedrooms, mine and the guest room, with a bathroom in between the rooms and a door on each end leading into each bedroom. When I have a guest, it becomes their private bathroom and I use the downstairs one. There are standard bathroom door knobs- locked from the bathroom side and openable with a pin from the bedroom sides. I make sure to lock that door from the guest side to my room, because I could just picture myself stumbling into the bathroom in the middle of the night or bleary-eyed first thing in the morning, totally forgetting I had a guest.

3 Likes

One couple booked and the person who paid had a couple on her profile picture. I asked for the name of the second one and they had a same surname. I didn’t suspect anything when they arrived, just that they seemed with an awful big age difference.
Until he stated, during the conversation, that they are FATHER and DAUGHTER. Why I’m calling it a blooper, is that I never asked for their relationship. I have a pretty narrow sofa bed only, 120 cm wide and I really don’t feel comfortable thinking that grownup father and daughter shared a bed in my apartment.
One more thing to ask next time.

2 Likes

My worst mishap was to send a greeting message to a guest for a new booking and I used the the name of the guest that booked about and hour before. I just said “sorry, I’m still learning the messaging system”.

My wife once saw that the guests’ vehicles were not in front of the house on checkout day about an hour before checkout, so she went over to start the laundry. She put her key in the door and started to turn the lock but she was also looking through the small window next to the front door and saw luggage inside, so the pulled out her key and tiptoed back to our house. The guests’ vehicles were back about 10 minutes later. We assume there were still one or more guests in the house while the others went out for breakfast or to put fuel in the vehicles or something.

Fairly boring, and I want to keep it that way. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

My worst mishap: not renewing my short-term rental registration by the December 31 deadline. I showed up on January 2, assuming I could beg forgiveness (we’d had a big snow storm Monday, and I wasn’t able to get out on Tuesday), but no. No late fee, no possibility of reprieve…me and my renewal paperwork were sent to the back of the 75+ person line to wait for someone else (well, many someones) to let their registration lapse. Likely not going to happen in 2020.

Yup, I am officially out of business here. I always knew it could disappear at any moment, but never thought I would shoot myself in the foot like this. Hella mistake.

1 Like

papa smurf?

RR

1 Like

@CeeBee, what a gigantic drag. Sorry to hear it.

1 Like

I’m going to re-post an old one of mine…

I allowed a couple to drop off their bags early before the room was ready. They were very grateful. Took the keys and went off to explore the city. It was a particularly hot day so, after they left, I stripped down to my underwear, put my ipod on and started ironing the bedlinen.

Yeah… guests came back because they forgot something. Found me jiggling my skinny arse and singing very loudly and tunelessly to Florence And The Machine.
:flushed:

14 Likes

Only X number of permits are allowed in your area? With the hate for STR in many areas, I can see late renewals being cause for a non-renewal. That’s the consensus in my area.

1 Like

CEE BEE - Yup, I am officially out of business here…

I’m really sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will be able to renew your registration asap.

1 Like

Yes, they’re capped at 400.

For better or worse, that ship has sailed. I’m considering several options, but most likely will switch to renting to travel nurses/other short-term professionals through FurnishedFinder.com and the like.

3 Likes

:grin: We had to change our towels for the same reason, they were dark blue too.

1 Like

I liked your post in sympathy. That’s not very like-able news! The travel nurse market sounds like a good backup option. Do you have to rent for more than 30 days, then?

My town changed their regulations last year with similar risky deadlines. Current permitted STR’s re-apply in October. If we fail to apply, our “spot” becomes available to other applicants in Nov & Dec. A STR isn’t allowed within 1,000 feet of another, so having a permit essentially gives a monopoly on a 2-block section of our small downtown. Oct 1 is becoming an important date in my calendar!!

I hope your alternative plans work out well for you!

1 Like

Travel nurses that we’ve rented to usually have 13-week contracts. We don’t do that through Airbnb. We use a separate short-term lease.

We fortunate not to have any local/state regulations to comply with, other than the requirement to have a general business license and the need for a lease beyond 30 days. Where we live, a business license is a one-time purchase. We’ve had that license for 13 years.

Understood. :slight_smile:

Yes, STR only applies to rentals of less than 30 days here. Technically, I can continue to list on Air/vrbo with a 30-day minimum, and may continue to do so as my reviews/reputation there are worth something. As my city has contracted with Host Compliance to monitor compliance and the daily fine is $100, it’s not worth it to me to take a chance on listing on those websites for shorter stays without the required permits.

Initially, I was devastated (understatement!), but upon reflection, I came to realize how much stress it has been for me to do STR. I will be so glad that I won’t have to rely on Air’s reviews (always wondering if the guest “gets” the star rating system, are they acting entitled or taking out some minor frustration on me, etc.). The great benefit to mutual reviews on FF is that traveling professionals need to “prove” themselves to potential landlords as much - sometimes more - as I need to prove myself to them.

5 Likes

Oh, CeeBee, I am sorry to hear this! I’m glad you have such a good attitude about it - keep us updated on how well you do now that you are free from the chains of Airbnb’s reviews.

1 Like

We let a room in our home and the guest has their own private bathroom adjacent to their room. We were in the kitchen and kept hearing loud banging, assuming our neighbour was doing some work.
It carried on & then we realised it was coming from the guest bathroom.
The lock had broken on the inside and there was no way we could open the door from the outside.
Our poor guest had forgotten to take towels in with him so only had a small hand towel in there.
The only means of escape was for him to climb up on the bath and climb out of the window (thank goodness it was ground floor)
The poor man streaked past my kitchen window while I did my best to keep looking down, streaked through our kitchen where our grandchildren were having breakfast, but he was laughing as he did do.
He had stayed with us before and as mortified as I was, he saw the funny side of it and pre-booked the following month!

4 Likes

Hi everyone - long time no see. Just stopping by to provide a brief update on my situation here in Maine.

As you may recall, I failed to renew my STR permit in December, and have gone back to being a landlord. While it was devastating at the time, it turned out to be a really good thing when Covid-19 happened and reservations were canceled en masse. Short term rentals were banned entirely for nearly a month, and when they were allowed to resume, guests were required to quarantine for a minimum of 14 days. I was fortunate to sign a lovely month-to-month tenant who has been renting the furnished unit for almost seven months now, and will likely be here through October.

Yesterday, however, I received a “notice of violation and order to correct” letter from the city. The letter states, “it appears your property is being used as a short-term rental and is not registered with the City…you must immediately stop using your property as a short-term rental, must cancel all future bookings, and must remove any short-term rental listings” within 14 days. Included was date/timestamped screenshot of my listing, presumably taken using the Host Compliance software they have been using since last year, and threatens me with unspecified penalties (“in the minimum amount of $100 per day”).

I have no intention of taking down my listing, of course, as I am not advertising short term stays. Heck, prospective ABB guests can’t even access the listing (since the calendar is blocked, it doesn’t show up when specific dates are searched). And my calendar has been blocked and Instant Book turned off since early January, when I lost my permit. (I had a brief panic attack when I received notification of an IB reservation following a glitchy software update several months ago, lol.) It’s clear that the notice was auto-generated by HC and not reviewed by anyone in the Housing Safety office, as the first sentence in my listing states: “NOTE: I am only accepting rentals of 30+ days at this time.” :roll_eyes:

I emailed the city and let them know that I am not in violation of the STR ordinance, but they’re still hung up on the fact that the listing shows a nightly rate (so…?) and used to have a minimum 1-2 night stay (which proves…what, exactly?). I have asked them to provide me with specific instances of violations if they are aware of any, otherwise I consider the matter closed. I can’t imagine they will pursue this any further, but I kind of wish they would - it will be amusing as all get out to see them try to prove their case based on Host Compliance alone.

They have way too much time on their hands if they are scouring the 'net looking for stuff like this with your tax dollars.

Time for a petition to overturn that law and vote out the current board. It’s ridiculous. It is your property. You pay the mortgage and taxes not them.

They aren’t spending any time on it and the software probably pays for itself inn short order. However, when people have to challenge warnings given in error, now it takes time.

1 Like