HOA Overreach Dilemma

Another new poster who didn’t reply to a single post. I suppose he/she just went “oops,” and decided not to return after our scolding for not reading the docs first.

2 Likes

As a matter of face, there is just such a house about 3 miles from where I live. They painted their house like that because they were so pissed off that a developer bought the land behind them and created a subdivision.

Ugh. And the idea is that the developer won’t be able to sell the property adjacent to the striped house at full price? I’d buy a house near a rainbow.

One thing about my neighborhood…it wasn’t very nice when I moved in and it still isn’t so I have nothing to be disappointed about. A short distance from me a hospital keeps expanding it’s footprint. They have bought dozens of houses in the adjacent streets over the year and also put in a helipad. I’m far enough away to not be in danger of them buying anything that would impact me but I’d be so annoyed if I thought I’d bought in a neighborhood and then I was next to a commercial development of any kind. That’s why I never considered a new build.

1 Like

Too bad, maybe one day they could buy your house for more than its worth…

RR

1 Like

Well, I hope to be rolled out of here on a gurney with a sheet over my face. No interest in selling, ever. But who knows, Mother Nature and the GOP might have other plans.

1 Like

So if the hospital decided to expand, and your house was right in the middle of the new parking lot plans and you could make twice what it’s worth, by another house cash and put 150K in the bank you would say no?

Never say never…

RR

1 Like

Well sure one can always draw up a fantasy scenario where one would have to say yes. However that scenario would have to include a number of variables that aren’t that simple. First, assumption of purchase at 2x worth. But let’s assume that’s valid. Now I need to find a home for $150k that has all the advantages this one has.
1.Close to the freeway for Airbnb and dog client drop off.
2. Single story with single story homes two houses over on each side. I’m on a ridge with a drop off behind me so I not only have a bit of a view of the valley below, I have no back neighbors looking into my property or over my fence. I’ve looked around over the years for similarly situated properties near me. Such geographically situated homes are typically sold for 2x what mine is worth but maybe I could find one for sale closer to my price range. I give that a 5% chance.
3. Once I find the perfect location with privacy I need to consider if I’m going to continue my in home businesses. If I really can pocket $150k then maybe I don’t need to do those things anymore. But without those things to keep me busy I’m probably going to spend a lot more money. If I’m going to keep doing those things I’d guess I need about $30k to remodel to get the same pet friendly and guest friendly set up I have here.
4. Now what about the other remodeling I need to do to have the house set up just the way I want? $30k?

It could be fun looking for a different house and doing all that remodeling but when it was over I don’t think I’d be pocketing $150k. Would it still be worth it for a lot less if the home I moved to was perfect? Yes.

Jodie Foster could decide she wants to marry me too.

4 Likes

I have to admit though that I’m getting a bit fed up of this forum being seen as a place to join, get some free advice then disappear never to be seen again without contributing to the community or this knowledge base at all.

I truly don’t understand why people do that. Although I suppose it’s a sign of the times. It’s so much easier to sign up here and expect tea and sympathy rather that actually speaking to a guest, a neighbour or whoever is causing the problem or actually read the TOS, other topics here or other documents.

Regarding the ‘scolding’, we have to remember the people who read here. If our answer to everyone with a problem was ‘poor you, so sorry that happened to you’ then that’s not much good to anyone is it?

Most of us who post here (with the intention of helping others, truly) are very busy with hosting and, in some cases, additional jobs, families, lives… but we take the time to try our best and often get slammed for it.

Grump over.

13 Likes

Years ago friends owned a nice, modest home with about 5 acres of land, surrounded on 3 sides by a large farm. A law firm offered market price to purchase their house & land. Negotiations began. The property was strategically positioned for road access for a new shopping development.

I don’t know how much they received (none of my business) but it was enough for them to purchase a larger parcel of land with a horse barn and build a not too big but very nicely featured beautiful home.

It can happen (not to me but I’m glad they benefited)

3 Likes

Fixed that for yah :wink:

Agree 100%, but it is just the way online forum are these days. I’m one of these mature folks who has seen the progression from BBS’s to forums (or fora?) and then on to the social media we have now. Do I think it is progress? I actually don’t, sometimes old school worked better (solely from my perspective) than what we have now.

Just deleted the rest of my rant :smile:

JF

4 Likes

I deleted half of mine, believe it or not :slight_smile:

Gin works well too. I think that it’s probably the sign of a really experienced host (read ‘old’) when you’ve progressed from wine to the harder stuff. :rofl:

Gin does work well, sometimes too well!

However, when out and about here, the measures are such that it can be a dangerous occupation “just popping out for a quick gin”.

:slight_smile:

JF

1 Like

Do the admin privileges on this forum have a setting that requires new members to reply to X amount of posts or be a member X amount of days before creating a new thread?

1 Like

No. There are certain restrictions but that’s not one of them. I imagine this could be because the owners of the site thought that people should be able to join and ask a question that’s an urgent problem so that they can get responses straight away?

Or perhaps the setting simply isn’t available. I’m not sure but I’ll look into it :slight_smile:

1 Like

If it’s not a native (to Discourse) setting, then there’s probably a plug in or modification available. Unfortunately I’ve never set up Discourse personally so no real idea :slight_smile:

JF

There are plugins for just about everything, I think :slight_smile:

Forum modification is pretty easy too (well, it used to be) but we humble admins don’t have the authority or the access to tinker under the hood.

Sadly, I think that the problem is human nature. (Human nature these days, I’m going to say, being a Mid-Century Modern model myself). Many people would rather post on a forum than actually come face to face with their guests when there’s a problem. And when we older 'uns give them our advice (rather than wringing our hands and saying ‘poor you let me give you a hug’) the OP either argues that we’re wrong or goes away because we weren’t ‘supportive’ and ‘caring’.

I’m just an old grump, though. :wink:

4 Likes

And I’m just an “older” grump. People of any age can be grumps, I don’t want to stererotype.:wink:

In defense of some posters, I believe they are surprised at the speed and volume of replies. In some forums one will post and get few replies and it might take days.

One setting we do have is a limited number of posts in the first 24 hours so if someone replies multiple times they could get locked out of their own thread. Some people have even created a second account so they could keep replying which isn’t great and can be quite confusing.

2 Likes