Help! New host with no bookings!

Type in google 203£ = $

Hi Philip… Yeh I think you are right about the cleaning cost especially as we have dropped our base rate. I am in the process of another bookings I once I have secured that then I will have another tweek. Is there an easy way to swap over currency to view how it would look as euros and US dollars ? Thanks

My experience as a new host 14 months ago was that because i did not know anything i put my price 30% lower than most listings which for me was still very good. ANd i got booked non stop since day 1. My pictures were really bad, upside down, and really dark.
I believe that price is the main issue. Also demand. Your house is really big, and i assume its priced accordingly. SO, really it needs quite a large family to occupy it.

3 Likes

But I believe the cleaning fee is calculated into the cost shown on the cover of the listing

If someone charges $100 a night and $12 cleaning fee, a person booking 1 night will see a price of $112, for two nights, $106, and for three nights, $104, right? So it isn’t really a surprise.

1 Like

When you have a larger house that can accommodate more people, I have found that offering individual beds is a real selling point and differentiator. This opens your place up to more than just couples - like, for example, business associates. I have a couple “iBeds” from Amazon that I use (and I add a topper from Ikea to make them super comfy). That also justifies the extra charges for more people.

Also, perhaps your base price should cover 4 people, rather than 2 to start with. And, depending on who your target is, you might consider being specific (above the fold where people can see it) about public transportation as it pertains to common tourist and/or business areas (“10 min to Oxford Circus via National Rail”, “20 min to Convention Center”) - whatever. That helps with SEO and helps people understand a less familiar area.

(How funny is that neighborhood description: “Quite polite and convivially chummy.”)

1 Like

That’s very true with separate beds. I have 4 bedrooms and 5 beds. Several times boat crew booked the house Ruth 5 people but the owner of the company who booked said if I had more separate beds than he would book me more often. But then what to do with families. Then they start to complain that it’s not matrimonial bed but 2 twins pushed together:)

1 Like

My personal opinion (for my target market) is that being a little less family-friendly is a good thing.

i know what you mean, families with kids mean a lot cooking, staying in more and more mess. My best guests were the boat crew people and referies that came for a game. They hardly knew each other. 5 guys , never cooked just drank lots of beer. They were very low key happy people who were amazed to have a pool in adition to lodging.

@Laderodent - beautiful house! My thoughts are: is your WiFi free and unlimited? This is a huge factor to most guests. I have an A4 information sheet in my AirBnB rooms and had to move the WiFi access details to the very top of it, in a bright red text box because it was almost always the first question my guests ask. So maybe clarify details around how much internet guests will have access to and whether or not it is included in the room rate.
I also wonder whether you can abridge some of your listing detail - there is a LOT of info there and some people may prefer bullet points? Particularly non English speakers who get frustrated with Google Translate…just a thought.
Once you get your first review, you’ll be away laughing - good luck!

Hey suzehamling, yep we have unlimited wifi access so I will make that a top priority point. And yes I agree maybe I should make it more accessible to other languages. Thanks for your advise. Got 4 bookings now, one already in so I am on my way now I think!

3 Likes

Anything yet? I just added your listing to my saved lists. Everyone else here should do that too, it helps your SEO. And don’t forget to log into Airbnb at least twice a day. Airbnb loves active hosts.

1 Like

I have 4 bookings now… My first are in the house already for two weeks!. Got tonnes of advice from here! Thanks. And yes I am on my app at least 10 times a day!!!

1 Like