Help for a review of Airbnb newbies that were super nice but bad guests

I haven’t posted since my last “rant” review regarding the guests who threw cigarette butts into the dry woods behind my place. Since you all mostly suggested that I run “bad” reviews by you – here’s my current dilemma: super nice early 60’s couple, first time Airbnb-ers, they absolutely loved my place – BUT – they damaged the floors, broke one of the window shade pulls, and trashed the walls with their luggage (the second offense is much easier to fix). As far as house rules infractions – they clearly brought their coffee into the bedrooms, didn’t take out the garbage, brought in the outdoor metal chairs (which is probably how my wood floor got gouged) – even though I have wood outdoor chairs that are fine to bring in, and left a lot of lights on. As far as minor annoyances – they moved a lot of stuff around, took things out and didn’t put them back, blew out a circuit breaker and didn’t tell me, soiled some towels, and left a huge mess. But, they were really, really nice and told me at least three times how much they loved my place. They have already left their review. How should I write their review? I was thinking about saying how nice they are and that they were newbies and that I have given them lots of advice, after their stay, as how to be better Airbnb guests, so maybe they will be better the next time. Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

First question - would you host them again?

You know, that is my biggest dilemma. My gut instinct is “no”, because I am always fully booked from the beginning of May through October, so I don’t really need them as repeat guests. But, I really liked them! It used to be that the 20 and 30-somethings were my biggest headaches. Now it’s the middle-aged newbies. They have no idea what Airbnb is all about (where the heck are all the Airbnb ads we used to see?!). I guess I would, only if they agreed to be much more careful and follow my house rules.

Fortunately, my 18 year-old daughter cleans for me for a set amount. She will be logging 7 hours into this cleaning, instead of the usual 3 to 4. I guess I should ask her if she thought it was worth what I pay her. As a side note, she graduated from high school last month and is saving to backpack through Europe this fall. I asked her if she was going to get a “real job” this summer and she responded, “Why would I?” Clearly, I am paying her too much :slight_smile:

1 Like

They were being charming and giving compliments in order to get away with inconsiderate behaviour. That’s not nice at all. Either that or they’re clueless and incapable of looking after a place. Either way we don’t want them. Better off in an hotel where they have the funds and staff to pick up after them. Home sharing means guests taking responsibility.

4 Likes

Review? ‘They were charming but gouged holes in my wooden floor, left badly soiled towels …’. Don’t overcomplicate things, just tell the truth!

2 Likes

Look at it this way - imagine that a family member was also running an Airbnb. (Maybe your daughter or your mum, or possibly your best friend). This person asked you about these guests - would you recommend them?

“Hi Mom, Mr & Mrs X have just requested a stay with me and I think they stayed with you once. Do you recommend them? Shall I accept?”

What would you say?

Then say that in the review - please.

After all, hopefully we at the forum and your other fellow hosts are your sort-of family. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would ask them to pay for the floors if they are really “gouged” if they are scratched then suck it up buttercup reading this makes me think I would not stay with you. The blinds broke, shit happens. The luggage scuffs, to be expected and the circuit breaker is on you.

RR

It’s not Miss Congeniality, you didn’t even share space with them. How nice they are for a whole house rental is quite low on my list of “need to knows” as a fellow host. So please detail all the no nos as you did in your OP. At the end I’d put something about how personable they are if you are sharing space with them but if you want guests who care properly for your rental you’re out of luck with this couple.

1 Like

@sandy2 They might be saying that they loved your place but do not necessarily count on a stellar review from them! You might actually be surprised! If they are as clueless as they seem, they might actually knock down some stars. Or, as someone else suggested, they were trying to flatter you in order to get away with their behaviour. I’m telling you this so that you could overcome your bad feelings about posting an honest review. Just tell the truth.

2 Likes

@sandy2

Ugh. It’s overcast and drizzly here and it’s affecting my usual cheerful disposition. Here’s the result:

Sadly, this delightful couple was careless and left my place worse off than when they arrived. It took my cleaner twice as long (7 hrs.!) to try and restore everything to the way it was. Unfortunately, the walls were damaged by their luggage and the floor was scratched from them dragging metal patio chairs into the house. Towels were left permanently stained and neither the House Rules nor the printed departure instructions were followed. “Ed and “Doris” are clueless about leaving a place as nice as they found it and undamaged. Two stars.

5 Likes

How do people get to their “early sixties” and not know how to treat someone else’s house? I don’t think this is charming behaviour, I think it’s monumentally selfish! Even giving them the benefit of the doubt and supposing that they just had a run of bad luck, unless they apologised profusely and offered payment for any damage then they are NOT good guests and are going to be just as bad for the next host!

4 Likes

I will have to steal some of your verbiage – thank you!

You are all giving me the advice I need – thank you!

This is the review I left: Isabel and Tom are lovely people and were Airbnb newbies. Sadly, this delightful couple was careless and left my place worse off than when they arrived. It took my daughter twice as long (7 hrs.!) to try and restore everything to the way it was. Unfortunately, the walls were damaged by their luggage and my wood floor was badly scratched and gouged. A number of House Rules were not followed and the whole place was a mess. I have given Isabel a “primer” on being an Airbnb guest, as opposed to a hotel guest, so I am hoping they will be better next time. You might want to confirm that they have read your entire listing and agree to the house rules.

They left me an outstanding review, all five stars ……

3 Likes

We sorta knew they would leave you 5 stars, and deservedly so because you obviously provided them with a 5-star accommodation and they realized it. They were just dolts for not knowing they had certain responsibilities as guests regardless that they paid for the experience.

I know it’s uncomfortable to be critical of seniors because it is expected that with age comes wisdom but it had to be done. If the tables were turned, they would also feel the sting of housing someone who did not take care of their property.

Yours is the only “report card” they will receive about their stay and they need to know how it impacted you and how it may also affect their chances with future home rentals. Now that it’s out-there via a review, it will be up to them to convince their future hosts that they have learned…and changed their ways.

Sometimes though, it’s a matter of old dogs, new tricks. They may decide it’s easier to stay in hotels.

They already asked me for my recommendation for a larger Airbnb in Boulder for when their Scottish cousins visit next year (I told them that I don’t really know the other Airbnb properties in Boulder but I could give them guidance on the location). You are right – my daughter and I have been Airbnb guests at least a dozen times and we always leave the places spotless. Airbnb is not for everyone! Thank you for your help <3

2 Likes

I agree but also wonder if they’d behave the same way in a hotel? If they’re slobs in a shared house, then they’re probably slobs everywhere.

I don’t agree with this better-suited-to-a-hotel thing. It makes me visualise guests who leave their hotel rooms in a disgusting state but think that it’s okay because they’ve paid for ‘housekeeping’. Despite the fact that hotel housekeepers get a ‘real’ wage from their employers, it’s still incredibly rude to leave a hotel room in bad condition.

Slobs will be slobs wherever they are and I for one don’t want them as guests.

1 Like

Usually with newbies I cut them some slack and just say they were nice in the review then leave them fewer stars but a telling off in the private comments starting with “Because this is your first time I am not going to mention it publicly but you suck” or words to that effect. But this lot sound like a destructive force of nature and shouldn’t be encouraged to return. But stick to the major items not the things which if done alone wouldn’t have bothered you that much otherwise you just sound like a picky host.

Well, I think I did just that. I didn’t do a laundry list this time (I did with the people whose worst sin was to throw many cigarette buts into the dry forest adjacent to my deck – because they were truly awful – in so many ways). My personal “suggestion” note to them was nice, and I did my best to explain to them that, as an Airbnb host, I do not have the option of putting my next guests in another room when I (or my daughter) have to spend 7 hours cleaning and putting my place back together. I wish Airbnb did more to inform guests, especially newbies, as to the nature of this business. I send a welcome email that goes over the house rules, information on where to find things in my house, or special perks – such as the Bluetooth soundbar, but since Isabel started asking me questions about what I covered in my welcome email, I doubt she read it. Most of my guests do read it and are glad to have the information. Oh, well. On to the next ones.

I guess hotels having more rooms so can better predict statistically the percentage of guests who will behave very badly and take it into account in their housekeeping. With one or a small number of rooms one bad guest can throw an AirBnB host out totally, not to mention the psychological damage :japanese_goblin: At least if you work in a hotel you can pick up your check, go home and have a drink (or not) and forget the horrid guests.

3 Likes