Help needed! Looking for Airbnb hosts to fill out a very short survey for my undergraduate dissertation!

Hey guys,

I am researching the socio-cultural impacts of Airbnb for my undergraduate dissertation and could really use your help. If you could spare 2 minutes and fill in this very short questionnaire, it would be hugely appreciated.

Will post the results when it’s done :slight_smile:

Thanks very much!

1 Like

I just participated and am interested:
Based on what did you design the questions?
Has AirBnB already been criticized for a lot of these things?

I am generation X. Should I bother completing it ?

1 Like

The items in the perception section of the questionnaire have been derived from previous socio-cultural impact papers of tourism.
Basically, they are the most common socio-cultural impacts of tourism :slight_smile:

1 Like

I filled it out but I’m not sure if you’re going to get good data from us: I already know I’d answer these questions differently if I were a host in New York rather than in Phoenix. In my city there’s an abundance of space and we’re not a dense city at all. We drive everywhere. The converse of these things is true in most cities… so, I can’t answer yes to the question, “Airbnb increases the difficulty to find a quiet place for recreation,” but I might think harder if I was in a touristy city. And on the question of, “Airbnb encourages residents to imitate the behaviour of the tourists and relinquish cultural traditions” I’d say no to that question in my city, but I couldn’t give a “no” if I was hosting in India. Far be it from me to tell you how to do your dissertation, but I think the questions might be better framed as, ‘does AirBnB have the potential to, or in some countries currently (insert question here)’

So, I think the parameters need to be better defined a bit, before you can read too much into our answers.

1 Like

The questionnaire is specifically for Generation Y. However, feel free to fill it out as it would be interesting to know your opinions. Thanks!

This isn’t a pun but could I ask why you are limiting your studies to a particular age group?

Generation Y is now the largest consumer group in the world. Therefore, data collected from this research project will be the most useful for tourism professionals in the industry today. Moreover, the more specific the target group, the better the data will be once I have analysed my data. Hope that clears things up a little bit. :slight_smile:

That’s a valid point. I’ll be sure to mention this to my dissertation supervisor and will include it in my methodology. Thanks!

Well you’ve lost me now, no idea why you’d come to a hosting website to do research on ABB on this generation given most will never own a home to be a host given housing affordability and most that will are currently too young or busy growing up to be a host right now. Your findings, IMHO will therefore have limited validity to make any conclusions about the ABB hosting market at all.

3 Likes

My boyfriend is Generation Y (36). I’m only just Gen X. Some of Gen Y are quite grown up now :wink:

2 Likes

Not necessarily in this particular context. Generation Y may be a large consumer group but they are more inclined to be buying items that are setting them up in life such as housing and everything that entails.

In the USA at least, the age group with the most disposable income is 55+. This age group have far much more money to spend on items relevant to Airbnb such as flights, cruises and accommodation. They also tend to have more technical ability when it comes to using apps or the internet so are more likely to be using a web-based service such as Airbnb. They are now at an age when they can travel as many have no mortgages and have grown up children who no longer need their attention / money.

At 55+ many people have retired from their jobs and have the time to travel - which their children don’t. My current guests are an example. They are 55+ and are on a six week vacation which includes a cruise and a lengthy roadtrip. There are more people in their age group that can afford the time and money to do that than Generation Y.

2 Likes

I’m in my early 60’s and host two homes. I was surprised that you didn’t want my opinions after I clicked on 37+ radio button.

I’m afraid I don’t quite agree with quite a few of your points here.

The average age of a Airbnb customer is 35, which you’ll find is in Generation Y. Moreover, I think you’ll also find that Generation Y have a much better grasp of using apps and the internet, which is why they are often dubbed “digital natives”. Airbnb is often considered a cheaper accommodation option when going traveling, compared to hotels and therefore the higher disposable income of the older generation would not be a factor.

Furthermore, Airbnb offers short-term rental accommodation, meaning it works perfectly with Generation Y’s lack of time and cheaper budgets.

What a presumptuous twit you are.

Some of us, who are not in that age range, or even close, actually built the damn internet. We built the first apps, but we created apps that made a huge difference in the world; not apps that put mustaches on pictures. We put people on the moon. We built rockets. We built the first spreadsheet. We invented email.

5 Likes

You’re right, we disagree. :slight_smile:

The average age of an Airbnb user may be 25 but many hosts find that they host mainly older people. And does ‘use’; include hosts? And children who travel with their parents?

I will not ‘also find’ that Generation Y is more accustomed to apps and the internet. Most people of 55+ have been using the internet since today’s 25 year olds were toddlers. Many have been using apps since those twenty five years olds were ten years old and few parents in those days would let their kids use iPhones.

You are also incorrect in saying that Airbnb is a cheaper option. It might be ‘considered’ a cheaper option but in many cases it isn’t, especially when Airbnb and cleaning fees are taken into account. Many, many listings are more expensive than cheap hotels.

Over 55s are also often more adventurous when it comes to different types of accommodation and there have always been cheap STRs for younger people - hostels and so on.

2 Likes

Oh no a second one on the same day. Just barge in demanding we help answer surveys that aren’t related to our forum, then argue with forum members. Makes me want to go to the link and post nonsense answers.

3 Likes

@Dom_Richards was very polite in asking us to participate and explained a little bit about his survey. People had questions, and he answered to the best of his abilities, probably what teachers have told him. Give him a break, and don’t go insulting him please.

The fact that others come barging in, and ask to participate without ANY explanation is not his fault.

Sorry, I call ageism wherever I see it.

1 Like

when I read this post earlier there was no introduction, just a request we answer survey, I thought the two posts were from the same poster. Obviously the post has been edited.