Help needed! Looking for Airbnb hosts to fill out a very short survey for my undergraduate dissertation!

This reminds me of how my dear dad had proclaimed to his two teenaged daughters that everything that needed to be said could be said in five minutes and then you needed to hang up. :smiley: (oh to talk to him now for five minutes, what I wouldn’t give!)

My own boys are amazed that I have a landline phone that works without electricity! It just plugs in the wall phone jack!

2 Likes

Gen Y here! Survey done. Best of luck… I still have the most awful flashbacks of trying to get my dissertation finished in time :confounded:

4 Likes

Very true. When I did my MA, this sort of data collection would be laughed at.

2 Likes

I suppose it depends where in the world you are. In the UK it’s definitely referred to as a dissertation for undergrad. I believe for a phd it’s a thesis.

9 years ago online data collection in this way was a perfectly acceptable method, but I was told 500+ responses is a good sample. Tricky to find that many respondents! Especially as we were encouraged to construct really complex questionnaires… the kind nobody has time for :pensive:

1 Like

Yep. Dissertation is 10k undergrad or 20k masters research but really more an extended essay (especially at undergrad). PhD is thesis.

And yes online surveys were fine even in my day (2002 for my MA, and then a funded PhD).

1 Like

Where is this? I thought you were uk based but that is definitely not the UK lol.

1 Like

My concern is the method of collecting respondents, not the online survey. I haven’t read the questions, but there is a lot more to it than a list of questions,there needs to be a way to assess if answers are not nonsense ie answers that contradict opinion stated in earlier question.

I love your answer… I do surveys and have always been tempted to do this…

The D word is never used in US undergrad unless like I said things have changed. My son, a senior at UH, just told me he had a choice of either senior seminar or thesis. One included an oral presentation and the other did not, so he choose the seminar.

Just curious. Does the OP have to defend his dissertation, in front of an academic panel? That’s what would happen in the US with a PhD candidate.

That’s at PhD level.

1 Like

Louise, your answer is somewhat confusing as your main concern (the method of collecting respondents) doesn’t relate to the validity of their answers (the second part of your response). You would of course need to read the survey questions if your concern is bias.

New Zealand :blush:

And there is actually a small video hire place where we are in the UK too (inside a offie haha) ‘Video nest’

This is what happens in NZ / Ozzie.

Re dissertation. A dissertation in NZ / Oz is normally a small research study you do at the end of your degree normally called an honors dissertation. At masters and PhD level they are called a thesis.

The Bargain Booze is more interesting than the Video Nest!

1 Like

I think it can vary from university, but here it would normally be:

Undergraduate: Senior Seminar
Graduate (Master’s) Thesis
PhD: Disseration

3 Likes

Limiting questions to a particular age group means that I am able to obtain a smaller sample size and therefore a smaller number of questionnaire responses. It is only an undergraduate dissertation, after all!

1 Like

I am curious as to why you selected only Gen Y if the average Airbnb age is 35 years old. Was that a typo and meant to say 25?

Because age 35 is way at the far end of the Gen Y spectrum. I imagine if 35 is the average age, then a lot of the Gen X and Baby Boomer generation helped to create that average.

In the UK, we use the word dissertation for undergraduate and masters, and I think it’s called a thesis for PhD. I’m studying Events & Leisure Marketing at Bournemouth University. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No matter. You should be concerned about quality of results and don’t be so dismissive. If I were your professor I would tell you good enough is not good enough!

1 Like

The average age of an Airbnb user didn’t play a part in why I selected Generation Y to be the target of my research. I was merely making a point.

I chose Generation Y because, as I said earlier, it is the largest consumer group in the world. Please don’t be offended by my choice! It seems like a lot of you have been…