Haha! Airbnb says we can make 101% This Month!

@JonYork. @Astaire believes that he has cracked this nut. His workaround did not work for my situation, but it might work for yours.

https://airhostsforum.com/t/new-feature-minimum-stay-by-day-of-the-week?source_topic_id=17296

By the way, im remebering what happened this month now. After the first week and a half of the month we still had a LOT of empty nights. I checked our pricing service and found they were pricing a lot higher than usual. So, I lowered it because it really seemed out of line. I lowered it to an amount that was on the high end of average.

They were also pricing weekends at the end of the month at well over $100 a night, which is really high for our area. I couldn’t see how we would sell those nights at those prices. But I checked with a couple of other pricing services and they all were saying the same thing, so I lowered the price by a few dollars, but left it over $100 and they all sold out… to my stunned surprise!

And as I write, a reservation just came in for the night of the 19th. The only night still unbooked on the first screenshot I posted. This month is so crazy. I always forget that September is a super busy month here. I have the idea stuck in my head that summer is the busiest time, hut it really isn’t.

No --people want Autumn in NY. Remember, we are all thinking we might run into Gere in a coffee shop or gallery or strolling in Central Park. :heart_eyes:. Either that or we will have a Manhattan skyline moment under the Brooklyn Bridge, lol.

But back to your calendar thing. Air won’t block off the check out day if you need a day off. You can still manually clock it off.

Your prices are too cheap. Do you mind me asking what they are for what you offer?

Am the same, it see towels, sheets, duvets instead of people. I have a new relationship with in my life its with my washing machine and dryer, we spends hours together. At the moment am doing at least 4 washes a day and then throw in 3 boys

2 Likes

Do they fit into the washer? :wink:

Four loads today, with one bunch that has makeup remains.

1 Like

I’m in!

I blocked out the first week of school, but other than that we had a good number of guests for us. I flirted with having 1 night available, but as soon as I got one I realized i just don’t like it in that space.

(We do allow one nights in our shared room, and that works well for us, so it’s been interesting to see that it’s about the space, for me)

We charge between 65 and 70/ night on average, with a cleaning fee that hovers around 25.

We only just made the porch available this summer, and after extensive tweaking having it only available weekends works for our family. But one night stays also is fine, so that is a nice balance between the two listings.

We charge 45ish/night, and I don’t remember if there’s currently a cleaning fee or not, but if there is it’s only $5.

I’m very curious to see if interest in the porch dries up early November (what our private room does) or if the demographic is different enough that people will still be interested.

The change in type of guest has actually really helped with my incipient burnout. (Usually by this time of year I’m really looking forward to early November)

I’m not sure what I can do once I’m blase with them… finish the basement? Add a second story? Sublet the front shed?

#boredhostproblems

2 Likes

Yeah, they need to work on the blocking days thing. It really would be nice if we could block days and then select either, A. I don’t want guests here on these days at all; or B. I don’t mind if guests are here already, but they just can’t check in on these days.

As far as our prices, I think it’s obvious now that they were too low for this month. They range from the upper 70s through the 80s. Every now and then something in the 90s and a few days they had priced us at this month over $100.

1 Like

Oh yah… I don’t need to look. That’s dirt cheap. You should be able to get way more for September! Are you on a pricing program?

1 Like

Yes, we’re using wheelhouse right now. The thing is - we’re not in Manhattan. And whenever I’ve tried pricing it in the 90s or close to $100 - we just don’t get any bookings. It really only seems to work with prices in the 70s or 80s. It’s like the low price is necessary to draw people out of Manhattan and convince them to stay on this side of the river.

1 Like

You have to find that fine line between scaring them off and making it competitive.

But autumn in NY, as I said… Gere. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Yep, that’s right. Not always an easy line to find though. It’s kind of like when you invest in stocks you want to buy low and sell high. But you don’t really know for sure what high and low are until you see tomorrow’s prices!

At the beginning of the month it looked like we were high because it was only 35% booked. So, we lowered just a little and suddenly it was 101% booked.

Anyway, we probably could have been a little higher, but I think we got pretty close to the right price.

1 Like

I chuckled when I saw the reaction to what was considered a “lot of turnover”. This was for The Sleeping Porch room my dad and I added to take advantage of summer travel here and it seems this room was exceptionally popular for one-nighters for some reason. I also have a downstairs apartment and rented out my daughter’s room on weekends and my room all summer. I slept in what I call the “Harry Potter Closet”. It was a busy summer, but I work from home on my tech start-up (which isn’t making money yet) and this is how I got by.

3 Likes

September was a little more sane. I also got the suggestion on how I could increase bookings by 11% this month when there are clearly not enough unbooked nights to make that stat work. Their marketing department needs to check with the programming/engineering department before they create campaigns based on stats their system isn’t capable of supporting.

2 Likes

Thank you @smtucker.

My methods have allowed me to get 100% occupancy in the last 3 months (only 2 one-nighters; typical stay: 3-4 nights; max: 6 nights; and at least 85% at market rate or above.)
So, I’m quite confident the current calendar features give us a way of maximizing bookings, with some luck, if used carefully.

I think I’ve made sure in my case this hasn’t happened!

Whoa!!! Are you sure you have a life, Astaire? :rofl::star_struck:

1 Like

Absolutely!! And a pretty good one :smile:

2 Likes

@Kimberleigh - WOW!!! Great job! Keeping it booked and keeping it busy! Your calendars are truly insane. I can see why you were laughing at the rest of us!

What do you mean by that? The calendar is impressive :slight_smile:

I’d outlined it in a post, looks like a separate thread, will try and find it to share again.

Haha, thanks, it’s now added 7 more contiguous nights to what you see above! :slight_smile: