Help with Wording for New AirCon

Oh heck, we’re all getting older but hey, you’re not Santa so what are you doing on the roof?! I didn’t know whether you meant it will be your last swamp cooler or trip on the roof.

If the guy who installed my swamp cooler had created a vent through the roof or ceiling (as he did with neighboring homes), I would have been happier with the system. By the time I decided to get one, the HOA no longer allowed venting through the ceiling. Just my luck.

If its any consolation @Emily I didn’t know what an evaporative cooler was either, my excuse is its not hot and dry in Wales EVER.

4 Likes

We live in Colorado (a dry climate) where Evaporative coolers or swamp coolers are pretty common. They only drop the temperature about 10 degrees from ambient temp. And only work well if the relative humidity is below 50%… they really work best when they can draw in dry air from outside and push the ‘wet’ air out of the room/house. Otherwise the humidity rises above the optimal 50% and it loses it’s effectiveness. They’re a little more complicated that plugging in an air conditioner… unfortunately!

Lots of things: servicing the evaporative cooler, trimming the neighbor’s branches when they start to rub against my house, installing xmas decorations, sometimes even looking at the view. It’s not very pitched and it’s only one story so not much of a challenge right now. But I know some part of me could give out before the cooler. My last one was 17 years old.

If “air con” is common slang in your area, I would call it “an evaporative cooling air con”. Covers all bases. People from the Western US and other dry places will know what it is, and folks around you will know it cools the room.

2 Likes

Lol!!! My ex husband lives there and it’s only a small win but makes me so happy to know he’s out tending to his pigs and geese at 5am in the cold and wet.

1 Like

I would just keep it simple and call it an A/C unit. If you have Yanks from the US staying there they may not be able to understand what an aircon is. Of course brits or Aussies may not know what an A/C is…?
I don’t think most people care about the technical terminology or how the unit works specifically just whether or not it works to cool to room off at there in.
Your verbiage is good although a little bit Verbose. Don’t threaten to remove the unit from their room. You may want to say something more to the effect of we ask for respect and consideration in the use of this unit in regards the to our utility bill or we may be inclined to discontinue offering AC and just go back to room fans only. That way it’s very generalized.

1 Like

Agree with Mike. Last statement sounds too strong. Just charge enough that if they left it on while they were out that you would be justly compensated. Might want to consider a 5 E or $5 extra charge for the cooler like a host did for us on the Greek Isles last summer. Boy did we ever want to pay that 5E as it was 90F outside and way too warm inside. Regards, Curt

Well it seems this post is now redundant - lock it down Mods! On a brighter note when I searched ‘air conditioning’ threads- the funniest ones came up…are fans Air Con to which someone responded very robustly; guests who open windows, dropping units out the window; fights about temperature. Had me laughing in the tram to work.

In my case, Kmart contacted me to say I’ll get a refund in 5 Days as they are ‘out of stock’. What a shame they don’t even bother to call people when this happens, I’ll never shop there again due to their poor handling. Lucky Amazon launched today after 10 years of waiting!

What a shame I also called multiple Kmart stores to buy one originally only to be told they were ‘on hold’ with no deposit for 7 Days even though I am a customer ready to buy today and they have none on the floor to sell.

Bye bye Kmart, keeping my fans and my cash.

It’s off putting to read what you may threaten to do (go back to using room fans) if they don’t comply with your requests to conserve energy. A simple sign asking for help with energy conservation should suffice without insulting the guest.

1 Like

I have a long term renter at the moment, went to do the service and found the air con running full blast with no one home. Returned when I knew they would be home from work and informed them that i know what the power costs for the unit is and if I found the aircon running again, with no one home I would take the remote. The joys of a direct book with no power to review!
I HAVE THE POWER!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes