Has anyone ever had a guest steal something?

I didn’t mean to illicit such a passionate answer. As my post indicated… there has got to be an intelligent way to do this. I’m not sure that AIRBNB has a kickout policy for suspicious guests.

Personally, I stopped listing my flat in Paris and I only now list my rooms in London since I live in London most of the time. My presence I think deters the sticky fingers and I am also able to help my guests better since I am living in the flat.

Alas, don’t be so sure Mari Te. We had guests lift a treasured heirloom - an ebony and ivory delicately hand carved antique chessboard, quite likely the most valuable thing you could carry out of our home in a bag, right under our noses. It was a gift to my husband from his dear mother, before she passed away when he was still a young boy. We had just begun airbnb, quite literally in our first few weeks of accepting guests, and it truly knocked us for six, especially since we had had a lovely time with each of the guests that had visited, and we were shocked that any of them could have done this. One was a professional couple that ran a real estate business in Arizona, and the others had their own airbnb.

We had the chess set on display on our listing photos on the coffee table (although it was tucked underneath In its box when the guests were here meaning they had to look for it, and why we didn’t notice it missing), and the idea that guests might have come with the idea to steal it was horrifying.

2 Likes

I had guest steal my camera, my laptop and all of my camera equipment. They were verified with five different kinds of ID by AirBnb, but when they left, police told me the names were fake and the phonenumbers was burner phones. They also took my key with them, so now I lay awake and worry at night if they are planning to come back, and I cant change the locks because they fit the entire building (it costs 2.000 dollars and I’m a student) and because AiRBnB wants me to pay before they reimburse me for the lock changing afterwards, and I cant afford that right now.

1 Like

I just had my towels stolen. Nothing as big as what has been mentioned above. I won’t make a big issue about that, but what kind of review would you give that person?

I just experienced what I believe to be my first theft, a brand new Mongolian sheepskin rug that was in bedroom. It really saddens me. The girls staying were from a wealthy background. I have not very much and work hard for such luxuries. I have messaged them asking if they took the rug by accident. No reply after two days.I suppose I must open a case with Air B N B but am worried these guests will leave false negative feedback. My feedback is really very good so far.

Put it honestly in their review at least.

An honest one. Did you?

Open the case in the resolution
Center. Hopefully you have some kind of proof of it.

Truly unfortunate. Kind of a feeling of getting violated when that happens. Like I said, a guest stole my black kitchen aid mixer worth 550.00euros. Some guests have also taken my towels and quite frequently universal adapters that I provide when asked. It could be guests that continue their trip to other parts of Europe and decide : ‘oh we might as well take these adapters with us’.

Unfortunately I just experienced a robbery. Sweet you g couple took a knife from my kitchen and cut other guests luggage that they left in their room . They took 2 cell phones,300$ dollars and pair of shoes . When called police it was useless . Police said that it might as well be us owners . There is no camera record.
The girl had 6 verifications. . Airbnb ask me.to give guests refund for that night. I told them I already gave them 2 night of weekend for free
I am really surprised at police. They didn’t even send anyone to check for fingerprints
I am sure If they did they would easily locate these couple. They were immigrants and police would locate them easily by fingerpints.
And they for sure would not find ourselves there . Police said it’s a civil case.
Anyway I am.thinking of putting cameras in hallway .

1 Like

Old thread but new replies… So over new years I had a horrible guest book for 6 bring 9 leave the place a mess and they stole two flashlights, a extension cord and a nice jute grocery bag. Now he is disputing the credit card charges. He was a direct book and left a horrible google review that makes him look like an asshole. I have been soliciting reviews from past guests to bury it, could use a few more…

RR

Do you know what chargeback code he is disputing the charges on? Is he disputing the charges because you confronted him?

If you haven’t already, check out your Defrauding an innkeeper state laws, and theft by false pretenses.

https://www.losangelescriminallawyer.pro/california-penal-code-section-537-a-pc-defrauding-an-innkeeper.html

https://www.losangelescriminallawyer.pro/california-penal-code-section-532-pc-theft-by-false-pretenses.html

Sorry to hear that Yana. Yes, I was too surprised the first time my apartment was broken into, and the police never took any fingerprints at all. Was broken into a second time and they suggested we move.

1 Like

I think that happend, but it’s rather rare. Whisky was once stolen from my bedroom. I discovered it many months after so I can not be 100% sure who did it. I am just 100% sure that person would hear it from me if I was 100% sure. Should be black listed for long time! I don’t care too much about the value of those bottles, but the lack of honesty, respect and morality! It’s a betrayal! Who want a bloody thief in their house?
But I guess the Airbnb insurance doesn’t cover things like this anyway?