HOA Violation LETTER

Take a second and just read this topic and what @DestinationCO already has posted.

@ShelleyTX I’m sure that you would agree that reading the terms of the Home Owners association BEFORE making a large investment is the prudent thing to do. Some might say it would be “foolish”not to do so. Some, maybe those from England, like @jaquo, might say “daft”. Let’s stop making an issue out of nothing.

3 Likes

I know what folks from Scotland would say, and it certainly isn’t “daft”.

But I won’t.

:slight_smile:

JF

2 Likes

Then you better watch what you say. Lol.

2 Likes

If daft is the worst thing anyone ever calls me, I think I could live with that.

5 Likes

You need to have gold or silver shiny wings, unlimited patience , a willingness to give of your time for free and have posters regularly deride and insult you and an interest in a decent red/cocktail @Grendel

6 Likes

Hi, you should look in the definitions section of the HOA rules and understand the definition of “single-family residential use”. If there is no definition then generally you would go to Black’s law dictionary for a definition. But they don’t have one either. I am not a lawyer but have fought our township on a similar manner. You can tell them that renting your condo is a single family residential use and start renting again. The problem you will have is that they will threaten a lawsuit and as mentioned they can amend the HOA rules to be more specific for short term sub letting. Good luck.
Curt Peterson

I wouldn’t want to “get around” it and be the only STR in a place that doesn’t want/allow them.

2 Likes

CCRs Article V, Section 1. " an apartment shall be used, improved and devoted exclusively to single-family residential use. No gainful occupation, profession, trade or other non-residential use shall be conducted on any such property. "

Looks like an older document. Pre-internet? I wonder how many others have been working from home the past few weeks/months.

I’m surprised they didn’t cite a prohibition on short-term rentals. Rentals of under 90 days in my state are typically forbidden in HOAs and condos. I believe it can change their corporate not-for-profit status. Some get around it by issuing “guest passes”.

If all they have cited is what you have shared here and you want to look into it further, it would be worth having an association attorney review the docs and the notice that you received. Lots of old governing document have no teeth when it comes to pushing this and an association will back down quickly if they have been bluffing and now have to put their money where their mouth is.

But even if you prevail, having a bunch of angry HOA commandos giving arriving guests the stink eye can be a problem.

1 Like

Thank you for mentioning this. I think that phrase is in my HOA rules too. The original intent was so the owner didn’t run an unlicensed daycare or have a hair salon in the basement of the condo. Times have changed!

1 Like