Has final cut off for guest review changed?

Further update - she has now asked me to delete and rewrite my review without her daughter being linked to it (apparently she didn’t even stay) as it affects her daughters guest rating! Key arrived, 2 and a half weeks after departure with a pencil scribbled note to that effect. I send a picture of it to Airbnb help centre, they have confirmed all I could do is entirely delete my review, which of course I don’t want to do. Have advised her to call Airbnb direct and see if they will take the daughter off…poor thing having that guest as a mother is all I keep thinking…

1 Like

Absolutely not. And now she’s just admitted to yet another strike against her… it was a 3rd party booking. At this point I wouldn’t reply to any of her messages and I’d just flag and report to Airbnb if she continues.

NO ONE wants to host this clueless woman or her family.

3 Likes

Absolutely …that’s my plan. She has now said that she and her daughter will contact Airbnb. If she contacts me again I will ask Airbnb to block her from my message board

1 Like

It reminds me of parents of difficult students who would threaten to schedule a meeting with the admin staff when I didn’t tell them what they wanted to hear regarding their kid’s situation in my class. But I always had the receipts as the kids say these days, and those meetings were never pleasant for the parent or student.

3 Likes

In our experience it’s best to wait until the last day to write a review. While tempting to wait until the last minute its most certainly important to leave your review as it helps the rest of the hosts to filter out potentially undesirable guests! We usually set a reminder for the last day, odds are the guest wont be actively monitoring notifications from AirBnb like us hosts are.
To note why the help center says July 31st, AirBnb counts July 18 as a full day for a review. Hope you were able to get your review in!

Waiting until the last day to review is a strategy used if a host is pretty sure the guest is going to leave a bad review, but hasn’t left a review yet.

Waiting in this case wouldn’t have changed the mother asking the host to delete the review (and of course no one can “rewrite” a review that’s already been published) when she saw it.

99.8% of the time (and I’ve had over 1000 bookings) I leave the review the first day. That’s how few problem stays I’ve had and always expect to have: none. And I care about my fellow hosts as you say here

Of course the review won’t post until the guest posts theirs but many of my guests are on road trips and will be staying at multiple Airbnbs. If they are like the guest I have now, a new user with no reviews, I want him to get that review right away so he can instant book or get a booking easily from those pesky hosts who insist on interrogating their guests before accepting them.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that I can complete the entire review, stars and text and all, and save but not submit. Then come back a week or two later, load up the saved review, wait until 30 or 20 seconds remain on the countdown, and BAM. We all know they’ll still be able to post a reply, but that will only be visible in their profile not the listing’s review section, which will not contain any nasty stuff from the bad guest.

Curious, can guests use AirReview to see how hosts review other guests?

1 Like

@Ritz3 The WiFi models allow the management of the lock remotely over the Internet. If the power goes out (and therefore internet and WiFi as well), the lock still functions as it should for the guest, since their code and its activity dates will have already been programmed and are stored internally and the batteries allow the lock to operate. Even the keypad on ours has a backlight to allow guests to punch in their code in the dark. Power outages are a pain, but they don’t have any effect on our lock, except we can’t open or close it remotely or program it when the power is out. I usually program the next several guests codes and times in advance, so there’s no hiccups at check-in.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the information. I guess I’m old school and have been using the old fashion lock box but I’m ready to go for something more modern. Thanks again.

1 Like

Don’t do like me and tell a guest they can stay until 3 pm and then not change the time the code expires on the app.

1 Like

We have a KwikSet Smartcode 914 keypad deadbolt that works great. it has the SmartKey keyway in case of battery failure or in case a super smart-ass guest does a factory reset and tries to lock us out.

1 Like

It has happened to me as well. We had friends stay when the place was not booked. They loved it and asked if they could stay an extra night. We were out of town and had no issues letting them extend as we wouldn’t be back to flip it for another couple days anyway. Several hours later, we get a phone call that they’re locked out! Took me 30 seconds to pull up my app, let it sync, hit the UNLOCK command and they were in. I then reset their activity time to suit the new arrangement! Embarrassing, but super fast fix.

1 Like

Love the Kwik set locks. Unfortunately I can’t have any smart locks on my exterior iron screen door and I have 4 of them. The only way would be to have the ironwork guy take the doors off and to his shop to retrofit the panel where the locks are installed.

There are a few that would fit but use an app with no keypad or the keypad is awkwardly fitted into the knob. Nothing I want to use is available yet.

Yes, if you are glued to your phone as I often am, not an issue. If you are trying to take a break or don’t have your phone with you, bad for them. I could also give someone the code I use and then just delete later, if for example the app were down or you were somewhere with no internet.

@KKC We always have our phones at hand to be able to respond to our guests, or field inquiries and bookings. It’s our only revenue stream beyond pensions and such, so we have the time. When we go on a cruise, we always buy the internet plan so we can remain in contact with the property, having no property manager, etc. Our lock has never failed us, but early on I did make mistakes programming it, causing a hiccup. Since I learn from my mistakes though, no issues.

1 Like

Yes, but there are locks that don’t need WiFi at all. They are “algorithmic locks”. The lock itself has an algorithm for dates and times built into its firmware so it just needs batteries to work. The internet access is only needed to log in to your account to “ask” what the code is for a particular start and stop date/time. The downside is you can’t control the lock or reprogram begin/end times for a particular code. The upside is it doesn’t need internet, which is good for those of us in remote areas where the internet isn’t really reliable.

2 Likes

Oh! I didn’t realize you could do that.

BAM :bomb: [as @mollimac would say-- and you, too now!]

1 Like

Starlink saved our asses out in the rural California desert.

1 Like