Host and Grandchild

I got dinged in location because my house is in a residential neighborhood…

1 Like

It’s a ridiculous category :frowning:

Well, your own kids just tune out what mom has to say.

I remember a conversation with my youngest when she was about 15-16. I started to say something to her, and she right away said, " Yeah, yeah, Mom, I already know what you’re going to say, you don’t have to tell me that".

I said, “Oh, what, then?”

“What do you mean?”

“What you think I was going to say.”

She told me what she thought I was going to say, and I informed her that that wasn’t even close to what was on my mind.

2 Likes

LOL! My 3rd loved to do that in HS. Tell me what I was going to say…with near zero accuracy I might add :roll_eyes:.

On the embarrassing flip side, my mom would say,”Talking to you is like talking to a wall!” And she wasn’t wrong. Once I’d reached my VERY low threshold for whatever the lecture was I’d literally strain my eye muscles to cause her face to be blurry & just stare blankly at her. And all I heard was Charlie Brown style “Wah, wah, wah wah wah”.

Oh my, goodness! Even typing that “out loud” makes me cringe so badly. It’s no wonder that poor woman didn’t throttle me daily! :sweat_smile:

Yep! My husband and son are both guilty of this!

That’s really funny.

A few times I did something totally out of character and shocking when I’d had it with talking to them with no response.

One time I called the 3 of them down for dinner, they sat down at the table and were bickering with each other. I was dishing up the food over on the kitchen counter, told them to please stop the fighting, that I’d spent an hour making us a nice dinner and they should show some appreciation.

I carried the food to the table and they were continuing to argue with each other, so with zero forethought, just a gut reaction, I used both my arms and literally swept everything off the table onto their laps and the floor and walked away.

There was a stunned silence, then they got up, scraped the food off the floor onto their plates, and ate their dinner without another word.

2 Likes

Oh my, goodness! They’ll be telling your great grandchildren that story!

I rent out an entire apartment in the inner city on the 3rd floor. In over two years of hosting I have had about 3 complaints about city noise making it hard for people to sleep. Nearly every time somebody makes a comment about my location it’s about how convenient it is with two city supermarkets within 5 minutes walk, right in the middle of downtown and all the department stores etc and restaurants everywhere. I can’t imagine putting in an advisory that says, note due to the inner city location, there will be street noise. I have thought about putting ear plugs in the bathroom but it hardly seems worth it.

1 Like

I do provide earplugs for guests, even though I live in a quiet countryside area. But here in Mexico, they love to party and the louder the better, so an event 2 kms away can often be heard loud and clear at y place because the amps are turned up to ear splitting decibel levels, and these events often go in until 4am.

Of course it’s ridiculous that you should have to mention the noise factor when people are booking a place in the heart of a city, but I still think you should do so, since guests complain so cluelessly.

Just say something like, “This listing is in the heart of a vibrant city, with restaurants, shops, bars, etc, just a few minutes walk from your door. Of course, the location means that you will hear normal city sounds in the apartment- traffic, the occasional siren, people walking down the street talking loudly after an evening out. Earplugs are provided for guests who are sensitive to noise, or bring your own.”

1 Like

I like it :slight_smile: I will have to see if I can fit this text into the allowed space

Maybe you can fit it into the “Other things to note” section.