Hello from the Canary Islands

Because many Europeans vacation in the Canary Islands, do you have your house rules printed in German, Spanish, English, French, Dutch and Italian, and placed in a binder?

It might be a pain to have your rules in six languages, but it would help prevent your guests from doing harm to your property. Don’t assume EVERYONE speaks and reads English.

You can use Google Translation for free online; although, some translated sentences are not always accurate.

1 Like

don’t forget Czech, Norwegian, Catalan, Danish, Swedish, Russian, Flemish, Basque, Hungarian, Polish, Greek, Gaelic…

1 Like

@Don_Burns good idea but first I have to crank one out in Spanish and English! :joy: I was think of more of a guidebook, my rules are pretty simple, no parties and please remove your shoes.

@xxnoodlesxx hi neighbour! Fortunately the season is pretty much year round here. There Is a slight dip in may and November, but luckily that coincides with gay pride celebrations so they keep things booked up. La Gomera and El Hierro are my last islands to visit and as soon as my boys are a bit bigger we are there!!! La Gomera is supposed to be the most beautiful island!

@Militaryhorsegal thanks for breaking it down for me, that was so helpful and made the decision easier. I just upped my cleaning rate to 25€ after I spend 45 minutes cleaning the kitchen, but I will go in and try eliminating the fee and upping the nightly rate. Its been listed for approximately two months so will try this until mid June at a rate of 40 per night. My closest airbnber has their place listed at 60 per night, they have a pool as a plus, but it’s shared with the owners and they have their dogs in the common areas. I’m going to add an outdoor shower and some sun beds for the sun seekers soon.

@JamJerrupSunset thanks for the compliments on the description and photos. I like the phrase “race to the bottom”! Very good advice.

1 Like

KKC: Don’t forget Braille for the blind.

Flemisch is NOT a language :wink:. Flemish people speak Dutch.
Or do you speak American?

@Jackie_GranCanaria I would say that most of the time they are not accurate. Best is to have a native speaker (or someone who has a really good level) check every language.

But Google translate is sooo good for a laugh though :grin:

1 Like

Actually yes. Flemish Dutch is analog to American English.

Hey your place came up in an AirBnB on my Instagram and I live in Australia!

1 Like

Whoa! That’s awesome! I need to work on the Instagram more. :joy:

Waving at you across the sea from mainland Spain! “Shipping container” certainly doesn’t do justice to your lovely home … and we have the same bathroom tiles! Leroy Merlin?

Don’t take any notice of Airbnb’s “Smart” Pricing tips - known around here as “Dumb Pricing”. As others have said, better to look at the sort of price your competitors are charging and set yours accordingly. I think you’re right that properties with a pool will be able to charge more. We get most of our guests because it’s difficult to find a place for two people with a pool which is not on an estate. Any chance of putting in a tiny pool? That said, I’d forego the pool for your gorgeous views! Definitely add a sofa bed - it’s not easy for parents with a small child to find good accomodation.

I’d say the majority of hosts here in Malaga either don’t charge a cleaning fee or charge a very low one - there’s no way that a €30 one, as suggested by someone would work.

As far as the House manual goes, we have English, French and Spanish. Most Dutch, German and Scandinavian guests speak better English than we do!

2 Likes

Bricomart for the tiles! They’re a laminate roll which is awesome because the container can shift and settle and I didn’t want any cracked tiles or grout. They’re super easy to clean and we have hard water here so they wipe down easily.

I would love to put a small above ground pool in, but I would lose so much garden space I don’t think it’s worth it. I am looking at hot tubs now, it on the island everything is so expensive. The cheapest new I’ve seen is 2900 so it’s a bit cost prohibitive.

I took @Militaryhorsegal advice and dropped the cleaning fee and upped the price to 41 per night. As of yet no new bookings, but fingers crossed I still pop up in searches. I am adding a small area for sun beds and an outdoor shower, so that will be an added bonus for people and maybe keep so sand out of the house.

I need to get to work on that manual! That is my goal for this week now that the kids are back on a normal schedule after Easter break!

Oh and dumb pricing seems a good fit. I pay 10€ x2 for my dogs to be kennelled when I go away. I find it mind boggling that Airbnb thinks my listing is worth 9€ more than the kennel my dogs stay in while I’m on holiday. :joy:

2 Likes