HELP with complying with the city bylaws

Hey guys,

I’m a host in Vancouver, BC and have been doing it for a year now. Vancouver passed a bylaw where hosts need to get a business license and are only allowed to rent to only two people. At the moment, I don’t have a business license and have been renting up to 8 people a night.

Today while my cleaner was in my townhouse, a city inspector came by to visit and had a chat with my cleaner. Basically, one of my neighbors reported me to the city and now they know that I’ve been renting an illegal suite. The inspector told my cleaner that I have to stop renting immediately and take off the listing off Airbnb. Also said that there are fines up to $2000/day if I continue.

I understand the rules and I will comply. The only problem I have is that I have guests staying tonight for two weeks and then back to back guests until the end of August. Also some in September.

Do I cancel on those guests? Can there be legal trouble from the guests? Any way to keep renting until end of August would be great.

If anyone has any input at all, I’d love to hear what my options are.

Thanks in advance.

Call Airbnb and explain the situation.

1 Like

Call Airbnb to cancel and rehouse your guests.
Until you are legal you don’t have any other opinions.

1 Like

Ask Airbnb for an extenuating circumstance to cancel.

Quit trying to have your cake and eat it too. You’re lucky you got away with it this long. Call Airbnb and they will help re-home the guests to another listing. I’m sure the neighbor isn’t interested in what you think would be great.

You’re right. I will call airbnb

They will cancel for you penalty free if you suddenly have something like this happen. It’s fairly common.

1 Like