Here we go again

You said this much more eloquently than my SOS comment. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I hate that it happened.

I will admit I donā€™t have much sympathy for people who booked vacations after April 2020 as non-refundable or strict cancellation because by then the pandemic was known.

Iā€™m facing losing a pre-paid vacation. In December 2019, I booked a Las Vegas vacation, to be completed in 2020 prepaid through Marriott & I was planning to use Air-miles to buy my plane tickets. Pandemic hit. Marriott offered postponement to 12/31/2021.

Iā€™m waiting but probably going to cancel my November reservationā€”losing the money is cheaper than a hospital bill or funeral

3 Likes

Iā€™m with you on this. I have the most flexible cancellation policy so covid cancellations are no more disruptive than any other, but damn, folks these days want everything to come with no strings. No responsibility, no obligations. Just ā€˜give me my money back!ā€™

5 Likes

The update. I donā€™t have words.

Same as when we tell folks here to tweet. We never know the whole story.

Everyone has to fly here to this popular summer tourist town, and Iā€™ve had very few business travelers, and only 2 repeaters, who can now book direct because theyā€™re great guests and are rewarded by not paying Airā€™s booking fees.

Iā€™ve never had business travelers ask for refunds. None of my other guests are repeaters, and if they cancel canā€™t leave reviews ā€” and I adhere to my Firm policy.

1 Like

If indeed it was non-refundable I wish they had not reversed their cancellation policy. Iā€™m tired of people booking during a pandemic but accepting no personal responsibility for their actions.

My summer has been very good but Iā€™ve had several cancellations due to Covid concerns or issues. Fortunately the empty days quickly rebooked but it was time & energy & some uncertainty on my part. I guess thatā€™s why itā€™s called work.

2 Likes

I would assume that Vacasa is in a much better financial position to give a refund in spite of the cancellation policy than you are :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

I got my first non-booking due to my covid statement in my listing yesterday.

k

This guest has zero reviews though a member since 2017 and doesnā€™t read or look at the pictures. So though the cause is vaccination, I feel that I didnā€™t lose out at all. My listing lede says ā€œpro vax hostā€ and that first paragraph says ā€œthis fully vaccinated host prefers vaccinated guests.ā€

I wondered if maybe he just went ahead and inquired so he could pointedly tell me he wasnā€™t booking because of the vaccine requirement. But I really donā€™t care, in fact I blocked off tonight to make sure he couldnā€™t come back and book anyway.

8 Likes

Iā€™m wondering if my statement about being fully vaxxed and loving guests that are too has stopped some bookings.
Right now Sept is wide open, but have gotten bookings for Oct and Nov. So far things havenā€™t been booked out that far.

No way of knowing for sure but in general, summer tourist season is over. My dog biz was insanely busy this summer but is back to normal now and into the fall. I donā€™t think people are booking well in advance due to watching to see what happens with the pandemic.

1 Like

This.

My rentals were rockinā€™ & rollinā€™ with advance bookings until 3 weeks ago. My September is booked then nothing. I expect some of those bookings to cancel.

BTW my area hospitals are reporting no ICU beds & non-critical care with only 6% availability. In other words 1 bad day could fill the remaining hospital beds to capacity.

1 Like

Yes, sets an expectation that people project onto us small biz owners.

Last cancellation I request I got (due to death of a friend) was hard to respond to, but I chose to refer them to my cancellation policy (the most lenient offered, they were pondering canceling the night before checkin); they decided to take the trip & were glad for it (healing it seemed; old college friends whoā€™d lost another old college friend & felt guilty about having fun right after a suicide). Interestingly, I got the distinct impression the guest wanted me to say no, kinda giving them permission to keep their trip sans guilt.

Anyway, Iā€™m a super softy but after my time on this forum Iā€™ve really come to see that how I run my business does impact my fellow hosts (like leaving reviews or not, leaving honest & detailed reviews, enforcing house rules, etc). I still bend a lot, wonā€™t lie, but I give much more thought to it now.

3 Likes

Me too. Iā€™m a big ole sap - and I know it so there!:sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I hoped they enjoyed a few sweet moments of levity and danced in the kitchen, Big Chill style. (Big Chill movie about college friends reconnecting at funeral of a friend who committed suicide)

1 Like

Yes, I hope so also.

And, whatā€™s with all the Glen Close bum w/o even a sprinkling of Kevin Klineā€™s thrown in. I mean, come on!

2 Likes

It was the 80ā€™sā€¦thatā€™s all Iā€™ve got.

1 Like