Help! My guest is having a horrible stay!

There are so many places I want to visit, so little time.

Stick around the forum and you will also make some great friends!!! :grinning::two_hearts:

1 Like

Like the guests who stayed in my new rental on July 4th and wrote in the review that there was so much noise all around the house that they couldnā€™t sleep.

3 Likes

Suggest she relocate outside the city. To stay in the French Quarter and complain about noise is like staying on a farm and complaining about cows mooing. Tell her she can cancel anytime. When she slams you in the review calmly point out where the place is. Potential guests will pay as much attention to your comments as her review.

1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™m not going to give her the pleasure of ruining my listing. Iā€™m going take the advice of others in the forum and just delete the listing since she was my first guests. Iā€™ve had one guest since then who was a super host and he had no problem and told me the place was beautiful. I also got a very heartwarming note from the guests who were staying next door while she was there. Sheā€™s just being a ā€œprincessā€. I have two more guests staying who booked before she wrote her review so iā€™m deleting it after their stay.

If you get two more good reviews I think Iā€™d just let the listing stand. 3 five star, nicely worded reviews should be enough to counteract hers. She will just look unreasonable and itā€™s not that horrible of a review. The only reason I can think of to start over would be your comment about the free night. You might not want prospective guests to know about that.

2 Likes

I thought I was helping my situation, but I guess not. Now I really want to start over!

1 Like

Danaā€¦ I would not worry too muchā€¦ but if you are concerned, call Air. They will let you edit your response.

I wouldnā€™t have been so nice to her. The reference to the free night is rather vague but I think possibly in this case, donā€™t answer. Plus your review of her is quite the contrast, should anyone be following the trail of reviews and responses.

Alsoā€¦ if you do edit, fix baring. Itā€™s BEARING. :rofl: but honestly, I might just ask Air to remove that response and either carry on or restart.

Your place is awesome and this stinker will soon be at the bottom of the barrel!

Youā€™re right! :sob::joy::rofl:. I was a corporate account manager for over 10 years (Iā€™m doing property management and Airbnb full time now). You would think I knew how to do this by now! Business clients are so different than dealing with the general public consumer! Iā€™m just gonna call it quits and restart. Festival season (the most lucrative season) will be over soon so I canā€™t afford to wait for other reviews to cancel out hers.

2 Likes

What an awful guest. No matter how you try to prepare people for urban realities, there will always be a few who just donā€™t get it, even IF they read the description.

I had guest not too long ago who complained about noise. A block away, there had been a bad car wreck in which people were injured. The sirens bothered them ā€“ such compassionate folks! It was in the middle of the afternoon, and they complained to me that it disturbed their nap. They asked for a partial refund, and I declined. Lucky for me, they referred to that in their review and Airbnb agreed to remove it. Their request was face to face, and I reiterated my response via the app messaging.

They said they were country people and not used to noise, and referred to the part in my listing where I say we live in a quiet corner of the historic district.

After a few years of hosting, I am still surprised sometimes by what people will do/say.

3 Likes

just politely say - you totally understand her issues and offer her a refund and suggest some other places in town to stay
then its up to her to chose - you say in your rebuttal review if she does a dirty review - that you offered her every opportunity to find somewhere that suited her needs and she chose to stay - if she does
not your problem!!!

Good grief.

Thanks for the reminder. I live near a hospital with a helipad. Sometimes helicopters fly right overhead rather low and even if they come from another direction the pad is about a quarter mile from me.

This takes the cake for the most ridiculous guest behavior in the history of Airbnb. What self entitled, selfish little jerks. Wonder if they would have the same view if it had been their child, mother or other relative was in that ambulance getting rushed to trauma. And then to put it in a review!!!

This is a perfect example of how low things have gone. Of course you didnā€™t refund, you are smart and not playing that game. But how many new hosts would have been a shrinking violet and refunded because guest nap time was interrupted. Just unbelievable!!!

2 Likes

Ha! Well, it wasnā€™t as ridiculous as the little creeps who stuffed the potty full of TP and orange peels (???) and clogged itā€¦but yeah, I thought complaining about sirens was awful. Face to face, I appealed (to no avail) to their compassion. They just looked at me like I had two heads. I couldnā€™t WAIT until they hit the road. Their review made me sick. Luckily, Airbnb agreed. <<whining voice of guest, ā€œBUT YOU SAID IT WAS QUIETā€¦ā€>>>

Well, at least you know what not to promise in your listing anymore.

Itā€™s always safer to ā€œsoftenā€ the positives somewhat so you canā€™t be held accountable to a higher standard.

(Frankly, if it were meā€¦Iā€™d be tempted (once the review period was over) to send those obtuse guests a personal note and let them know how ridiculous they were to blame the sirens of emergency vehicles on your rental.)

1 Like

The relative quietness of our neighborhood is a selling point in a town where tourist buses blaring their BS ghost stories pass just feet from the front doors of many houses in more central locationsā€¦ But itā€™s a city, and one of the first things I say in my walk-through is ā€œthis is a sweet, safe neighborhood, but we are in a cityā€ (in reference to keeping their entrance gate locked). These people were spoiled children of the first order, and I did follow up via a message when I was in the process of talking to Airbnb post-review. Then I blocked them. Airbnb CS was really nice about it, and agreed that their complaints were ridiculous. I knew I was in for a rough stay the minute they pulled up. The next guests were great. So it goes.

1 Like

ā€œThen I blocked them.ā€

Yaaay! ā€¦ :laughing:

3 Likes

Well done youā€™ve made so many other peopleā€™s lives easier by doing this should she book with Airbnb again!

1 Like

Technically, Scotland gave the world ACDC as the founding brothers as well as their most revered singer (Bonā€¦RIP) were born Glaswegian! And I think Brian Johnson was a Geordie IIRC? Sorry to resurrect this thread but I cant let an ACDC reference get by. :wink: You can have Kylie though.

Perhaps an area rug would help a bit and a white noise machine.

Iā€™ll give you that. Also Jimmy Barnes - from Glasgow. Not well known outside Australia but lead singer of Australiaā€™s most famous rock band Cold Chisel. Also Olivia Newton John and The Bee Gees from England, Nicole Kidman and Mel Gibson from the US, Russel Crowe, Phar Lap (a horse), pavlova (a dessert) and Crowded House from NZ. Anyone who sets foot in Australia and is subsequently famous we consider one of our own.

2 Likes