Help with refund decision on strict policy

I assumed this was a reservation from last year with the old policy. Hopefully @Robin will clarify.

2 Likes

Ignor them, your dealings with them have ended.
Cost of doing business. I am sorry, it sounds expensive to run your rental.
We live in a very remote location so I will give a full refund up to 24 hours before they arrive.
I live on the other side of the house and book all year. Check me out . I am in Canada.
Airbnb com/h/Michellesplace.ca
Good luck.

1 Like

Stand firm! These guests are beyond entitled and you should not feel uncomfortable about adhering to your clearly stated strict policy.

2 Likes

I can’t thank everyone enough for all the amazing advice I received. It was all truly enlightening and gave me confidence that I am doing the right thing here. Thank you for sharing your own similar experiences as well!

I have not been contacted further about this matter, neither by airbnb nor the guest, which is, I’m guessing, a good thing. I shall keep you posted should my peace be disturbed again!

4 Likes

So, I have an update for you all.

The guest just messaged me again saying he saw how we luckily managed to rebook all the dates corresponding to them and asking me if my offer to refund the rest of the money is still valid. He is wrong, however. We didn’t manage to rebook a single date. What he’s probably seeing is that the dates he had booked (starting today) are now blocked since we have a minimum stay of 6 days and a 7 day notice (which I temporarily switched to 3, just to be fair to him and give the dates a better chance at getting rebooked, even if that meant more last-minute hustling for us if they did).

I’m not sure how to prove to him that none of the dates got rebooked and that what he sees is just the dates being automatically blocked now in accordance to our advance notice and minimum stay rules. I’m not sure if I should even bother, to be honest. All opinions welcome, as always.

You don’t have to.

Cease communication and direct him to Airbnb. Then enjoy the rest of your summer.

JF

7 Likes

My advice is the same as it was a week ago:

Don’t reply to them.

3 Likes

As @JohnF & @KKC said, “don’t respond & let Airbnb handle it”.

However I would do a screen grab of the listing calendar, host view just as a precaution in case you need it.

I haven’t found a way to access back calendars.

2 Likes

Hmm, if you put the rebook offer on the Airbnb message platform, I would respond there to preempt their continued complaints to Airbnb and possible fallout for you.

“Your assumption is incorrect. The dates are showing as blocked in the public calendar view due to our minimum stay and advance notice requirements. Thank you and good luck with your future travels.”

5 Likes

I would do the same. Just a quick explanation which then indicates that the communication is now over.

It’s weird how guests assume that if dates are blocked it means they are booked. I block dates if friends or family are coming, if I go out of town, etc.

Another host on the CC even accused me of being duplicitous because I had posted about being closed for Covid, as I didn’t feel it worth the risk, just because I hadn’t snoozed my listing, but just blocked the dates instead. They thought I had them all booked or that the ones that were still open in the future meant I was open to bookings, when in fact, I just hadn’t gotten around to blocking future dates.

2 Likes

So the guest is stalking your booking and being a brat about the refund you do NOT owe him.

Tell him no. “Dear Pushy Idiot: The space is not booked and we are not offering any refund based on our strict policy. Please do not contact us again.”

Well, you can delete the pushy idiot part, I needed to vent. I want to smack that guest.

1 Like

Hosts posting here make the same mistake.

He is presumptuous and if it were me I wouldn’t like the implication that he thinks I’d be dishonest about it.

2 Likes

Exactly. Stalking the booking and assuming that the days are booked and basically calling her a liar. Obviously there is group pressure to get the money back and the person who booked is feeling the heat.

I’m wildly unsympathetic towards the guests and hope they can be flagged, blocked, and reported for harassment.

1 Like