Help! How would you respond to this guest?

THIS. And it’s amazing how quickly things can go from fine to off the rails when communicating, in any format. That’s why I want all of it on the platform.

2 Likes

No need to apologize - it’s obvious my semi-humorous rant did not come off that way. This gal’s comments just hit a nerve, and I needed to vent. Along the way, I learned that my messaging could be made better, so it’s a win.

4 Likes

Have you provided her with contact numbers for the co-host. @CeeBee?

There might be all sorts of reasons the guest can’t access the app or an emergency where they need to call

Personally I have set up my self check in instructions so they get sent out through Airbnb three days before.

This gives guests time to download/print before they set off. I wouldn’t leave sending them to your check-in day as it makes it harder for those travelling distances to pick them up.

While I appreciate you wanting yo keep everything on the app, I think an emergency phone contact is an essential.

Yes, but sometimes it’s far more efficient to have direct contact with the guest.

We’re in the historic district of a Spanish city where the streets are all very narrow, all one way and our parking garage is 300m away, via the same narrow one way streets. When guests arrive by car they have to unload their luggage and then one of us has to take them to the garage. We need to know a fairly accurate ETA and the app just doesn’t work for that. We get guests to send an SMS or a WhatsApp message when they are 15/20mins away.

Only ever been marked down for check in once on Airbnb, because “we were hard to find” :roll_eyes:

JF

The welcome letter (left on the dining room table inside the apartment) has my co-host’s phone number on it (“in case of emergency”), as well as instructions to knock on his door if she needs anything - his apartment is right below hers, she has to walk past his door to get to hers. I really can’t make it much easier for her.

1 Like

Good that you have shared this additional information not in your original post. @CeeBee

However I stand by my point that it is useful for you to share check in instructions before the morning of their arrival, to make it easier for long distance travellers and those that like to print out their check in instructions.

They’re visible to her three days before check in, all she has to do is log in to her account.

1 Like

Get off the ledge!! NOT EVERYONE has or wants a smart phone.

Send the guest your checkin information via the Airbnb Message system which works on real computers.

If I had to “download the app”, I would cancel my account with Airbnb and go elsewhere. Same thing with Texting.

I – and tens of thousands of others like me – have a portable phone. It is used to make telephone calls, not texts, not as a camera, not as a music machine, not a portable movie screen, not an e-book reader. I have other, better, dedicated devices to do those things, and I darn well like life that way.

2 Likes

Yes you can, you can text or call directly and make it easier. You will not make it easier would be a better statement.

RR

Yes, of course. I should have written, “I feel that this is sufficient.”

Look, I’ve had other guests who have reached out to me immediately after booking, or a week or two ahead of arrival, to ask about check in, and I’ve always provided them with full instructions then and there. I’m happy to hold the hand of new users in this way. This woman responded to my message in a sarcastic and snotty way, IMO, when there was no need to do so. Two of her seven previous reviews contain comments from others hosts alluding to communication issues, so I don’t think I’m imagining things here. I am uncomfortable with this guest, but will host her anyway and hope for the best. She’s in good hands with my charming co-host during my absence.

I think my reply to her, acknowledging that the app wasn’t required but might be convenient, was appropriate. I haven’t received any further communication from her, which I take as a positive sign (perhaps she recognizes how rude she sounded in her reply; I certainly hope so). I’ve also changed my messaging to prevent triggering this response in other app-averse guests in the future.

I’m off to finish packing and head to the airport. Will report back if there are any further developments.

1 Like

So mindboggling: second post that I read yesterday from hosts complaining about perceived smallities and thinking about flippantly cancelling guests due to arrive soon.

As all hosts are different, have different hosting styles so are the guests.

@Brandt, it’s not exactly true that Airbnb communications get sent to regular text. Only the first line or so of the message goes through to text. To see the whole message, the user has to read it on the Airbnb app or the Airbnb website. And to respond to the message, the Airbnb app or website has to be used. Responding to the text message doesn’t actually get sent to the sender.

And not everyone receives email on their phone. I don’t.

Have a nice holiday :airplane: and forget all this shit for a while. The guest will manage.

JF

2 Likes

If a person doesn’t have email or a web browser on their phone, then they won’t be able to have apps.

No idea what you mean here. What I said is that Airbnb messages don’t go through as regular texts and can’t be replied to as regular texts.

Airbnb will solve all the anti-App attitudes for us in a few years. Airbnb will only be available as an app and a smartphone will be as necessary to use it as Uber and Lyft already are.

1 Like

Ok, put in your rules guests must have the app if you feel so strongly.

Not necessarily. Believe it or not there are people technologically challenged out there, who still use Blackberry, old and so on. I personally am reluctant on downloading unnecessary apps on my older phone that’s almost full. I do have the ABB app because Im a host. If I were a simple guest, if I travel rarely I probably wouldn’t bother downloading it. I’d just put the address on waze and the check code or lockbox code as note and save the host’s phone number. These people probably access their airbnb on their desktop computer, so don’t be so harsh on them.

I personally don’t care where the guests receive the instructions. I send them as message on the platform. How they decide to access it is their choice. I don’t have automated response but I do have a standard instruction text I send out. I also attach pictures of the house etc.

But whatever suits you. Cancel if you like.

I usually send the instructions with the code like a week before their trip. this way they have plenty of time to read it, email it, print it or whatever!
It’s not like they will show up earlier or something. Even if they did, my place will be occupied with other guests!

I personally hate apps. I have 80 on my phone no free space at all and if someone tells me to download their app I’d argue with them. My friends for instance, wanted me to download an app called Zelle to pay each other in situations like we travel together and stuff. It’s from a local bank here, we all use. Instead I said no way. I use paypal and that’s it.

So I wouldn’t be so harsh and shove an app down my guests throat.

1 Like

You’re even worse than me. :slight_smile:

Like you, I’ve had it up to here with apps. I fully understand guests don’t want to download yet another and it’s important to me that guests are happy with the services I provide and not angry or fed up about it all.

Mind you, I’m on site so there’s no need for any convoluted contact arrangements - guests can simply come and knock on my door.