Help clarify my understanding of Pets: Emotional support animals and service dogs

No, there’s nothing to notify Airbnb of, just state no pets in house rules, and in your description area, prominently say something like “Our dogs are extremely territorial, and while not aggressive towards people, have sometimes been so towards other dogs. Therefore, we regretably cannot accept any animals, even ESAs and service dogs, due to safety concerns for your furry buddy.”

I’ve never done that on my ad, but since I only host one guest at a time in a private room, and most fly here, I’ve never had anyone ask to bring an animal or show up with one.

2 Likes

For those concerned about animals on owner occupied or shared spaces you should also be aware that fair housing act regulations likely don’t apply to you anyway:

In some circumstances, the Act exempts owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, single-family housing sold or rented without the use of a broker and housing operated by organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members.

Source: https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/FHEO_BOOKLET_ENG.PDF

“we do not have bears”

Well we do now, inside a supermarket in Porter Ranch here near Los Angeles. And there was a coyote in a Northridge schoolroom! 5 and 7 miles away in a populated suburban area.

In my note: Please inform us before booking if you intend to bring a service animal. There are natural predators and no fence or lawn so your animal could get into danger easily.
In my listing: Unsafe place for younger children or pets due no containment, no child proofing, wild animal predators, unfenced cliff and steep terrain.
If someone mentions a small service animal I ward them off with sad tales of coyote predators, large raptors and how the neighbors have lost their animals to these wild ones.

2 Likes