Hi from a Newby, and request for opinions

If it’s a home share just do your own linens/towels.

I’m a UK homeshare host and I factor in a fortnightly clean for guest rooms and weekly linen towel/change which guests do themselves . And give me the used linens/towels to wash .

Do have a look at the Airbnb Help website to help you understand how hosting through Airbnb works . It has useful FAQs on the basics including how their deposits work.

Not everyone lives in the US @Jefferson . This is a London host :grin:

Yes, I have had, and of course doing their laundry isn’t part of the deal. But if they were using my sheets, and I noticed they never washed them, I would make sure they did. And I’d get rid of a filthy lodger if they didn’t change their ways.

I certainly wasn’t implying that you were gross, but that this lodger was. And yes, of course he should be charged for what he’s ruined. If you had a mattress cover on there, he would have ruined that, which albeit is less expensive, but nonetheless he would have had to pay for something.

Thanks for clarifying! Yes I could have been stricter with him about his room and will certainly be so if I notice a guest living like this again. It’s one of the reasons I’m switching to Airbnb.

It’s just are you sure I’m not responsible because I didn’t put a mattress cover? Because I’m thinking they may say that?

I don’t quite understand. I thought this was a lodger, not an Airbnb guest?

Are you just asking a hypothetical question as to how Airbnb would respond had it been a guest?

No one can tell you that. It depends on what CS rep you happen to be lucky or unlucky enough to have dealing with a case.

1 Like

This is a lodger. It’s not a hypothetical. I was using the term guest to refer to my lodger

You asked,

I guess I read that wrong. I thought by, “they”, rather than “he”, you meant Airbnb.

What does it matter what he says? He wrecked the mattress, he’s responsible for it. And considering he slept on the same sheets for 6 months, I kind of doubt he even thinks about things like mattress pads.

1 Like

Some hosts are saying that you should do a weekly linens change but I think that’s terribly impractical. We have long term guests/lodgers/tenants most often for 2-6 months and I can’t fathom the idea that I would do any laundry for them or routinely give them fresh linens. That doesn’t make sense for someone who is there for more than 3 weeks.

They get 1 or 2 sets of linens and towels and they are responsible for laundering them. I just include the price of them in the rent. I don’t expect to get a single towel or sheet back that would be reusable, I just make sure that I’m compensated for them in the rent. And it’s much less work and better compensation than routinely giving them fresh linens.

Sheets, towels and pillowcases are paid for by the rent. I just make sure that I’m fully compensated by the price of the rent. But mattress pads, pillows, duvets and duvet covers are expected to be unmarred and are deducted from the security deposit if they are damaged.

As far as cleanliness, I have strict expectations laid-out in the lease agreement/contract. We go in about a month after they’ve moved in and check the conditions. If there are any issues they are given 72 hours to correct them and another inspection. Anyone who fails the first inspection gets another one every 1-2 months, otherwise we just go in for scheduled smoke/CO detector maintenance and have a quick glance at that time.

So you should be inspecting for cleanliness. You don’t have to do a linen change to inspect for cleanliness, you can just go in (with the proper notice) and inspect. There’s no reason to spend your valuable time or valuable fresh linens on your long term guests but you should go in and inspect for cleanliness. And you should have a mattress encasement as well as a mattress pad, both of which in addition to an inspection (and contractural obligation for cleanliness) would’ve minimized your damage.

The couple little places I managed for friends who had long-term tenants, the tenants had to provide their own towels and bedding. They didn’t start out that way, but after finding everything fit for the rag bag, the expectations changed.

I think the people saying I should change sheets either don’t understand about long term Lodgers, or they have missed that part of the message.They just wouldn’t have their sheets changed for them in any home.
Yes I’m aware I should have had a protector. This is the reason for my post. I’m trying to find out if others think that my failure to provide a mattress protector should mean no deposit back. Would you be able to share your thoughts on this? Yay or nay?!

I like your idea about inspections and should I go back to lodgers will implement this. Thanks

Yes this is why we collect deposits

1 Like

Although it would save you some trouble if you had a protector it is not relevant as to whether or not there is damage. If the mattress is damaged then you take it out of the deposit. Even though you didn’t have a protector on it. Charge for it.

1 Like

Me either. My margin is so low on off-season >30 night rentals, I wouldn’t break even and certainly wouldn’t have any positive revenue.

Currently my usually STR condo is rented for 6 months. I’m not the renters mother or wife. I’m treating like my >year rentals with a walkthrough every few months to check/change the HVAC filter & make sure the toilets are working properly. I’m looking for “is the place generally well kept and not appealing to vermin”

To check bedding feels intrusive. This rental is their home.

We get a deposit to cover the cost of damages.

Btw I supply multiple sets of un-ironed sheets. I think if I even picked up an iron my beloved mother would immediately blurt an obscenity of disbelief and possibly get kicked out of the good place.

1 Like

Interesting. Two of my furnished condo LTRs, the guests showed up with towels & bedding. This must be a thing & I missed it.

Ok, so as a LANDLORD, we hope that you comply with UK regulations? The landlord tenancy deposit scheme – a guide for landlords
If you are not in compliance, I have no idea what LEGALLY you are allowed to do with keeping or giving back against damages. It seems that you have some reading ahead of you?
Your tenant (lodger) does not sound sophisticated. So, you may well be able to charge them some damages, even if you have not properly dealt with their deposit. But if you go that way, at least be informed and aware of what fines might be involved.

If I were going rent a place long term as a tenant, it would never occur to me that the landlord would provide me with bedding and towels or even cookware and dishes. “Fully furnished”, to me, and as most people I know understand it, refers to furniture and appliances, not items for my personal use.

I certainly didn’t provide any of that stuff to tenants on one year leases at my Canadian house, nor did any of the tenants expect it.

1 Like

Isn’t a lodger like what most people I know in the US call a roommate, not a tenant?

1 Like

At first I assumed “lodger” was merely Brit for tenant but it seems that it is actually a different thing. In the US, it generally is not the case after 30 days.
@Bosty64 - please just read up and cover your butt. I assume there is some written agreement? Good luck!

https://www.spareroom.co.uk/content/info-landlords/whats-the-difference-between-a-tenant-and-a-lodger/

That is how I would understand it. Although depending on the jurisdiction, a lodger or roommate might be considered a tenant as far as landlord/tenant laws go.

I had a guest from British Columbia who told me about a “professional tenant” (meaning those who know the landlord/tenant laws inside out and use them to their scamming advantage) she had rented a room in her home to, who stopped paying the rent and it took months to get her out because of the laws.

I think you missed an earlier reply to one of your posts where the OP says