Heartwarming or horrifying? One month Airbnb reservation turns into three and counting

Meet the accidental quarantine family: Two Airbnb hosts, two parents, two dogs and two babies

“Maybe people can figure out what’s the most important thing in their life: just staying with the person you love, your families.”

For the moment, her family has added not just two wiggly babies, but two generous adults.

4 Likes

So cool - thanks for sharing

1 Like

I think it’s horrifying. Because at heart I’m an unsociable person the thought of having two strangers and two babies in my house for more than three minutes is like a horror movie. :crazy_face:

I’d be completely plastered after the first hour. :wine_glass:

8 Likes

I’m with you on that one. We have a maximum of fourteen days, with no exceptions. I wouldn’t describe myself as unsociable, but when guests have been here for more than about five days they start to irritate me.

As regards the actual article, is it just me or in the first image does it look the dog is trying to squeeze one out?

JF

1 Like

If I’m looking at the pic you are (my first one on a computer has no dog) I’d say no. That looks like a dog sitting on the ground and something like a bug or fly has caught her (that’s Ellie) attention.

My first reaction is that I wouldn’t want a family with two infants in my Airbnb for 3 months. My second reaction is that normal rules don’t apply. I have a friend who will be here for two months. This is not something that would have happened pre covid and now that she is here it’s nice to have company. When one is single and lives alone and no one comes over, not even guests or clients it starts to affect you (or me, in any case).

2 Likes

This one:

walk

JF

1 Like

Yeah, that dogs butt is on the ground. Her legs are splayed a bit from the normal sitting position. Her hips probably hurt.

Funny caption though.

Same here. It was nice to have guests- I hang out with many of them quite a bit. One guest and I hit it off right from the beginning when she sent an Inquiry- we exchanged a few messages, we had a similar sense of humor and just seemed to communicate as if we were old friends. She said she needed to book an airline ticket, and would then book the room. When I didn’t hear back from her after a week, I messaged, just asking if she was still planning on making the trip, as if I got another request, I’d have to take it. She then said she has a fear of flying, so always tends to procrastinate booking a flight, but yes, she still wanted to come and would get on it right away, which she did. We ended up having the best time- we’d get into these major laughing fits over something goofy. We’ve kept in touch.

I’ve always had a max of 14 days as well. The guests so far (over 3 years) haven’t irritated me, altho there was one guy, who while nice and no hassle, was socially inept, so it felt uncomfortable to me- I’m used to having easy banter with guests. And there’s been a few guests I wouldn’t have minded having around for a month, but there’s no way to know that before they stay. When I first set up my listing, I just figured that if a guest wasn’t someone I felt easy around, or was irritating in some way, I could put up with them for 2 weeks max. In general, I just find that I need a few days break from having guests around. I never take back-to backs for exactly that reason (plus I hate rushing around to try to turn over a space).

2 Likes

Wow, I get a little nervous about some guests staying in one of my separate rentals. I can’t imagine what it would be like to have a stranger in my own home for long.

1 Like

I’d be way more nervous with a whole house rental. Guests can attempt to get away with a lot more shenanigans. With a private room, they can’t sneak in extra guests or pets, throw a party, or trash the place. The way my house is built, guests have a private outside entrance to their room and bathroom. All I share with them is the kitchen, and all my guests have been very respectful about cleaning up after themselves. I also only host solo guests, which tend to be seasoned travelers who are socially well-adjusted, quite adaptable, non-demanding, and appreciative.
Home-sharing definitely isn’t for everyone. Even though I live alone now, I raised 3 kids and my previous home when they were growing up was always full of them and their friends, and my friends dropped by a lot, too. I’m used to having other people around.

2 Likes

Well what you describe doesn’t sound that bad. I was thinking like a few strangers sharing maybe a smaller condo with you completely.