Help! What now?!

I take your point, but as a homeshare host, I would like to be made aware if a guest is actively unfriendly. I’ve had homeshare guests who were not particularly sociable, and that’s fine, but they were perfectly pleasant when we crossed paths. Guests who are unfriendly, for whatever reason, are not suitable candidates for homeshare situations.

And as the OP noted above, the behavior was pretty evidently the guest’s displeasure with her, not just her normal personality, as it changed due to not being offered a refund after the fact.
A person can usually tell if someone they are sharing space with is mad at, or resentful of them personally, or just in a bad mood, or a generally unfriendly or unhappy person.

I wasn’t suggesting ignoring her attitude. Just to be careful of the words

Perhaps: “Although this guest was pleasant in pre-arrival communications, after her demand for a refund was refused, her attitude turned sour throughout her stay.”

She might be very nice to you @muddy, if there are no issues.

3 Likes

It is only fair to remember how this started when you said:

I have another guest arriving in approx forty mins. Again, when she booked there was no info on the listing re the building work…If this person wants to move/ a refund, I think I should allow it…I have failed to give her a Heads Up and feel bad about this

It’s not as if you didn’t see this coming. And you’ve since said,

So I think that’s most of your review:

So-and-so was a perfectly easy guest as we didn’t cross paths much and she was clean, quiet etc.

If you mention any scowling then you should also mention that it started when your guest was,

woken up on her first day, a Saturday, at 8am.

Because an honest review has to be honest.

2 Likes

Yes, but I wouldn’t want a guest who got sulky or scowly just because something that involved me didn’t go their way.
It’s easy for almost everyone to be nice when everything is fine. It’s how they respond when things aren’t fine that says the most about them.

1 Like

No JJD, you’ve pasted that from a different thread. That was the guest before the surly lady.

This lady was fully informed within five minutes of booking, with a full refund offered at that point. She looked around and came back to me saying she wanted to go ahead, and that If the noise was too bad she’d go to work in the office.

The next day was a Saturday and she asked for a refund within an hour of waking up (builders start at 8am). So that is all it took for her to want a refund, being woken up one time at 8am, and that the builders were working so close to her window (which she had also specifically been warned about)

1 Like

OK, how about: “Immediately after booking, so-and-so was informed of the potential for some noise during her stay but declined to cancel for a full refund. Although she was pleasant in her pre-arrival communications, her attitude turned unpleasant after her post-arrival demand for a refund for noise was declined."

2 Likes

Perfect! Wish I could write these!

Commenting on ‘attitude’ will get your review taken down.

Then maybe “her communications” instead of “her attitude”? Scowling is a form of communicating.

I would not comment on anything except what happened. Her attitude, how she said something, or even her facial expressions have no bearing. I get it - I too do not want guests who expect me to be ok with pissiness or imperiousness, with judgy or angry or short-temperedness, but reviewing a guest based on your interactions is a slippery slope - you may have ‘triggered’ this guest with a remark having nothing to do with the issue at hand, or perhaps you, too, scowl at times. But other hosts (who will read your review) do not need this information nor will airbnb be ok with your views on how a guest should respond or act.

Using this forum to ‘vent’ rather than writing that potentially damaging (to you) review is a safe way to let go of the anger. Write dispassionately.

@Rolf - I think you and @muddy should go head-to-head on whether the attitude is important. What’s most important to me as a whole-house host is that the guest declined the refund at time of booking but then tried again after arrival for the same issue.

2 Likes

Well, truly, it’s not been an easy task keeping up with your hosting-during-construction escapades :wink:

3 Likes