Help with my listing?

Here’s the link. I feel like I’m too wordy and over mention things that matter to me/not necessarily others. I need professional pictures. But do these work in the interim? What else would you say/need/is missing?

Any comments/advice welcome (thanks in advance!)

The photos will work, but you could go back and re-shoot some of the dark ones using a flash. Yes you’re too wordy, need a bit of grammatical help, and mention things that can’t possibly matter to guests. That we can work on if you want. PM me if you like – I’ve got 30+ years experience as a technical writer.

2 Likes

I think you have a nice writing style that makes you come across as a friendly person. You do repeat things. One example is mentioning that the house was built by award winning architects as their own home. I would omit the initial mention, but leave the information in “The space”. If I were you, I would limit myself to one mention of the Balloon Festival.

I’ve learned that I can’t take linguistic shortcuts in the listing, messages or reviews as foreigners won’t understand. Here are examples from your listing.

“Live on the same property and can be as available for any troubleshooting- love meeting new people. But guest house is fully independent and private. Like to be there upon arrival, if possible, and then give space unless needed.”

If I were you I would put it in the house rules that you only accept pets with prior approval. Otherwise you will have guests who searched for pet friendly listings, but didn’t read the entire listing. If I were you, I would not permit guests to bring pets. You could have their dogs fighting with your dogs, killing your chickens, chasing the neighbors horses and goats. Also, not all dogs like children and you mention that you have a toddler.

My suggestions:

What is a casita? This does not translate internationally (I am Australian).

Listing says ‘recently updated with brand new appliances, furniture…’ (won’t let me copy paste so may not be exact). I would change that to ‘some brand new’ as not everything looks new and will avoid confusion.

Remember that on the app (that most people use) the bottom quarter of your pics get cut off unless you click on each one. See screen shots I’ve uploaded to show this. Take this into account when uploading so you have extra space at the bottom.

Looks lovely :blush: BTW

I didn’t know either (I’m British) - turns out it’s “a small house or other building, especially a wooden cabin”
I love this forum for moments such as these… :nerd_face:

Casa is “house”. Casita is the diminutive – “small house”

I would NOT say that “most people use the app”. Too hard to search for places to stay using that. I had it on my Nook Tablet and trashed it in favor of going to www.airbnb.com – it just does not give you the functionality of the website…

This is the sentence that I think really should be two:

When you’re ready to rejoin the world, you’re less than a half mile from two great local coffee places, Thai, Chinese, Italian and other great restaurants, 5 minutes from a movie theater, Albuquerque’s largest indoor mall, and just about any kind of shopping you want to do, and wonderfully situated for the balloon fiesta, which takes place about ten minutes up the road.

This bit “and wonderfully situated for the balloon fiesta, which takes place about ten minutes up the road.” makes that a run-on sentence. Since the balloon fiesta is such an important draw for this area, it could easily get its own sentence.

Here’s what I’d do with the run-on paragraph:

When you’re ready to rejoin the world, you’re less than a half mile from great coffeeshops as well as Thai, Chinese, Italian and other great restaurants,. You’re also 5 minutes from a movie theater and Albuquerque’s largest mall, with just about any kind of shopping you want.

In addition, our house is perfectly situated for the famous international balloon festival, which takes place about ten minutes up the road.

@candlemaker – send me a direct email: kenhulme at gmail dot com I’d be happy to help with your listing text.

Thanks, everyone, for all your help. These are great suggestions!