Had enough of this!

I disagree with the posters that are sayig they are attracting the wrong type of guests. We have pretty pricey full house listing in CA Wine Country, and cater to groups of 6, usually girls weekends or couples, but even split 6 ways with our 3 night min, the price is not cheap.

We have the same trouble with Toilet paper, condiments, candles, and random random things walking away. I finally broke down and put a sign by our spices and condiments “Take what you need, Leave what you should. -Budda” I think the issue is two fold, at least for us, guests buy lots of food to BBQ and cook, and accidentally take our condiments when they leave. The other is people are spending good $$$ and feel we are like a hotel where they can nick things because they were left for ‘them’.

2 Likes

YES! I figured out the same. Back when my guests blatantly brought “others” and I sat by like a wimp, I noticed how the party would get louder suddenly with three voices…! They don’t even have to be holding a party to get louder!!

Two really keeps all the commotion down and it’s typically just a couple who is here to relax and sightsee.

2 Likes

So tacky and unbelievable!!!
But I wonder if you write “Take what you need…” it gives them the idea that they are welcome to walk off with things?

I write “Property of Kona’s Studio” on sunscreen, skin so soft and even shampoo! Some guests actually didn’t realize these were part of the studio supplies!

1 Like

This is code language for “can our friend stay free?”

2 Likes

That may not be possible, as these are people you have given permission to be in your home. What about a lock on the wine cellar or a sign telling people not to touch?

Great advice thus far for you. Any chance of posting a url of your listing?

My b&b is in the basement, there is the coldest spot in all our house. I do not run an air conditioning all the time, I just get very cold. So, wine sits the best in the basement. I have no lock there. I know my collection and if a bottle is gone, I will see it right away. I check it all the time. I tell every guest that this wine is not for them. A last night guest told me that he forgot a bottle of wine at his house and did bring nothing. I just gave some wine to them from my fridge. I gave to them 2 glasses of wine.
But I think, I should move it up to my spot in the house. Somehow I believe to people. And it is a surprise for me after I have lived in Russia more then a half of my life. There is a rough life and people there are extra careful about everything and do not trust much.

You sound like an amazing hostess! You are gracious and trusting.

1 Like